Baby/Toddler Carriers

kalley79

For those of you that didn't see my earlier post I along with my DH and some of my family will be cruising with 2 toddlers age 17mts and almost 3. I had considered getting 2 umbrella strollers and using them at the ports. I am now having second thoughts. My new idea is to get a baby carrier for my 17 mt old and one of my current less bulky strollers for my 3 yr old. Anyone have any insight on this. I am looking at the Kelty Transit Carrier Series. Anyone ever tried these or have any other ideas on Baby/Toddler Carriers that go up to 40-50lbs.

Kellie

There are a few questions to think about. I really liked having my son in a stroller when in the buffet area and I don't know if I would have liked the carrier because it might have been harder to control what he was grabbing at (decorations or things like that). My son never falls asleep in his stroller anymore but one day he actually did and it was really nice to be able to put him at the bottom of the steps of the tholosotherapy pool and be able to use the pool and keep checking on him. Now chances are both kids wouldn't do that at the same time but you are eliminating the possibility. Although the carrier would be could in walking around the islands if it is hot the person doing the carrying as well as the baby in the carrier will be even hotter and most likely it will be hot.

I had one of the Combi toddler carriers where the child rides on your side and it worked ok - I never tried it on vacation though. I know the carrier will work better in a cobble-stoned port if you're going to be walking, but I really would suggest still bringing a stroller for each child or a front/back double stroller or a sit & stand stroller for use on the ship since the distances on a ship can be long, and I can't imagine trying to wear a toddler when I'm dressed for dinner - it's so wonderful to just push them along. Also, there can be long waits and walks getting on board and going through customs, etc. - it's much easier to deal with a tired, whining child if you can put them in a stroller rather than have to carry them, along with all your bags, etc. Stroller fold up so small - I cruise with a large Graco Duoglider for my twins, and have never had a problem with it.

Someone else on these boards was really happy with the carrier they used, but I don't remember what it was. Try a search - it wasn't that long ago that I remember reading a rave about a carrier, but I'm not sure if it was for a toddler or baby.

Have a great trip.

Best,

Mia

IMO, the Kelty looks like it will be really hot & sweaty. Although, pretty much any carrier is going to be hot & sweaty, LOL.

We're only taking one toddler (19 months old), and we'll be bringing the cheap umbrella stroller (which served us well on our last cruise) and my new Beco. I can do a front, back or hip carry with it :)

http://www.becobabycarrier.com/gallery.php?4thgeneration

DD is now 12YO so it's been a long, long time; but we used a carrier for her for years (it was a backpacker's heavy duty model that we inherited from friends). The backpack carrier was fabulous for us, but we did also always bring an umbrella stroller as well.

A few things to think of with the carrier -

1) Get one that is ergonomically designed. If it is well designed it will be much more comfortable for you and your child.

2) Be certain your child is used to the carrier prior to the trip. Our DD used carriers of different types since she was just a few days old. She was used to them and loved them. I know other people who have tried to introduce their child to them when they were older, and the kids just didn't like them.

IMO, the Kelty looks like it will be really hot & sweaty. Although, pretty much any carrier is going to be hot & sweaty, LOL.

We're only taking one toddler (19 months old), and we'll be bringing the cheap umbrella stroller (which served us well on our last cruise) and my new Beco. I can do a front, back or hip carry with it :)

http://www.becobabycarrier.com/gallery.php?4thgeneration

The Beco looks great. I used a Baby Bjorn and I also have a hip hammock that I have used with both boys. The hip hammock works, but is kind of uncomfortable. I may have to see if I can find one at a decent price. Thanks so much.

The Beco looks great. I used a Baby Bjorn and I also have a hip hammock that I have used with both boys. The hip hammock works, but is kind of uncomfortable. I may have to see if I can find one at a decent price. Thanks so much.

I have a Bjorn Active, and it's only good to 26 lbs. Even though the Active has really good lumbar support & padding, with it being a front carrier, I got a sore back when DS got up above 20 lbs.

I also have a hip hammock type carrier, which worked really well for tendering when DS was 6 months old. Now, I think it would be awful!

Good luck finding a deal on a Beco. I bought mine NIB from a mom's message board, but still paid nearly full retail. Also take a look at the Ergo, Baby Trekker and perhaps a mei tai. (Yes, I have a carrier obsession.)

We use a sling for my 16 month old and it works great. It takes two seconds to put him in and out, it's compact enough to fit in my purse, and I have two hands free while using it. On our last cruise we never used a stroller, just the sling. It was great at the buffet.. instead of worrying about pushing a stroller and holding a plate, my son was able to just sit on my hip while I had two free hands to fill up our plates. It was also great at port. He was all snug against my chest in the sling while we were in taxis and buses and then once we were at our destination, I didn't have to fiddle around with a stroller since I was already wearing him.

I have other carriers such as the mei tai and a beco, but the sling really seems best for this age (or at least my son). It's so quick to get them in and out of, it allows them to sit on your hip and have better visibility and see what's going on around them, cotton material breathes easily, and it's compact. It also seems most comfortable, since it's not like traditional carriers which require your little one to straddle a thin piece of material while riding in it. Ouch.

We use a sling for my 16 month old and it works great. It takes two seconds to put him in and out, it's compact enough to fit in my purse, and I have two hands free while using it. On our last cruise we never used a stroller, just the sling. It was great at the buffet.. instead of worrying about pushing a stroller and holding a plate, my son was able to just sit on my hip while I had two free hands to fill up our plates. It was also great at port. He was all snug against my chest in the sling while we were in taxis and buses and then once we were at our destination, I didn't have to fiddle around with a stroller since I was already wearing him.

I have other carriers such as the mei tai and a beco, but the sling really seems best for this age (or at least my son). It's so quick to get them in and out of, it allows them to sit on your hip and have better visibility and see what's going on around them, cotton material breathes easily, and it's compact. It also seems most comfortable, since it's not like traditional carriers which require your little one to straddle a thin piece of material while riding in it. Ouch.

I've never successfully used a sling - what brand do you have?

My son would be grabbing things out of the plates while I carried them, or knocking over glasses our if he was cranky (after coming back from labadee when he ended up falling asleep in the stroller) it would have been a disaster if I had him in a sling. But, my son is more difficult then most.

Archived