Norwegian Pearl - What is the kids club like on port days?

Family From Down Under

We're doing a nine night on the Pearl, with five successive port days, and heard that you have to pay to place your children into the kids club on those days. We've not experienced this before (on either RCCL or Carnival) Do they discourage you from putting your children into the club whilst in port? What activities do they offer on those days?

Although we will usually take the kids ashore with us, there will be times when we may want to explore on our own, and it would be nice to know they won't get bored back on the ship. After all, it's their vacation too.

Please share your experiences.

I know that they kids clubs charge a nominal charge if you leave them onboard all day.

There is usally a charge for early drop off before 9AM (and this is only available to people who use the ship tours). Then there is a charge from 12-2 when the youth staff take the kids to lunch. Another charge from 5-7 if the youth staff takes them to dinner.

On Celebrity it is $ 6 per child per hour during the times I mentioned above.

However, most youth programs are open every day free of charge from

9-12, 2-5, and 7-10PM all other hours there is an hourly charge.

Many cruise lines require you to sign you kids up if you intend to leave them onboard on port days (sign up by the night before). This gives the staff an idea of how many of the youth staff have to remain onboard. You see the youth staff gets no proper days off. They work for 6 months at a time 7 days a week. On port days, one or two of the staff might be able to get off the ship for half a day depending on how many are needed onboard.

I know that they kids clubs charge a nominal charge if you leave them onboard all day.

There is usally a charge for early drop off before 9AM (and this is only available to people who use the ship tours). Then there is a charge from 12-2 when the youth staff take the kids to lunch. Another charge from 5-7 if the youth staff takes them to dinner.

On Celebrity it is $ 6 per child per hour during the times I mentioned above.

However, most youth programs are open every day free of charge from

9-12, 2-5, and 7-10PM all other hours there is an hourly charge.

Many cruise lines require you to sign you kids up if you intend to leave them onboard on port days (sign up by the night before). This gives the staff an idea of how many of the youth staff have to remain onboard. You see the youth staff gets no proper days off. They work for 6 months at a time 7 days a week. On port days, one or two of the staff might be able to get off the ship for half a day depending on how many are needed onboard.

i read on NCL that they have a "Port Play" but no mention of a charge for this. I think the point is that you have to sign them up before hand.

We're doing a nine night on the Pearl, with five successive port days, and heard that you have to pay to place your children into the kids club on those days. We've not experienced this before (on either RCCL or Carnival) Do they discourage you from putting your children into the club whilst in port? What activities do they offer on those days?

Although we will usually take the kids ashore with us, there will be times when we may want to explore on our own, and it would be nice to know they won't get bored back on the ship. After all, it's their vacation too.

Please share your experiences.

NCL has group baby sitting (with some of the Kids Crew staff) when the ship is in port. There is an hourly charge for this service and it is usually from 9-5 pm. I believe it is the same hourly rate as the after hours (10 pm-1 am).

Kids Crew will be open from 7-10 pm (no charge) on port days.

The Kids Crew schedule on sea days is 9-12, 2-5, 7-10.

Our kids have always enjoyed the activities in the Kids Crew. They are with us when we are in port so cannot comment on the day time group sitting.

This is why I (and the kids) loved RC Seranade of the Seas (which cruised the heavy port Southern Caribbean itinerary).

They do NOT charge for their kids club area and they are open ALL day while we were in every port. No sign ups ahead of time.

Great ship, itinerary, and club.

Judy

My dd needed a break from the port intensive schedule on the Pearl and she chose to stay in the kids club one day. You had to sign up ahead of time and it costs $5 per hour. It was available from 9-5. All ages are grouped together for the program and it is advertised as babysitting and not an organized program like the evening programs. They told me they might be watching tv and just having free play. It is up to the particular leader.

As it turned out, they went bowling, played Wii, went to Blue Lagoon for lunch, and watched a movie. There were only about 5 kids in the group. We picked her up about 4pm when we returned as she was made bec she wanted to stay until 5pm. Was more interesting for her than I expected.

Just to be clear, the regular program is free and runs from 7-10pm each nt with more hours during the day on "at sea" days.

Have a great time!

Archived