Seattle with toddlers

VPIcruiser

Hi. I will probably post this on the Alaska board as well. We are going to Alaska May 23 with our DS who will be almost 3 years old and our DD who will be 15 months old. We will fly in with my parents and then my in-laws will meet us there. My DH and I cruised to Alaska in 2003. We have cruised numberous times and we went to Bermuda in 2006 with my parents and our DS who was 14 months old at the time. So, we know the joys and small challenges of cruising with a young chld.

I need recommendations for getting from the airport to the hotel (will be booking on Priceline - last time we stayed at the Westin).

I also need recommendations for what to do in Seattle with the family. We will have almost three days of sight-seeing in Seattle. We plan to walk around and will probably go to the zoo. We traveled to the zoo by the public bus system the last time we were there.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Renee

Seattle is great in May. You shouldn't have any trouble finding things to do especially if you stay in downtown.

Spaceneedle, Pike's Place Market, Museum of Flight, Childrens Museum, Zoo like you said, Aquarium, Ride the Duck!, that's fun.

I can't remember what it's called but you can get a 3 day pass for 3 tourist things todo here in Seattle. Saves you money!

Have fun. I love my city. There is so much to see and do.

We love the Children's Museum and the Pacific Science Center. We live in California but with family in Seattle, we bought memberships to both. You could easily spend 2 days just doing those! The zoo is okay but I found it to be a little too spread out for DS (who is 4 1/2) to walk. He felt like it was a long way between exhibits.

I live in Seattle! Here are some options:

At Seattle Center you'll find the Children's Museum, which is good for kids up to about 8 years old at the most. Lots of things to play with, all educational. Also at Seattle Center, the Science Center will have something really interesting to offer especially for kids who are into dinosaurs. It also has a large water/climbing play area to entertain the smaller one while the bigger one is looking at the dinosaurs. These are both indoor options in case the weather is bad (which is definitely possible in May). Seattle Center also has (for the next year or two until they tear it down) an area that has rides, including kiddie rides. And, if the weather is good, there's also a big fountain that the kids can actually play in, and a big grassy area for a picnic. If the kids were older, there's even a children's theater there that does great plays, but the play for that time of year is for kids age 4 and up--but maybe it'd be worth looking into? Just google Seattle Children's Theater and you'll find it. Seattle Center is easily accessible from downtown because it's on the Monorail, or you can also take the #3 or #4 bus (pick it up on 3rd Avenue downtown, or right next to EMP at the Center).

I really love the zoo here in Seattle, I used to go every year for my birthday when I was a kid. You'll need to take the #5 bus from downtown and it'll be about a 20-30 minute bus ride, but it'll drop you right in front of the west gate of the zoo. It's a pretty big zoo as mentioned above--if you don't bring your own stroller, definitely consider renting one. There's a food court there with a decent selection of food right by the west gate, and a really great indoor play/climbing area right by the west gate too, in case the weather turns bad on you. The neighborhood just north of the zoo has some great restaurants if you decide to venture out.

The aquarium is also nice, I haven't been in years but it couldn't be more convinenient for people staying downtown or sailing from Pier 66, because it's right on the waterfront at I want to say Pier 59 (I always forget which is which, I think it's either 59 or 60 if I remember right).

I think Pike Place can be a little overwhelming for people with kids that age. It's always packed in summer, but especially on weekends. This would be a good location for a baby backpack/bjorn type thing, because it's easy for kids to get separated from their parents, and they'll be able to see much more if they're elevated.

If I were coming to Seattle with kids, I'd try to get a hotel near Seattle Center, just because there's so much for them to see/do there.

I live in Seattle! Here are some options:

At Seattle Center you'll find the Children's Museum, which is good for kids up to about 8 years old at the most. Lots of things to play with, all educational. Also at Seattle Center, the Science Center will have something really interesting to offer especially for kids who are into dinosaurs. It also has a large water/climbing play area to entertain the smaller one while the bigger one is looking at the dinosaurs. These are both indoor options in case the weather is bad (which is definitely possible in May). Seattle Center also has (for the next year or two until they tear it down) an area that has rides, including kiddie rides. And, if the weather is good, there's also a big fountain that the kids can actually play in, and a big grassy area for a picnic. If the kids were older, there's even a children's theater there that does great plays, but the play for that time of year is for kids age 4 and up--but maybe it'd be worth looking into? Just google Seattle Children's Theater and you'll find it. Seattle Center is easily accessible from downtown because it's on the Monorail, or you can also take the #3 or #4 bus (pick it up on 3rd Avenue downtown, or right next to EMP at the Center).

I really love the zoo here in Seattle, I used to go every year for my birthday when I was a kid. You'll need to take the #5 bus from downtown and it'll be about a 20-30 minute bus ride, but it'll drop you right in front of the west gate of the zoo. It's a pretty big zoo as mentioned above--if you don't bring your own stroller, definitely consider renting one. There's a food court there with a decent selection of food right by the west gate, and a really great indoor play/climbing area right by the west gate too, in case the weather turns bad on you. The neighborhood just north of the zoo has some great restaurants if you decide to venture out.

The aquarium is also nice, I haven't been in years but it couldn't be more convinenient for people staying downtown or sailing from Pier 66, because it's right on the waterfront at I want to say Pier 59 (I always forget which is which, I think it's either 59 or 60 if I remember right).

I think Pike Place can be a little overwhelming for people with kids that age. It's always packed in summer, but especially on weekends. This would be a good location for a baby backpack/bjorn type thing, because it's easy for kids to get separated from their parents, and they'll be able to see much more if they're elevated.

If I were coming to Seattle with kids, I'd try to get a hotel near Seattle Center, just because there's so much for them to see/do there.

When we went to Seattle a few years ago, I knew we had to go to the science museum. We were staying at the Holiday Inn Express and asked the desk where we can eat. We were told the mall over at the Center. There's only one store, but there's a food court. By accident, we discovered the Children's Museum in its basement. We came back and went to the science museum which is in that same area. Didn't go up the Needle. Our girl also wanted to go on the rides that Calikak says will be torn down. Those rides were very tame so should be okay for your oldest. The museums seem like a good choice for when there's rain (the first time I went to the science museum, it was snowing).

We just moved to Seattle a few months ago with our twin 2-year-olds. We're planning to take them to Alaska on NCL the week of their 3rd birthday next summer! But right here there is lots to do... I second all the great recs you have gotten so far. The Children's Museum is our favorite, they have a dedicated (closed off) play area just for kids under 3, where you can let them run free without fear of them getting away or getting tromped by bigger kids. Then the food court is just upstairs when you're ready to eat. If the weather is nice, try getting out to some of the neighborhood parks. We like going to Madison Park then to an early lunch at one of the restaurants nearby.

If you're up for a short day trip, Snoqualmie Falls (40 minutes away) is quite beautiful. We took the girls up there one morning late in August, then had lunch at the Salish Inn next door.

Archived