ncl dream?!?

Txcruisers04

I know alot of people would LOVE to hear some posts from these 2 new added sailings on the Dream - including me! I've only talked to one person who has sailed before on the Dream and since I didn't go MYSELF and can attest first hand - I certainly will not share. (Last time I did that I got blasted!)

I do know that I would have LOVED to go on either of these 2 sailings. The itinerary can't be beat nor the price!

My roomate found out about the cheap cruise offer for the 10/10 cruise, and we booked our room the very same day, and we have a friend who's going with us as well. We got a simple inside cabin, on Biscayne deck.

My roommate has been on the Dream's sister ship on a three week transpacific cruise, so he's familiar with the layout of the ship.

Can't wait till this weekend! :-)

My husband and I will be on the Dream on 10/10/04. Our first cruise was the Norwegian Sea about 4 1/2 years ago. This will be our second cruise this year, both out of New Orleans, no I did not choose the cruise for the port, but the price was too good to pass up. Also, we can drive there, from Grand Prairie, TX. Yes we could fly, I work for a major airline in the DFW area, but the flights are too full to get back, plus I can bring more stuff if I drive. It is really not a bad drive, we usually make it to Baton Rouge by 3:30 pm, and that is leaving by 9:00 am. Spend the night there, then drive on to New Orleans on Sunday Morning.

We booked it last week on an interline rate. Total just over 500.00 for 2 people, outside cabin. It pays to wait till the last minute. I will be celebrating my birthday. This is cheaper than driving around Texas, or flying to see the fall folage. I am looking forward to the Free Style Sailing, I want a relaxing cruise, this time, not that they are not all relaxing, but I think this will be different. I like the idea of Casual Resort, and don't get me wrong, I love to dress up, my husband usually brings his tux, but I think he is going to leave it at home this time. Well I have talked enough. Hope to meet some of you from Texas.

My husband and I will be on the Dream on 10/10/04. Our first cruise was the Norwegian Sea about 4 1/2 years ago. This will be our second cruise this year, both out of New Orleans, no I did not choose the cruise for the port, but the price was too good to pass up. Also, we can drive there, from Grand Prairie, TX. Yes we could fly, I work for a major airline in the DFW area, but the flights are too full to get back, plus I can bring more stuff if I drive. It is really not a bad drive, we usually make it to Baton Rouge by 3:30 pm, and that is leaving by 9:00 am. Spend the night there, then drive on to New Orleans on Sunday Morning.

We booked it last week on an interline rate. Total just over 500.00 for 2 people, outside cabin. It pays to wait till the last minute. I will be celebrating my birthday. This is cheaper than driving around Texas, or flying to see the fall folage. I am looking forward to the Free Style Sailing, I want a relaxing cruise, this time, not that they are not all relaxing, but I think this will be different. I like the idea of Casual Resort, and don't get me wrong, I love to dress up, my husband usually brings his tux, but I think he is going to leave it at home this time. Well I have talked enough. Hope to meet some of you from Texas.

i finally found some post about the 10/10/04 sailing of the dream. my hiusband and i are also on the 10/04 sailing, booked last minute got a great rate for 2.,

My husband and I, along with four others will be on the Dream November 21. We are looking forward to spending Thanksgiving in Belize. That should be different! Please let us know about the ship when you get back. I hope you all have a marvelous cruise this month!:)

Hi Everyone,

Considering Dream Repositioning Cruise. Thanks for all the info. Just a quick question for you. Will possibly have two 19-year olds onboard who like to play basketball. Is there a small court? It seems that sometimes when they say they have basketball on some of the ships, sometimes they don't due to location and noise level. Any insight or observations? Thanks in advance.

Basketball yes, deck 13 a nice court seems to be very busy always someone willing to play. Dream cruise 10/10/04.

As many may know Dream had to skip drydock in October because a Carnival ship was still in their scheduled drydock in the Bahamas. (She will drydock in April 2005 instead). Thus the two weeks of the best cruise rates I've seen! We took the 10/10 cruise and the ship is in great shape. Minimal signs of a need for drydock. A few places where we saw rolls of carpeting awaiting installation. The Four Seasons was completely recarpeted during the trip from Miami (10/7-10/10) and looks great. The ship has a crew of upholstery workers onboard that are behind the scenes changing out furniture in staterooms, chairs in dining rooms, etc... It does not look like a new ship and yes there are some signs of aging but she is still a great ship. Some of our friends with us this week are first time cruisers and they feel she is perfect! Another couple with us was on the Carnival Conquest last year, similar itinerary and prefer the Dream. Any specific questions, I'll be glad to answer, but the food is great, the enterainment very very good, the staff excellent, what more can you ask for?!

