Just back from Navigator (12/8-12/13)

qorc

We'd been on the Mariner before, so we were familiar with the ship layout and amenities.

I'm beginning to agree with those people here who say that the quality of food has taken a dive in the last few years. I was underwhelmed by the quality of the food, mostly, in the dining room.

Our wait staff was excellent, as usual. Really outstanding.

Our room steward was also very pleasant.

We were annoyed when we got on board and that we weren't registered as Platinum members -- even though we had booked the cruise THROUGH Crown and Anchor!! I had to take several trips to the front desk to get our coupon books, robes, etc. We never did get the invite for the drinks reception. I was a little annoyed at that. We are multiple multiple repeat customers - we expect to get something for our loyalty. We may write a letter to the company.

Kids programs: Great as usual.

Ship: Very clean, as usual. I have no complaints on the quality of this vessel. Public areas were tip-top.

Room: We had an aft balcony. These are always nice to have -- a nice, wind-protected, large and quiet area to sit. Some of the super structure of the back of the ship kept too much of the balcony out of the sun and obstructed the view. We thought the aft balconies on the Enchantment were superior.

Shows: We only went and saw Rondell Sheridan. Laughed our butts off. My wife and kids said the ice show was superb.

Getting off the ship: This was a nightmare. I've never spent so long trying to exit a ship. We shuffled along in a line for at least 45 minutes until we finally got to our bags!!! My mother was with us, is old and doesn't walk so well, and she almost fainted waiting. Not sure if this is an RCI problem or a Customs and Border problem. but it was annoying. It makes me wonder what it must be like to get off the Liberty, or, in the future, the Genesis. Makes us want to go back to the smaller class of vessels.

on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 8.

There have been several post on the deparking process do you think sitting back and waiting would be better. That is if we have the time? We will be getting off on Jan. 14th and would like your opinion.

we had no choice. Had to get to the airport to hit a flight. But yes, either get the express debarkation or wait until near the end.

It was a hot, messy nightmare. Like I said, I wonder if we'll ever take a large ship again if this is how it will be.

We were near the end of the debarkation line and it wasn't any better. Things were completely backed up by that time. Maybe if they would allow you to hang around the ship until all the passengers had left you would be OK but I don't know how long they would let you do that. It would be worth a try if you aren't in a hurry.

Just got off the Navigator today and the express debarkation is an even worse mess. Mass confusion, waiting on stairwells (in our case 4 flights), long lines at elevators, people pushing and cutting in. I would wait until the very end if you can. Once we were off the ship the line moved very quickly and efficiently. They even started calling the colors for debarkation before the express people were off the ship adding to the problem. I agree Genessis could be an even bigger problem getting people off.

"We never did get the invite for the drinks reception"

You didn't miss that much here. The Platinum parties I have attended in the past consisted of a nice assortment of drinks. The snacks were usually small sandwiches and desserts like chocolate covered strawberries among other goodies. It was also held in a lounge where you could choose your own seat.

The one on the Navigator was held in the dining room and you were seated like you would be for an open seating meal. The drink choices were a mimosa, bloody mary, screwdriver and champagne. We were served an appetizer with a crab claw on top (not good), a small cajun dish with shrimp and chicken and a dessert. There was no choices involved and everyone got the same thing. Getting a 2nd drink proved difficult but someone at our table got them to serve us another one. Since I don't eat seafood the dessert was the only thing I found edible. It was a waste of food in my opinion. We actually took off early. The party was held at 11:30 am and we wanted to go find a decent lunch. I also missed the officers mingling with the guests. There was none of that. If it had my first party I wouldn't have thought much about it but I have been to much better ones in the past.

When your C & A status is left off of your seapass at check in, you best bet is to call the Loyalty Ambassador ASAP after you realize it. Explain the situationa and let her know you don't want to miss the returning guest parties or the gifts. (big deal, right?) She/He can deliver coupon books to your room with stick-on labels for your category -- or you can stop in to see her and have this take care of if she has time to see you. (Normally would on the first day since no appointments have been made.)

This happened to us for the 2nd time on our recent Grandeur 13 night repo. First time we called the pursers desk and they sent coupon books but we missed everything else. This time one call to Collette, the L. A. took care of everything. She personally delivered the books and even called to make sure we were receiving the invitations for the returning guest parties.

