Spirit Engine solution, your thoughts?

MrsLeo

Uh Sassy...details sweety... changes, uh what kind of changes? Inquiring minds, especially those of us on the March 30 wanna know.can you give us some details?

Are you saying they are cancelling the March 30 cruise?

Curiousity got the best of me and I called the Latitudes desk (simply because they generally can be counted on to be a little more thorough than most and they are generally very pleasant. She actually took some time and double checked all of her email updates on the March 30 sailing and it was pretty simple because according to her, there are no updates on the March 30 sailing yet.

The customer service person at NCL...all she said was that the march 23 was not canceled and she saw no changes ,the only changes she saw was on the march 30th cruise....i asked her again she never would say what kind of changes.......

One of the people in our group got and email from NCl on our cruise so that's why I called there are a group of 18 of us....so I don't know what do believe......I know we can't changed the date b/c that is our kids easter break vacation.

The CSRs are clueless. I've now spoken to five of them in two days. I've even been transferred to supervisors at the help desk (whatever that is). Here's my question to them: Is NCL going to give the $50/pp OBC for cruises after 1/13, as long as Roatan's arrival is delayed to 3 pm? Here are their answers:

yes

yes

no

no

no

As of this time, it looks like the answer is no. Perhaps it will be yes tomorrow.

The CSRs are clueless. I've now spoken to five of them in two days. I've even been transferred to supervisors at the help desk (whatever that is). Here's my question to them: Is NCL going to give the $50/pp OBC for cruises after 1/13, as long as Roatan's arrival is delayed to 3 pm? Here are their answers:

yes

yes

no

no

no

As of this time, it looks like the answer is no. Perhaps it will be yes tomorrow.

too funny. even my ta is not a fan of ncl. He has said a many a time they don't have a clue. 'specially when we were supposively given ajoining rooms and then discovered after booking that we really didn't have them because the way the spirit is built, you can't have joining rooms with 3 passenger each. blah blah blah

I think someone stated this before, but I think they were correct. NCL will wait to see who pays final payment before they cancel any cruise. It makes sense for them, even though it is alot of work to reimburse the money. This way any compensation given for cancelling the cruise will only go to those who put in their final payment and not EVERYONE that left a deposit.

I think the dry dock can go two ways - the repo or the 6 & 8 night after the repo. Depending on when and where NCL got drydock time.

Someone on my rollcall wrote that The Dawn was cancelled on March 30 for the June 2nd cruise- that is about 64 days before sailing. Final is due 75 days out. I think this all makes sense. IT STINKS, but I guess we will all have to wait it out. The thing that is the worst is that NCL has nothing to offer us if we book another cruise on the week of 4/19. Too many repos, transatlantic and cooler Bermuda will not work for my family.

I read this letter that went out to all booked direct and to the TAs of those booked thru them to include the March 23 cruise. All the 7 day cruises.

Dear Valued Travel Partners & Guests,

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit’s 7-day

Western Caribbean sailings from New Orleans, Louisiana

from January 20, 2008 until March 23,

2008. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are

asked to forward this information to their clients.

Because of a technical issue with one of her four engines, Norwegian Spirit will be travelling at a

reduced speed for the above mentioned sailings. Please be assured that the engine issue reducing our

speed capabilities in no way impacts the safe operation of the vessel.

Based on this reduced speed, we will arrive in Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras two hours later than

originally scheduled. We have made every attempt to maximize your time in Roatán. Unfortunately,

because of our technical issue and the distance between New Orleans and Roatán we are unable to

arrive earlier. Our revised itinerary will be:

Sun New Orleans, Louisiana 5:30 PM

Mon At Sea

Tue Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras

3:00 PM 8:00 PM

Wed Santo Tomás de Cas tilla, Guatemala 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thu Belize City, Belize 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Fri Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sat At Sea

Sun New Orleans, Louisiana 8:00 AM

It's not often that we need to alter an itinerary. When we do, we know it can cause disappointment.

