Are the water taxis safe to use in Belize?

vabeach14

My husband and I are looking into taking a water taxi to Caye Caulker for the day while we're in Belize. However, I'm not sure how far the marine terminal is from "tourism village." Is it safe to walk to the marine terminal? The cost for the water taxi is very inexpensive compared to the Royal Caribbean excursions. Has anyone used the water taxis before? Are they reliable?

We took a water taxi to Caye Calder a few years ago. At that time, we walked to the terminal without any issues, but I have noticed that the street vendors being more agressive over our past few visits. My memory, which could be faulty, was that it was about a 10 minute walk.

The water taxi was a an open boat that by the time we left was full, mostly of local people. On the way back we were in a partially covered boat, with other cruisers.

The boat was safe (although the engine died and they had trouble restarting it on the way back.) But, if you take one, be very careful about the schedule to ensure you are back on time.

Just tried to do this two weeks ago and gave up. There are no clear directional signs at the tender pier. We asked several people in "security" uniforms for assistance, and each tried to hand us off to the local tour operators. When we ventured outside the pier "compound" the aggressiveness of the tour vendors increased exponentially, so we turned around and spent the day on the porch of the Wet Lizard. Good Luck.

I would not walk to anywhere outside the "tourism village." Even our local guide would not walk outside (to get his vehicle) without taking someone with him. I strongly suggest that you find a tour that leaves from the village.

Oh my! Belize City is not unsafe!! It is just different from the US. The agressive tour operators and taxi drivers will leave you alone if you say no firmly!!

The water taxi pier is about 1/2 block to the left of the cruise ship village area. You go in, look at the boards for the price and departure times, get in line, pay for a ROUND TRIP ticket, get on boat, and get off at your Caye. Be on the pier for your return trip, do not take the last available return 'just in case' and get return to the water taxi dock. Simple. Convenient. Not creepy. There will be tons of smart tourists doing the same thing. There will also be tons of other tourists freaking out and thinking that Belize is the worst place ever because they haven't researched and aren't prepared.

I suggest Caye Caulker, small, slow, charming, laid back. NOTHING at all like any of the over developed places you may have experienced, so a really different vibe.

I have done a bit of walking around in Belize City, and would suggest a Caye trip or some inland jungle adventure.

k... attempted 2 posts before on this topic.. saw both after logging out, now neither are here.. why oh why? too long? are the "powers that be" deleting them? if so, plz let me know..

anywhoo... read the last post & agree on ok to walk down the street staying to the left to get to water taxi bldg before the foot bridge & go to Caye Caulker. did it on cruise in Oct.. part of pre-paid internet booking.. only 3 of us on snorkeling tour to the reef: me, the wife and the capt/1st mate/galley chef/snorkel guide. included 1.5 hrs at Reef then 30 mins at Stingray Alley then 30 mins in a Coral Garden area.

just suggest after leaving secured environs of tourist village.. keep your head up, have the attitude know where you're going cause you do now :) & if anyone asks, even if you don't, "have our own tour already booked, no thanks."

only reason would not suggest water taxi if someone in your travel party should not be riding a rollercoaster (as in the warnings for those rides).

good luck.. we're headed back down next month.. going to do a ruin tour inland this time.. very hard to beat what we did last time.. best snorkel trip in the carib.

FlaFan

Flafan,

Same thing happened to my post, it suddenly disapeared!

We will be down there in mid January and were also looking into the possibility of going to caye caulker and after considering the pros and cons, we decided on going with a company that goes directly from the tourist village the price we are paying is way cheaper than the ship's, it also saves us the hassle of going outside the village.

Just sharing my opinion!

We, too, had this same plan and it sounded like a good one......but.....no one was helpful in giving us directions to the water taxis - everyone was just trying desparately to sell their tour.

If you get off the tender boat and go to your right, not left, and walk a ways, you can then take a left going out of the shopping area. We found that you do have to venture outside and past the guards - a little unnerving - but once outside we met a taxi driver and he turned out to be the only helpful native we met all day. Although he was offering a city tour, he very kindly told us to take a left and walk about 100 feet to the water taxis.