It is a mystery why this happens when for a year our status showed on their website and was printed in our set sail documents THEY sent us. Collette said it is the computers but I think it must be human errror at check in. You can bet we'll be making sure our sea pass is correct before we walk away from the counter in the future!

We'd been on the Mariner before, so we were familiar with the ship layout and amenities.

I'm beginning to agree with those people here who say that the quality of food has taken a dive in the last few years. I was underwhelmed by the quality of the food, mostly, in the dining room.

Our wait staff was excellent, as usual. Really outstanding.

Our room steward was also very pleasant.

We were annoyed when we got on board and that we weren't registered as Platinum members -- even though we had booked the cruise THROUGH Crown and Anchor!! I had to take several trips to the front desk to get our coupon books, robes, etc. We never did get the invite for the drinks reception. I was a little annoyed at that. We are multiple multiple repeat customers - we expect to get something for our loyalty. We may write a letter to the company.

Kids programs: Great as usual.

Ship: Very clean, as usual. I have no complaints on the quality of this vessel. Public areas were tip-top.

Room: We had an aft balcony. These are always nice to have -- a nice, wind-protected, large and quiet area to sit. Some of the super structure of the back of the ship kept too much of the balcony out of the sun and obstructed the view. We thought the aft balconies on the Enchantment were superior.

Shows: We only went and saw Rondell Sheridan. Laughed our butts off. My wife and kids said the ice show was superb.

Getting off the ship: This was a nightmare. I've never spent so long trying to exit a ship. We shuffled along in a line for at least 45 minutes until we finally got to our bags!!! My mother was with us, is old and doesn't walk so well, and she almost fainted waiting. Not sure if this is an RCI problem or a Customs and Border problem. but it was annoying. It makes me wonder what it must be like to get off the Liberty, or, in the future, the Genesis. Makes us want to go back to the smaller class of vessels.

on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it an 8.

You get robes as a Platinum? :confused:

The LA (who is doing the C & A activities) wasn't very good on our cruise either. I assume its still Carlos O.....(something). I think Ovile.

So what time would you suggest a return flight home. I was looking at a 10am flight since the port is so close to the airport. Doesn't seem like a good idea. When did everyone start getting in line to exit the boat with all of their bags. Maybe we just get up early.

Did anyone debark as a Diamond C&A - any experience if this was any better...?

I was in the Departure lounge and Diamond members did not have the option to debark first. ALSO I might add that the departure lounge is in the Extapia lounge on deck 5 forward, and they debark on deck 1 AFT....Makes NO sense to me at all.

I was in the Departure lounge and Diamond members did not have the option to debark first. ALSO I might add that the departure lounge is in the Extapia lounge on deck 5 forward, and they debark on deck 1 AFT....Makes NO sense to me at all.

Thanks for your response..there was not a seperate lounge?....not looking forwad to this :eek: especially after just getting off Enchantment and it was such a smooth easy departure...

we had no choice. Had to get to the airport to hit a flight. But yes, either get the express debarkation or wait until near the end.

It was a hot, messy nightmare. Like I said, I wonder if we'll ever take a large ship again if this is how it will be.

Gorc:

I think from all the posts I have been reading this is an issue at Port Everglades ONLY. I have sailed Navigator from Miami and we had no problems at all embarking or disembarking. Also sailed Mariner from Port Canaveral and that was also smooth! Don't give up on the voyager class ships as they really are wonderful!

We are sailing NOS on the 22nd and I'm not looking forward to Port Everglades at all but if that's how I get on...that's what I'll do!! Anything to get on the ship:) I will be posting when we return!!

You get robes as a Platinum? :confused:

The LA (who is doing the C & A activities) wasn't very good on our cruise either. I assume its still Carlos O.....(something). I think Ovile.

well, yes. Not to KEEP of course, but to use on the cruise. Not big, soft white terry cloth robes.

Also thanks for the info on Lauderdale departures. I didn't realize it was a problem only there until after I posted this thread. Yup, I don't think I'll go back to ships going out of Lauderdale. It really was a sour ending to a decent cruise.

