Best private tour operator for Stingray City?

cactusqueen

We are going to Grand Cayman next April and I have been trying to do some research on the various independent tour operators going to Stingray City (don't want to book with the cruise line- heard they are way too crowded and not as personal!). Any experiences/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!:)

We went with Nativeway and they were wonderful. Very professional, and very fun guides. We couldn't tender into Georgetown because of bad weather, and tendered in at (Spots Bay?). They were right there waiting for us when we got in. I also left my credit card on the boat, and didn't even notice until I was back home from the cruise. :o They had sent me an email while I was still on the ship letting me know they had it. They overnighted it to me, then followed up to make sure I received it. Fantastic customer service! I couldn't recommend them enough.

Another company that gets rave reviews on this board is Captain Marvin's. I've also heard good things about Moby Dick. I think if you went with any of those three companies that I mentioned you couldn't go wrong. :)

We are going to Grand Cayman next April and I have been trying to do some research on the various independent tour operators going to Stingray City (don't want to book with the cruise line- heard they are way too crowded and not as personal!). Any experiences/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!:)

I am cruising on Monday, Dec. 24th. I booked with NativeWays, originally I wanted to book with Moby Dick Tours, but they were filled up. Moby Dick got great reviews from Tripadvisor.com as well as Nativeways. I will be happy to give you a full report of my experience with them when I get back. In the meantime....if you have any questions I will try to get you answers.

Howard

Thumbs up for Nativeway from MI. We sailed with them on their Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour in 12/05 and it was one of the best if not the best cruise excursion I have been on. The boat was great (and a perfect size as they only take a maximum of 25 on that tour), the crew fantastic (attentive without being in your face if you know what I mean) and the places we went were just awesome. The bus and drivers were great as well. We had such a good experience that we are going again next October.

My wife and I did Rays, Reef and Rum Point in March 2005 with some friends and had a great time. We will be in Grand Cayman again next week on New Years Day and we're once again going with Nativeway on Rays, Reef and Rum Point, this time with DD,DSIL and our two grandkids. We saw how well the Nativeway crew interacted with a couple young families on last tour, so there was no question for us which tour group to use.

We used them earlier in the month for their short snorkeling tour. Enjoyed it very much. Met them at the store and they took us in a van to the boat with the driver giving us a mini-tour as he drove along. The boat was nice and clean and there was a restroom onboard. We were able to snorkel and then went to Stingray City. Would highly recommend them.

Hey Cactusqueen!! We live over in Ellington CT!! I can't beleive there is someone else so close that is on CC. We used Capt Marvin YEARS ago and it was awesome. We are going to GC again in August and will probably book with him again. For the price of what we paid the tour was great!!! Ready for more snow this weekend!! Holy Cow.............haven't we had enough!!!

Take Care

Barbara

Macwoman

My wife and I did Rays, Reef and Rum Point in March 2005 with some friends and had a great time. We will be in Grand Cayman again next week on New Years Day and we're once again going with Nativeway on Rays, Reef and Rum Point, this time with DD,DSIL and our two grandkids. We saw how well the Nativeway crew interacted with a couple young families on last tour, so there was no question for us which tour group to use.

We are going in Feb and I was wondering if you ever worried about missing the ship when you used this company? As first time cruisers we are really nervous about this but don't want to save money by not using carnival excursions and be worried about missing the ship.:rolleyes:

Nativeways website says they GUARANTEE to have you back to the ship on time. So...they must be very sure of that!

Here's the link for the statement: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/faq.htm

Question: If I take your tour, will I miss my cruise ship?

Answer: If you book a tour with us, we guarantee that you will get back to the cruise ship pier, before the last tender back to your ship.

We have used Captain Bryan's 2 times now - after doing the ship's excursion on our first trip. We love Captian Bryan's - we had 9 family members from ages 79 - 21 on our trip last year - the catamaran had about 25 folks on it and there were 4 from our family this year with only 14 on our catamaran. They do a 3 hour 3 stop trip - which we did last year. Our time in port this year only allowed us to do their 2 stop 2 1/2 hour tour. Both times we motored out and sailed back in on the catamaran. It was GREAT! AND they are only a 2 block walk from the pier to their sign in - pick up point.

We have used Captain Bryan's 2 times now - after doing the ship's excursion on our first trip. We love Captian Bryan's - we had 9 family members from ages 79 - 21 on our trip last year - the catamaran had about 25 folks on it and there were 4 from our family this year with only 14 on our catamaran. They do a 3 hour 3 stop trip - which we did last year. Our time in port this year only allowed us to do their 2 stop 2 1/2 hour tour. Both times we motored out and sailed back in on the catamaran. It was GREAT! AND they are only a 2 block walk from the pier to their sign in - pick up point.

Hi there

We are taking our first cruise in February and have booked a Grand Cayman excursion on the Buccaneer catamaran to stingray city. We have booked with Island Marketing, but I believe the operator is Captain Bryan's. Is this the same boat you took to stingray city and what were you impressions?

Thanks

Hello, neighbor!!! I'm glad the forecasters were wrong this past weekend. NO MORE SNOW!!! Thanks for the recommendation on Captain Marvins. They seem be the resounding favorite. Are they pretty easy to get to once you leave the cruise ship? What does the trip to Stingray City actually involve? (I know the Stingray part, but do they stop anywhere else on the tour?) Also, when you did the tour, did you have time for sightseeing/shopping on GC as well? Any info you have will be great!

Thanks, Barbara!

Cactusqueen

Pat

Do any of these tour operators have a freshwater shower on board to 'hose down" after swimming in ocean? A couple of us get really itchy after swimming in ocean and need to shower off after coming out of water! Thanks,

Capt Marvin's is very easy to get to from where the tenders drop you off....across the street to the left about a half block....it is a small little shop. The trip we took consisted of a stop on a reef for snorkeling and then on to Stingray City. There was no shower onboard...they hosed you down if you wish but there was a shower I think back at where the boat docked. Their van picks you up at their storefront...takes you to where the boat is docked then meets you after your trip. They will drop you off afterwards at 7 mile beach or back at the storefront. We met the van at 1045 at the storefront then returned back there around 130. Since the Pearl did not leave until 7...we had time to go back to the boat and change and then do some shopping, etc. Hope this helps. My DH and I really enjoyed our time with Capt. marvin.

Hi there

We are taking our first cruise in February and have booked a Grand Cayman excursion on the Buccaneer catamaran to stingray city. We have booked with Island Marketing, but I believe the operator is Captain Bryan's. Is this the same boat you took to stingray city and what were you impressions?

Thanks

Yes, that is who we used - and through Island Marketing. Like I said - we used them again this year because we were so impressed with them in December 06. They take a photographer who will take pictures while at Stingray City and they have turned out great - take $$ to buy the CD. When we went in Dec 06, my husband said it was the best snorkeling we had done since we left Okinawa 23 years earlier. This years was just as good- only 2 stops and a little shorter. We definately recommend them. My husband spent his 50th and 51st Birthday sailing with Capt. Bryan's and he said that there is no better way to spend the day than sailing on the catamaran, snorkeling and then sailing back in.

Archived