Skyway Bridge - Tampa

mays3

Hello everyone, we are sailing out of Tampa this Saturday. I have read post about sailing under the Skyway Bridge. Can someone please tell me how long it takes to reach the bridge once you leave the port? I don't want to miss this! :)

We were just on the Legend 12/9-12/16, and we left Tampa at 4:15. We got to the Skyway Bridge at about 6:15. Don't worry though - there was a general announcement onboard that you can't miss, as well as some narration about the bridge as we passed under it.

Try to get up on a top deck, and don't foget the video camera - it's pretty awesome with only about 10 feet of clearance!

Figure about 2 hours. If you leave on time and have early dining you will have to make arrangements to be a few minutes late.. that is about as long as it lasts to go under the bride.

Blinked ya missed it--

we went to the highest deck- which was the funnel deck. Many people were standing outside the roof of the supper club. It is impressive.

As stated earlier about 2 hours...definitely something to see. A warning though..... If you go up top to see the sights remember that it is very windy and if say you are in a skirt you will add to the sights that everyone sees....

My last trip a young lady gave us all an eyeful.. I would tell you the color of her undegarments only she wasn't wearing any. She quickly went back to her room and put on a pair of jeans.. a much more suitable choice...

Yap, it takes about 2 hrs from port to the bridge. We were all on the funnel deck watching. We had late dinner.

I also told my wife and MIL to look at the traffic on the bridge. I explained to them there are controls in place so that no heavy trucks are allowed on the bridge while a cruise ship is trying to pass under, to ensure there's enough clearance. Those few feet can matter.:D

We had early seating for dinner and didn't want to miss the bridge. We went to the dining room on time and ordered, then we explained to our waiter that we would be right back after the bridge. He didn't seem to mind at all. In fact we showed him some of our pictures on our digital camera. The bridge is really cool - don't miss it!

As stated earlier about 2 hours...definitely something to see. A warning though..... If you go up top to see the sights remember that it is very windy and if say you are in a skirt you will add to the sights that everyone sees....

My last trip a young lady gave us all an eyeful.. I would tell you the color of her undegarments only she wasn't wearing any. She quickly went back to her room and put on a pair of jeans.. a much more suitable choice...

My friend wore this wonderful flowing dress on our Sensation cruise. As we stood on the deck watching the water, we suddenly realized what a show she was giving. This picture is staged, but it really happened.

attachment.php?attachmentid=49524&d=1182533103

At this time of year, it will be dark when you pass under the bridge. When we went, I found it very hard to believe that it too that long to make it from the port to sea (gulf).

A good site but at this time of year, I wouldn't worry about missing it. (I'd rather have the sushi. :D )

At this time of year, it will be dark when you pass under the bridge.

Oh, you are right CorbinCatFan. I didn't even think about it being dark this time of year when I said "don't miss it". It was June when we went under. I wonder if the bridge is lit up at night.

On a business trip to south Florida, I was lucky enough to be driving over the Skyway while one of the Carnival ships went under it - not sure which one - I stopped as soon as I could after getting over the bridge to take pics of the ship.

Next time, I hope to be on the ship rather than on the bridge - but that will be 2009!

Yap, it takes about 2 hrs from port to the bridge. We were all on the funnel deck watching. We had late dinner.

I also told my wife and MIL to look at the traffic on the bridge. I explained to them there are controls in place so that no heavy trucks are allowed on the bridge while a cruise ship is trying to pass under, to ensure there's enough clearance. Those few feet can matter.:D

Did they believe you?

On a business trip to south Florida, I was lucky enough to be driving over the Skyway while one of the Carnival ships went under it - not sure which one - I stopped as soon as I could after getting over the bridge to take pics of the ship.

Next time, I hope to be on the ship rather than on the bridge - but that will be 2009!

Kim-do you still have them pictures, if so, mind sharing them?

Happy Cruising, Sea YA !!

Oh, you are right CorbinCatFan. I didn't even think about it being dark this time of year when I said "don't miss it". It was June when we went under. I wonder if the bridge is lit up at night.

Yes, the bridge is beautifully illuminated at night. And at this time of year, you are sailing into the proverbial sunset...it is gorgeous and definitely not to be missed. But that wind up on the funnel deck can really be an eye-opener!:eek:

At this time of year, it will be dark when you pass under the bridge. When we went, I found it very hard to believe that it too that long to make it from the port to sea (gulf).

A good site but at this time of year, I wouldn't worry about missing it. (I'd rather have the sushi. :D )

This time of year though the bridge is beautifuly lighted at night. The yellow support looks great at night. This bridge has won many awards for structure and apperance.

Make sure you all see this bridge whether light or dark.;)

This time of year though the bridge is beautifuly lighted at night. The yellow support looks great at night. This bridge has won many awards for structure and apperance.

Make sure you all see this bridge whether light or dark.;)

Unfortunately, there is construction going on right now. The bridge was not lit up on our cruise last Thursday. Still a cool sight to see though.

Did they believe you?

My wife wasn't paying attention (she knows me). But my MIL seemed to believe me, and knodded her head. Other friends stood nearby and all had big grins listening to my explanation to her.

Oh, the Carnival ships are always sold out sailing out of Tampa. They need to do that, to ensure there're enough people to properly weigh down the ship, so it won't float too high and hit the bridge.:p

By the way (mays3)...If you yahoo (sunshine skyway bridge pictures) you will see 3 right at the top taken in the eventing about sunset. Next to that it says more pictures. Click there and there are many.

You are going to see pics there though of the first bridge that was struck by a freighter that's radar went down during a freakish storm. The center span of the bridge collasped. That happened in the early 80's.

Enjoy the pics.

My wife wasn't paying attention (she knows me). But my MIL seemed to believe me, and knodded her head. Other friends stood nearby and all had big grins listening to my explanation to her.

Oh, the Carnival ships are always sold out sailing out of Tampa. They need to do that, to ensure there're enough people to properly weigh down the ship, so it won't float too high and hit the bridge.:p

I did some studying on this after our cruise. The Legend does have to go at a faster then normal speed when going under the bridge to help drive it lower in the water. I also read that the distance between the tallest antennae on the Legend only clears the underside of the bridge by a couple of feet.:eek:

I was on the Miracle on Dec. 24, 2004 when we got hit by an 82 knot wind gust (on the anomometer on top of the ship as displayed in the cabin) just as the ship was going under the Skyway bridge upon returning to Tampa. The ship listed severely as the captain tried to keep us in the narrow channel. It felt and sounded like we were hitting ground, I talked to an ex-Navy officer on the Lido deck and he thought we hit ground a couple of times. Luckily it would just be a sandy bottom in the middle of Tampa Bay. The official wind gust was 71 knots (surface wind) at the Port of Tampa at about this time so the wind of 82 knots on top of the ship is realistic. You could see power flashes onshore (St. Petersburg) as the high winds knocked out power lines. Once closer to the ship channel leading to our dock, several large tug boats kept us under control for an hour or so until the storm had passed. I heard a story that a smaller RCCL ship almost ran aground in the ship channel just before us. One heck of a way to end a Christmas cruise!

Archived