Can you ask for extra food?

Babygirl5408

Great info, thank you. I knew there was concern about moving certain bugs from one area to another, but didn't realze all the other reasons for keeping fruit on board. Makes a lot more sense to me know, about why the rules (laws) are there.

I always thought all of our food was replenished at each port (and it may be on some cruises). On our last Carnival tour (I think it was Carnival, and not HAL), we were told in a talk, that all of our food comes from the US, and not the ports we visited. Don't know if we were told right, but I found it interesting if it was.

I always thought all of our food was replenished at each port (and it may be on some cruises). On our last Carnival tour (I think it was Carnival, and not HAL), we were told in a talk, that all of our food comes from the US, and not the ports we visited. Don't know if we were told right, but I found it interesting if it was.

And if I'm remembering right ;) , we were told on the Carnival Victory in September that provisioning was only done at the port of embarkation due to USDA regulations. Pax were really up in arms that we'd run out of bananas half-way through the cruise and wanted them to re-supply in Canada. :p

Thanks so very much for the lecture beachchick. :rolleyes: My life is now complete.

I find it impossible to believe that a banana I got from the cruise ship buffet that I am willing to eat on both the ship & off is going to cause the ecological disaster you predict.

Nah, your life won't be complete till you throw the banana peel on the ground for someone to trip on.

It depends on the various countries' laws, but some allow things like cheese and certain meats. (Warning: These next sentences may turn stomachs!) I think that many of the meat and cheese restrictions are due to the fact that these are still food items that can carry pathogens (molds, fungus, etc.) even though they may be microscopic. Introducing a foreign pathogen can affect the native/natural pathogens and cause problems. Many food items (cheeses, wines, breads) rely on very specific regional bacteria and other cultures for proper production. It's not that much different from the insects and so forth that we can "see" because the basic issue is the same: The disruption of the native flora and fauna. Imagine if a "wild" yeast got into the supply of San Francisco sourdough starter. The consequences could actually be huge because SF sourdough gets it's distinctive flavor from the specific yeast (and water, air, etc.) in that region. I suppose that the places which restrict the import of meats and cheeses don't care to differentiate between "processed" cheeses and meats and non-processed. However, I do know that things like those little sealed "cheese" and cracker packets are allowed to be taken off the ship almost everywhere. So are sealed cereal boxes, energy/granola bars, and other packaged, non-fresh items. OTOH, there may very well be ports which don't allow any food of any kind to be brought ashore from the ships.

I know many people consider the issue silly or stupid or just a waste of time. Thank you very much for not being one of them. I can't tell you how hard it is to get some people to "get it" about what can and does happen. I suppose for some, they won't believe it until they've lived with it. It's really not fun.

beachchick

Great posts beachchick...and...that is the exact reason we have "fumigation" at our U.S. ports. To protect us.

And, it is NOT only food that needs fumigation.

Just obey the laws...they are there for MANY reasons!

Archived