Guests choosing not to sail as a result of this itinerary change may cancel their cruise without

cancellation fees and receive a full refund of the cruise fare paid. Please contact your travel

representative as soon as possible should you decide to cancel your reservation as cancellations must

be made by Friday, January 18, 2008.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support of Norwegian Cruise Line. Should you have

any questions about this change, please call us at (800) 327-7030. As always, a NCL representative is

available to assist you.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Revenue Management & Passenger Services

I believe the Spirit uses similar MAN engines the Star class uses, from Mercedes Benz. The Spirit only has one sister ship, the Superstar Virgo. She hasn't had engine problems, but the Virgo is a year newer than the Spirit. The Spirit is only nine years in age, and she has never had engine problems before the small fire recently. On the other hand, the Star and Dawn, and I think the Jewel, have had azipod problems. I assume the Pride of America, Jade, Pearl and Gem will in the future as they have similar azipods, most likely before nine years in age. It seems the azipods don't last too many years before they have trouble. After nine years, the Spirit has done well considering.

The Virgo had problems with her engine once. Still, the history of both Spirit and Virgo is much 'cleaner' than what Star and Jewel class' been through with azipods.

I read this letter that went out to all booked direct and to the TAs of those booked thru them to include the March 23 cruise. All the 7 day cruises.

Dear Valued Travel Partners & Guests,

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit’s 7-day

Western Caribbean sailings from New Orleans, Louisiana

from January 20, 2008 until March 23,

2008. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are

asked to forward this information to their clients.

Because of a technical issue with one of her four engines, Norwegian Spirit will be travelling at a

reduced speed for the above mentioned sailings. Please be assured that the engine issue reducing our ...

NCL has stated its an engine problem, not a prop or generator problem. There are very few things that can not be fixed on the engine "on the fly" provided that the parts are available.

I also have a question as to the "cancellation w/o penalty" statement. Does this mean NCL will pay booking or cancelation fees assesed by the TA?

I have been reading the posts regarding engine problems with the Spirit and the different reponses members are getting from NCL regarding itinerary changes. Since we are booked on the January 27th cruise, I decided to send my TA an e-mail and have him inquire about this.

He replied: "I called NCL about the Spirit and they have informed me that there are some minor repairs needed but nothing serious(one of the four engines will be worked on at every port trying to speed up the repairs), the Spirit is still scheduled to sail although they will be traveling at a reduced speed which in turn will arrive a couple hours late to Roatan Honduras but there will be no Itinerary change. NCL is giving $100 shipboard credit to every cabin affected by this. Hopefully it will be fixed by your sailing date if not expext a 2 hour delay arriving to Roatan Honduras and $100 credit to your shipboard account."

We can be happy with this, just hate to miss Honduras or Guatemala. This will be our 15th cruise and have never been to either of these ports.

Now if that post I read about bed bugs on the Spirit is just without merit....

I have been reading the posts regarding engine problems with the Spirit and the different reponses members are getting from NCL regarding itinerary changes. Since we are booked on the January 27th cruise, I decided to send my TA an e-mail and have him inquire about this.

He replied: "I called NCL about the Spirit and they have informed me that there are some minor repairs needed but nothing serious(one of the four engines will be worked on at every port trying to speed up the repairs), the Spirit is still scheduled to sail although they will be traveling at a reduced speed which in turn will arrive a couple hours late to Roatan Honduras but there will be no Itinerary change. NCL is giving $100 shipboard credit to every cabin affected by this. Hopefully it will be fixed by your sailing date if not expext a 2 hour delay arriving to Roatan Honduras and $100 credit to your shipboard account."

We can be happy with this, just hate to miss Honduras or Guatemala. This will be our 15th cruise and have never been to either of these ports.

Now if that post I read about bed bugs on the Spirit is just without merit....

The problem is if they get in late to Roatan , what is going to happen to the NY to Caribbean itinerary? That engine has to get fixed before it starts that itinerary! If it will be on the fly GREAT! but to many people think the Spirit needs to go to drydock to fix.

Baseline, my personal opinion is that your sailing and all of the sailings up to and including March 23rd will likely be fine with only the delay in Roatan. I honestly think it will fine for all of you based on the information they are offering at the moment, varied and conflicted as it may be. I don't know if I believe that they are working on the engine a little in each port. I tend to think if it were that simple they would not have notified sailings clear out until March 23. Thanks for sharing the info that NCL provided your agent though. Only time will tell what the real scoop is.

