Barbados Tour - What are pros/cons

63Corvette

I have booked excursions for all of our stops except Barbados. An acquantance that vacations in Barbados every year (for the past 12 years) sent me an e-mail with the following suggestions:

"Go to the taxi line at the pier and negotiate a rate with the driver for the following: Take tour around the ixland to see the east coast, Bathsheba, the windmill, Cherry Tree Drive, St. Nicholas Abby and the Flower Cave area. Then drive down the west coast with a stop at one of the beach bar/restaurants that also has swimming. There is one that is up close to Speighstown if it is open and there is another one that is in Holetown ....Kokomos. Tell the driver to skip the south coast, that you want to see the interior, east coast and the west coast."

I have no idea what to expect to pay for something like this. I searched the internet and found a site for taxi service in Barbados, and they offer a car/driver @ $40 per hour.

Any insight on how much time a tour like the one above would take? What are the cons with this plan? Are there other recommendations to be considered? etc....

I don't want to risk not making it back to the ship, so I would like to plan for something from 9 to 2 at the most.

(We are in port from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm)

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I believe what you are asking is if you can grab a cab and do all these things and what would you expect to pay for this trip....:confused:

My response to you would be to search some of the local tour operators and their websites and then form your decision based on that... The though of just grabbing the first cab that you come to and jumping in would not really appeal to me even though you have a wish list of things to see....

We used Glory Tours when we were in Barbados this past May and had a really good tour of the island seeing many of the things on your list. You can check out the website at glorytours.org or your can check with many of the other operators spoken of on this site.... At least they will be able to give you a quote on your wish list if you want a private tour or you may be able to join another small group and see many of the things that you mentioned in a van or small bus.... I would not worry too much about these operators delivering you late to the ship as this is how many make their living and any bad experience you have will reflect on their abilities to continue fill their tours...:)

Joey

Archived