Port side or starboard for POA

tears

• Administrators
We are planning to book the POH for the May 25 sailing and want to know should we book port or starboard side or does it not make a difference on this type of sailing. Thanks for all the input.

MAT

The port side of the ship gets the benefit of the full length of the Napali Coast sailby. Starboard gets some degree view (as most captains are reported at least to turn the ship around once or twice) but the "big deal" on these ships regarding which side of the ship is for the Napali sailby, and for that you'd want portside for a balcony cabin. If you are inside or oceanview, I really don't think it matters as much (unless you just want to watch the scenery via oceanview, and don't care so much about photography, which is hard from inside the window).

We were Starboard side balcony last week. We had the most beautiful view of the cost line coming into Hilo. I am on east coast time so it really doesn’t matter what the clock says I was wake early, went onto a the huge balcony and watch the cost line of the big island. When we were in port that day (Hilo) I had the view of the mountains, not the docks…ya know what I mean. Gorgeous!!

Next morning was Maui, ….We had the view of the Iao Vally, Nice beach to look at too, We had that view for two days when we were in our cabin. On to Kona, ship was tendered, ocean view mostly, some island. Last day in Kauai, we were docked port side, watched all the coming and going. We slept with the door open, very nice until the roosters (which are prevalent on this island) woke us early. My husband was thinking about having fried chicken when he got up. It was noisy; I did appreciate having the starboard side after that. The ship left port around 1:30pm to start the Napali coast cruise. We found seats to watch but ended up moving around the ship so never stayed in one place. The weather was bad too, so really didn’t get to see much. I’m glad we had taken the helicopter ride the day before that was incredible!

The port side of the ship gets the benefit of the full length of the Napali Coast sailby. ... the "big deal" on these ships regarding which side of the ship is for the Napali sailby, and for that you'd want portside for a balcony cabin...

Exactly! The afternoon sailing past the Na Pali coast makes whatever they charge you for a port side balcony worth the expense.

Other than that, it really doesn't make all that much difference since most of your sailing is at night and you can always go on deck for an hour as you go into port. If there happens to be a volcano sail, in which case they generally "spin" the ship so everyone gets a look.

Archived