Parque de las Cavernas del Rio Camuy

paddy Anne

We haven't done the caves, but last year when we sailed on the Destiny, out of San Juan, we met some people who had investigated a tour there. They decided NOT to do it because the trip was at least 1 1/2 hours each way if there wasn't any traffic.

I've been to Camuy Caves twice (both times in 2003). They are spectacular... But, it is about 90 minutes travel time each way from San Juan. I didn't go while I was on a cruise. I was in PR on business both times. The first time I was by myself. The second time was when my wife came down for a week.

Taking a taxi would be too expensive; renting a car might be an option, but get a map and directions. I don't know if any ships offer tours there, but I would guess they would be relatively expensive. I forgot the entrance fee to the cave, but it's approximately $10 (maybe as high as $15 per person).

From an overall time perspective.... 90 minutes to get there, 3 hours for the tour (including waiting 15 - 20 minutes for a 15 minute video to start) and 90 minutes to get back.... total time 6 hours... if you don't have to pick up/drop off a rental car, etc. Mileage would be approx. 60 - 70 miles each way. You're approximately 20 minutes away from the caves when you exit the toll road. Note: You'll be headed out from San Juan in the morning and back into San Juan in the afternoon. Traffic shouldn't be too bad (I did it every day for 8 months... I drove from San Juan to Barceloneta... about 20 minutes short of the Arecibo exit). The only time you'll run into traffic that will slow you up significantly is if it's raining.

At the caves when you're going into the video (shown before the tour itself), the lady asks you... English or Spanish? I told her English and she told me to sit in the first 2 rows.... Spanish was in the rows behind.... No, there weren't separate audio speakers. The video was in Spanish; the subtitles were in English. They want to make sure you are close enough to read them... it was only a 25 inch TV... too funny. Once it's over, they separate you into two groups... one English... one Spanish. Each group is on a different tram with a different guide that takes you down to the caves' entrance... they leave about 5 minutes apart. The guides are truly bilingual and speak the language of whichever tour they're giving. They are quite knowledgeable and very good. Note: The temperature inside the caves is about 68 degrees.... very comfortable on a hot day.

If you can arrange a visit to the caves, do it. But, you probably won't get to do anything else that day. Note: Arecibo Observatory is near (about 15 minutes) Camuy Caves). Skip the observatory. The caves are much more interesting. Note: If you've rented a car, definitely skip the observatory. You'll get lost going from one to the other.

Enjoy!!!

Dave

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Archived