For various reasons we decided against going any further with this. We returned to our ship and enjoyed a wonderful, relaxing day at sea. My husband was quite happy with this -- I, however, still wonder what we missed. But that's just me.

Hope this helps.

Kathy

We were just there a week ago today! When you are dropped off from the Ship head through all the shopping toward the fence where the buses pickup. Head out of the fence and go left. That street dead ends into another. Right BEFORE that, the Marina Terminal is there on the left (on the corner).

The cost is $30 Belize round trip (about $15 US) to Caye Caulker.

Belize City is a little rough feeling - but we had no trouble.

one more piece of information, the company we are going with, also offered us a rate for just the ride to caye caulker of $25.00 round trip, the snorkel package is $55.00 and since we are a group we also got a 20% discount, including transportation to and from the island, it beats venturing outside.

I am really amazed to hear about people spending the day on the ship while in Belize. We felt completely safe walking from the port to the water taxi terminal. Yes, vendors try to sell you stuff -- just say "no thanks" and keep walking, it's that simple -- we never had anyone insist after I said "no thanks", in a normal tone of voice.

To get to the water taxis, get outside the port "compound" as someone put it, and walk to your left along the street. It's a 5-10 minute walk. The only trick to it is that the water taxi terminal is in a building that looks like it could be a store or any other business until you look inside. As you walk, stay on the left side of the street (the one closer to the sea) and pay attention to the buildings you're passing and you won't miss it.

Caye Caulker is so pretty that my wife and I are thinking about spending a week in Belize -- 2-3 days in the rainforest with howler monkeys and toucans, and then 4-5 days in Caye Caulker.

• 2 weeks later...
We were just there a week ago today! When you are dropped off from the Ship head through all the shopping toward the fence where the buses pickup. Head out of the fence and go left. That street dead ends into another. Right BEFORE that, the Marina Terminal is there on the left (on the corner).

The cost is $30 Belize round trip (about $15 US) to Caye Caulker.

Belize City is a little rough feeling - but we had no trouble.

PP round trip right?

one more piece of information, the company we are going with, also offered us a rate for just the ride to caye caulker of $25.00 round trip, the snorkel package is $55.00 and since we are a group we also got a 20% discount, including transportation to and from the island, it beats venturing outside.

What company??

crusin' the beach part is TINY. The snorkel part that you don't take a boat to is called 'The Split' (just google Caye Caulker Split) and you sort of just plop right in. It is right next to the beach. It is a small island, you but it is not a 'lay out on the beach' type of place. Walk around, enjoy the charming character of the place, but if you are looking for something like the beaches where you get a chair brought out for you and drinks served, this is not the place.

Caye Caulker is completely laid back and great fun for a day trip, but I wouldn't plan to go there just to lay out on the beach.

crusin' the beach part is TINY. The snorkel part that you don't take a boat to is called 'The Split' (just google Caye Caulker Split) and you sort of just plop right in. It is right next to the beach. It is a small island, you but it is not a 'lay out on the beach' type of place. Walk around, enjoy the charming character of the place, but if you are looking for something like the beaches where you get a chair brought out for you and drinks served, this is not the place.

Caye Caulker is completely laid back and great fun for a day trip, but I wouldn't plan to go there just to lay out on the beach.

Thank you for the info!

• 3 months later...
Has anyone taken a water taxi in Belize recently? Would you recommend it? We are looking for something to do on our own.

Totally safe and a unique experience.... many locals onboard the tenders and you can really enjoy a nice chat during the trip.... Just make sure you get back to the ship ontime and do not wait for the last water taxi back...delays are always a possibility !

. . . than Caye Caulker, IMHO. But Travel Angel as usual is QUITE RIGHT about getting BACK in time for your tender to your ship: there were, when we were there, HOURLY water taxis OUTBOUND, but there was NO WATER TAXI INBOUND from after 2:30 PM to the final INBOUND taxi at 4 P.M., which would be cutting it more than too close for most cruise ships. IF YOU ARE NOT ON THE 2:30 P.M. INBOUND, you had better start looking around for anyone with his own boat for hire! :confused::rolleyes:

Archived