We all appreciate the update. We're sailing on 10/24 and were concerned that there might be some problems since they missed the scheduled drydock time. From your report it sounds like everything is just fine.

I noticed the great rates they offered when they announced the extra two sailing dates. Glad you were able to take advantage. How full was your cruise?

Did you make all four ports? I know they frequently miss Cancun because of rough seas.

From the time/date of your posting, you're obviously using the internet cafe on board. Any problems there?

Thanks again for taking your valuable cruise time to post your update. All of us who are "waiting in the wings" certainly appreciate it.

Any last minute special suggestions or advice for us future Dreamers?

We did back-to-back cruises - the last Baltic cruise and then Transatlantic. It was great. The ship needs some care which was scheduled for just after Transatlantic, but as seen above they were unable to go into Freeport for this. They had already started some of the renovations on the trip across the Atlantic - they never got in the way of anything except maybe to close one side of a stairway for a couple of hours while they installed new carpet.

We took the internet package deal which was $55 for 100 minutes and then took advantage of every special deal they offered, such as book two tours and get an extra 5 minutes, Lattitudes membership got us an extra 10 - 15 minutes, a $15 bar bill got us an extra 5 minutes, etc.

The library is limited. If you are an avid reader (as I am) you'll want to take several books with you. They do have a paperback exchange rack, but those books disappear within minutes.

The lines never bothered us. The nice thing about Freestyle is you can eat early or very late and avoid lines entirely. Also the Italian restaurant was never crowded and always good. Some nights we just ate the appetizers in the Piano Bar and maybe later got some fruit and cheese in the Sports Bar.

This was our second cruise on the Dream and we would definitely book her again. In fact we are considing one of repositioning cruises either in the spring or in the fall of next year.

Mary Jane

As many may know Dream had to skip drydock in October because a Carnival ship was still in their scheduled drydock in the Bahamas. (She will drydock in April 2005 instead).

We are booked for April 2005 (4/24) and have heard nothing about dry docking. Is there a thread about that here somewhere?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Anyone cruising on the Dream now should have no problems. We took the "low" price cruise out of NO Oct. 10,2004. Not a good choice. The ship was to be in dry dock for 2 weeks but do to the hurricanes the dry dock was damaged. The next 2 weeks would have been a loss of revenue for NCL. Thus the 2 cheap cruises. Oct. 10- & 17.

Half of the childrens area was closed to kids and being used as an upholstery shop. Throughout the day and night there were workman removing furniture from public areas to be reupholstered. A the same time areas were closed so new carpet could be installed. With patience you could work around the repairs and not have it interfer with your activities.

However, when your cabin is without water when in port that is a totally different problem. Each day we were in port the water was off for hours in our cabin. The first day we reported it and was told emergency repairs. OK deal with it. things happen. The second day same thing and same answer. Third day we were told to wait a few hours and it should be back on. Fourth day we went to the reception desk, asked to speak to the hotel manager. She couldn't speak to us at that time. Not once we were offered a different cabin. When questioned why these "emergency" repairs couldn't be done at night, we were told it would "inconvenience" passengers. Guess it was OK for it to be inconvenient for us for 4 days when all we wanted was a nice refreshing shower and use of the bathroom facilites after being in port. The basic ammenities one expects.

The response from customer relations was to offer us a cabin credit on a future cruise. Refused any refund. Granted it was a cheap fare but they want to compensate by making you cruise with them to get the cabin credit. Sorry folks I think this is a poor way to handle a legit problem.

We are booked for April 2005 (4/24) and have heard nothing about dry docking. Is there a thread about that here somewhere?

Thanks

There was a large blank space in the Dream's itineraries from April 4 until your cruise on the 24th. I see that NCL has now posted a five-day Dream cruise out of the Big Easy on April 19. One would presume the time in-between is for dry dock, but who really knows?

Maybe she'll be all dressed up and ready for the dance by the 24th (for you) and by May 19th (for me).

Archived