Included Beverages on Spirit????

teacher2cruiser

Yes, and No.

Ships that have small refrigerators in every cabin:

Aloha, Sun, Star, Dawn, America, Jewel, Jade (ex-POH), Pearl, and Gem.

Ships that have small refrigerators in Suites only:

Dream, Majesty, and Spirit.

Basically, every ship entering service in 1999 and afterwards do, those built before 1999 don't.

Since the Dream and Majesty are scheduled to leave NCL's fleet of ship this year or next, I don't expect NCL will add small refrigerators to their cabins. Which leaves the Spirit without them for the forseeable future, which will make it stick out like a sore thumb in NCL's fleet. I wouldn't be surprised to see small refrigerators added to the cabins that don't have them on the Spirit at some point of time in the future. Will Freestyle 2.0 upgrade program be the reason and the appropriate time?

Adding small refrigerators to the Spirit's 950+ cabins without them will not be cheap. They will need to run additional wiring to these cabins to power them, and remodel the cabinets (woodworks) in these cabins to put them in/on. Then plumbing for drainage has to be considered. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it would be an expensive remodeling job to add them.

Remodeling all the cabins is usually only performed during a ship's mid-life upgrades, when the ship is approximately 12 to 15 years old. The Spirit will not reach 15 years in service until 2013, not for another 5 to 6 years.

You and I can buy these small refridges for under $75.00 US. Its not a big investment as money goes. They do have plugs there for them already. In a bulk pruchase I am sure they can get them for less than $50.00 each.

What plumbing drainage? the ones there now on other ships have no plumbing or drainage. They currently will provide a refridge for medical purposes. The new small refridges don't use a gas system but are heat pumps....not much electricity either....They just stick them in a corner....where the chair is now...

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1252&parentCategoryId=1&categoryId=10000&subCategoryId=10020&

You and I can buy these small refridges for under $75.00 US. Its not a big investment as money goes. They do have plugs there for them already. In a bulk pruchase I am sure they can get them for less than $50.00 each.

What plumbing drainage? the ones there now on other ships have no plumbing or drainage. They currently will provide a refridge for medical purposes. The new small refridges don't use a gas system but are heat pumps....not much electricity either....They just stick them in a corner....where the chair is now...

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1252&parentCategoryId=1&categoryId=10000&subCategoryId=10020&

Where the chair was, so where do you sit now?

Ahhh, there's the rub. Some remodeling will be required to have both the chair and fridge in the cabin where they belong.

There's one 220 V and 110 V power receptacle in every cabin. Wouldn't you rather have the power ran to the built in fridge in the wall, vs exposed atop the shelf or on the floor?

Multiply your $50 for each fridge by close to 1,000 cabins, we're talking about $50,000. Add the expense of shipyard labor, at $25 per hour, with an hour for the electrician, an hour for the carpenter, an hour for the welder to weld it or its bracket in place, an hour for the fire watch in case the welder catches the carpet on fire, and an hour for the technican to inspect everything is up to specs and make sure it works (total 5 hours and $125 per fridge, we're talking about an additional $125,000. And I didn't include the expense for the wiring, wood, glue, welding rods, pens, and paper.

Assuming they used 220 volts to power the fridges, they probably wouldn't have to change every cabin's circuit breakers, but if they used 110 V, they would have to, or the Watts limitation would fall below the already low 500 Watts.

It's easy to temporary place a temporary fridge in a cabin, but more work and money are required to place a permanent fridge in each cabin and keep the cabin functional.

Here's the shelf wood work on the Spirit now. Where would you put the fridge?

Image-A76B36A6E37711D8.jpg

I don't see a proper place. Therefore, a redesign corner piece will be needed.

that would be cramped, but if they cut out some of the shelves on the side of the closet, it could work...but would still need a full overhaul. the safe is next to the shelves, along the floor..the other side is open, but would be hard to get to, with the closet door and the cabin door.

Safe.jpg.84a7aaf09a007227dfe34d334e2b2b6a.jpg

How about using the floor in the closet? They have the safes in there, why not add the small refrigerator?

You'll still have to mount it so it will not move about.

You'll still have to run power to it.

You'll have to figure out how the fridge door will open without banging and chipping the closet door.

You'll still have to redesign the closet.

i doubt if you will ever find a customer service rep with total knowledge over such a wide-spread industry. with constant changes. over-all, the answer would be yes...but there are a couple of exceptions, the spirit just happens to be an exception.

if it's a problem, like for medication...you can ask the ship's coordinator. one can be put in during your cruise. but if it's just for ice and such, we bring a soft-side carrier...we have several the size of a lunch box. we left it open with a note on it, after that we had extra ice whenever we wanted it. some take the big ice chest w/wheels as one of their luggage, take it along on beach excursions. you see then along the halls when they drop off the luggage to the cabins.

you can see our little red "ice chest" in this photo, worked great for keeping 4 cans cold and extra ice.

1814267613_Ourmess.jpg.7a789d54538ee628ccdb72a31e6dc162.jpg

Hi Cathi,

I have enjoyed reading your posts. Have a another question for you - did you find your cabin on the spirit clean?? I have read from and heard from a few previous cruisers on the Spirit that the cabins were very dirty, mold in the showers, dust & dirt, items found under the bed from prev. cruisers, etc. Thanks.....

my cabin was PERFECT, someone would have had to get down on their hands and knees to look for anything wrong.

i photos in my link are exacting as i found my cabin. my room steward did a great job and without ever getting in the way of my activities. this was my 2nd cruise with NCL, since they started freestyle...both times the cabins were clean. i will admit that the spirt's bedspread could be newer, but it was clean. the only dust we had was around the TV, we had too much stuff up there for them to keep it dusted.

446275811_Roomasyouenter.jpg.305d6a376035924a63081128d2b72cc3.jpg

Sink.jpg.23c97532968b5a207fb004f8554f22fc.jpg

Archived