NCL is giving $100 shipboard credit to every cabin affected by this. Hopefully it will be fixed by your sailing date if not expext a 2 hour delay arriving to Roatan Honduras and $100 credit to your shipboard account."

I understand you have an email from the TA, that is not the same thing as getting it in writing from NCL.

Reading through the threads here, it sound like the 1st few sailings with shorter Roatan calls will get OBC, but later sailings are only offered the opportunity to cancel. Looks like folks who booked through NCL got an e-mail from NCL. Your agent should have something similar 4 you.

It sure looks like someone (either your agent or the person they spoke to) has lumped different responses to different Spirit cruises into a catch-all response that may or may not be valid.

I emailed NCL today with my concerns. They were good enough to call me today.

They said that they could not give me any information until it is OFFICIAL announced. They did say that YES the Dawn had to go into drydock , but they stated that the Star never did.

I explained that it was a school break and I could not reschedule and that NCL had NOTHING to offer me that week in exchange ( trans atlantics and Bermuda will not work). Their response to me was then you have 3 weeks before you are in penalties to make a decision. Of course always in a very polite manner.

There's NOTHING we all can do until an annoucement is made. My airfare for Florida by then should be over $600 a person ( times 4).

I understand you have an email from the TA, that is not the same thing as getting it in writing from NCL.

Reading through the threads here, it sound like the 1st few sailings with shorter Roatan calls will get OBC, but later sailings are only offered the opportunity to cancel. Looks like folks who booked through NCL got an e-mail from NCL. Your agent should have something similar 4 you.

It sure looks like someone (either your agent or the person they spoke to) has lumped different responses to different Spirit cruises into a catch-all response that may or may not be valid.

Shortly after my original post, I received this e-mail from NCL via my travel agency. My agent didn't waste any time getting back witha an update.

"Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit’s 7-day Western Caribbean sailings departing from New Orleans, Louisiana from January 20, 2008 until March 23, 2008.

Because of a technical issue with one of her four engines, Norwegian Spirit will be traveling at a reduced speed for the above-mentioned sailings. Please be assured that the engine issue reducing our speed capabilities in no way impacts the safe operation of the vessel.

Based on this reduced speed, we will arrive in Roatán, Honduras two hours later than originally scheduled. We have made every attempt to maximize your time in Roatán. Unfortunately, because of our technical issue and the distance between New Orleans and Roatán we are unable to arrive earlier. Our revised itinerary will be:

Sun New Orleans, LA Depart 5:30pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Roatan, Honduras 3:00pm to 8:00pm

Wed Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala 8:00am to 6:00pm

Thu Belize City, Belize 8:00am to 6:00pm

Fri Cozumel, Mexico 8:00am to 5:00pm

Sat At Sea

Sun New Orleans, LA Arrive 8:00am

Guests choosing not to sail as a result of this itinerary change may cancel their cruise without cancellation fees and receive a full refund of the cruise fare paid. Please contact your travel representative as soon as possible should you decide to cancel your reservation, as cancellations must be made by Friday, January 18, 2008. Thank you for your understanding and continued support of Norwegian Cruise Line.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Revenue Management & Passenger Services

Norwegian Cruise Line"

The one thing that stood out in this is e-mail was that no mention was made of any shipboard credit.

We're going to have a good time regardless. Out of 14 previous cruises we have had itinerary changes and missed ports on at least 3 of them. I don't recall ever having gotten any credit, but they all worked out well for us and we got to see some things that we would have missed without the changes.

Hopefully they will get repairs made soon so that it won't impact other cruisers in the future.

Today I sent Colin Veitch, CEO of NCL, and email regarding the status of the 30 March cruise on the Spirit. lets see if he replys.

Big G:) reen

You will probably get what I got a very nice phone call, which they said there is nothing we can say until it is annouced. Why would they ever share any information until it is publicly announced. By the way my email was to Crane Gladding, who has always been helpful in the past.

Today I sent Colin Veitch, CEO of NCL, and email regarding the status of the 30 March cruise on the Spirit. lets see if he replys.