We have always cruised with another line and have 2 more booked with them for 2008. At the end of one of our 2008 cruises in Ft. Lauderdale, we're considering a back to back cruise by getting off our cruise ship and then boarding our first RC cruise on the Navigator for a "girls cruise". After reading these comments I'm doubting this is a good decision. Should I book the cruise? Will I be disappointed? We love cruising and have been thrilled with all service in the past.

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

I think the NOS is a great ship. Don't get me wrong. I was a tad disappointed in the meals in the dining, and I was mad about a) Internet access and b) how we weren't registered as Platinum when we boarded, and of course, like everyone, c) pissed off about the lengthy debarkation -- which may not be an NOS problem, but a Fort lauderdale problem for all ships.

I wouldn't dissuade you from the NOS or RCI. They are good.

We sailed the NOS on 11/24/07 and encountered some of the same problems. My husband found that he did not receive gold status C&A on his Seapass card, therefore, no coupon book. They also forgot to leave a coupon book for our 15 yr. old DD who is also gold status. We also encountered the delay in debarktation, we were a group of 26 and had 5 people in wheelchairs. When we reported to Ballero's where they told people to go who needed wheelchairs. We were told that it would be hard to get 5 wheelchairs at the same time so we had to go off the ship in groups, which defeated the purpose of our group debarktation so that we could all gather for our transportation to the airport.

One of our fellow cruisers who lives in Florida told us on the ship that Ft. Lauderdale port is not used to having such a large ship to deal with. And since the NOS has only been there for a few weeks, they have some kinks to work out like debarktation. Imagine if they don't get them worked out and Genesis comes in, my what a mess that will be. I'm hoping they get better. We too have sailed other ships out of Ft. Lauderdale and have had it go very smoothly. We also have sailed the NOS out of Miami and it was extremely smooth too. So I agree with the poster that it must be Pt. Everglades has kinks to work out.

But don't let this stop you from sailing the Navigator. It is our favorite ship, quite beautiful with a wonderful staff and both Captain Bang and Captain Sullivan have been wonderful to sail with.

So give NOS a try, you'll love it. Not everything can go perfect everytime, just remember that and you'll have a great cruise.....

Sue;)

Thanks for your response..there was not a seperate lounge?....not looking forwad to this :eek: especially after just getting off Enchantment and it was such a smooth easy departure...

I was on the 1/18 sailing and the lounge being used for Diamond/+ debarkation was the Ixtapa which as stated above is on deck five forward. You debark the ship on deck one aft. We decided not to do the Diamond departure and go with self debarkation as it this was the first group to go. A major mistake. IMHO RCI has this entire debarkation totally screwed up. Not very well thought out on their part and when you have no crew involved trying to keep it organized then it becomes a total cluster $%^&.....

I was on the 1/18 sailing and the lounge being used for Diamond/+ debarkation was the Ixtapa which as stated above is on deck five forward. You debark the ship on deck one aft. We decided not to do the Diamond departure and go with self debarkation as it this was the first group to go. A major mistake. IMHO RCI has this entire debarkation totally screwed up. Not very well thought out on their part and when you have no crew involved trying to keep it organized then it becomes a total cluster $%^&.....

Thanks - guess I am glad this time I have a 2:20 pm flight....last week I made a 9:30 am flight off the Enchantment at FLL...oh well...better than sitting in this cold snowy weather....

I thought there was no welcome back party on these shorter cruises. We have only done 7 nighters, and now we are doing a b2b making NOS a 9 nighter. I was told they have no meet and mingle and no welcome back loyalty party. Is this true?????

Our flight is at 4:15 so maybe we will sit back and see what happens. They will want me off the ship before it sails at 6 right????

Thanks for the replys!

As I stated before, this would be our first RC cruise and it would be part of a back to back with another cruise ship. I think we're going to give her a try. I've looked up more reviews and it seems lots of people really love the ship so why not! It's a cruise after all! This is also my first time on the RC boards and I appreciate the kind and prompt responses!

I thought there was no welcome back party on these shorter cruises. We have only done 7 nighters, and now we are doing a b2b making NOS a 9 nighter. I was told they have no meet and mingle and no welcome back loyalty party. Is this true?????

There was a Plat and Diamond luncheon on the first sea day...We did not attend, cause we lost track of time at the bar:)

Archived