Big G:) reen

I've worked in a customer service center in the past. We always had folks writing or calling the president of the company. Those inquiries were typically handled by a glorified help desk that was located in the same building as regular customer service. Colin Veitch likely never reads these messages or takes these calls.

I sent an email once before -- his office called and i spoke with an executive VP who resolved the issue-- so far I have made 4 calls and got a no answer on the March 30 cruise-- so I will do what it takes to get some accurate info.

Thanks

Big Green

Truly folks I will be happy when we get a definitive answer, but I do agree that we will not know the truth until a formal announcement is made.

I do hope that if they cancel our cruise for March 30 that they are fair with compensation... meaning they do as others in the cruise industry have done when they have cancelled a cruise. Reward us for being loyal and not cancelling our cruise based on hearsay and scuttlebutt, and reward us for choosing to continue to cruise with NCL despite the inconvenience and cost associated with a cancelled cruise.

I will sit tight and wait, I don't want them to cancel our cruise, because it is very affordable and we avoided the surcharge by booking early, so if we are fortunate enough to find another cruise that suits or schedule, we will have topay for airfare changes booked on shorter notice will likely cost substantially more. We'll also incur the dreaded fuel surcharge. Plus the higher cost if we can't cruise until later in the season.

But I've gotten ahead of myself already, first things first. Perhaps we'll luck out and they won't even cancel it, and they find some other way to fix it and we get our cruise anyway... I just wish I knew. But I don't think we'll hear anything for another week and a half to a month from now.

Truly folks I will be happy when we get a definitive answer, but I do agree that we will not know the truth until a formal announcement is made.

I do hope that if they cancel our cruise for March 30 that they are fair with compensation... meaning they do as others in the cruise industry have done when they have cancelled a cruise. Reward us for being loyal and not cancelling our cruise based on hearsay and scuttlebutt, and reward us for choosing to continue to cruise with NCL despite the inconvenience and cost associated with a cancelled cruise.

I will sit tight and wait, I don't want them to cancel our cruise, because it is very affordable and we avoided the surcharge by booking early, so if we are fortunate enough to find another cruise that suits or schedule, we will have topay for airfare changes booked on shorter notice will likely cost substantially more. We'll also incur the dreaded fuel surcharge. Plus the higher cost if we can't cruise until later in the season.

But I've gotten ahead of myself already, first things first. Perhaps we'll luck out and they won't even cancel it, and they find some other way to fix it and we get our cruise anyway... I just wish I knew. But I don't think we'll hear anything for another week and a half to a month from now.

I do think that NCL will compensate. That is ONLY fair.

I do agree that if it does have to go to drydock it would be the repo if not the next 2 sailings after the repo ( all depending on where and when the drydock will be- Dawn was in Boston last year). I think since they have stated that the arrival time into Roatan will be delayed until March 23( this will not be fixed for 2 months), that does insinuate that what ever is not functioning will not be functioning until after that. So when will they fix it? It they can not get to Roatan in time, there is no way they can do the new itinerary.

I know it has all been said again and again. It is a waiting game. Unfortunately I have no patience. LOL

We are at least fortunate that we read these boards and it will not be a shock , if and when it happens. There are alot of passengers that are going to be blindsided by this.

familyof4cruising: "I know it has all been said again and again. It is a waiting game. Unfortunately I have no patience. LOL

We are at least fortunate that we read these boards and it will not be a shock , if and when it happens. There are alot of passengers that are going to be blindsided by this."

You have got that right. I am so thankful to get a heads up now so I can formulate a couple of backup/alternative plans in case I need them. I'm not mad, I'm not upset, I just want to know so I can resolve myself to going or making other plans.

It's a terrible, frustrating situation to be caught off guard by things like this, but I think that NCL can turn this into a positive situation if they handle it correctly. If it were me, I'd wait until final payment, then notify everyone who has a paid reservation of a cancellation. Refund their money, offer them a 100% cruise credit and be done with it. I don't have`a problem with them having technical difficulties, but as far as I am concerned this is part of their cost of doing business. while they don't know when these issues will arise, they know they will arise never the less.

While you can't give people's vacation time back to them, you can treat them well and induce them to desire to continue to business with you by taking care of them in situations like this.

Archived