Cafe Florian in Venice

Hi,

This was recommended as a place to eat in San Marco in Venice. I did some research, and it does seem very nice, and very nice to sit and have a cappachino and listen to the orchestra. They have a website, but no menu. Does anyone know what they serve besides drinks? I also read that it's quite expensive. Does anyone know how expenisve to have a light meal and cappachino?

Caffe Florian is a coffee bar with quiche, sandwiches, etc., and a cappucino is about $12. It's historic (since 1720) and quite a lovely experience, especially when the orchestra is playing. But it's not a restaurant, and it's not cheap.

What it makes appear expensive is the surcharge for the music. This is a once per customer fee of this year maybe € 5 independent of what or how much you consume.

If you drink only a coffee it becomes a very expensive one. If you have several drinks or a meal it is less so.

For lunch they offer (or at least offered) a quite inexpensive choice of small dishes including wine, valid only inside. Maybe € 15 or something a few years ago. I really enjoyed the architecture and design there.

Yet for listening to the music outside seating is better. If you stay overnight you might indulge in the atmosphere with a bottle of wine enjoying the music, the sights and the people.

There is a menu for the evenings, too, but unfortunately I do not remember the items.

We were a group of 6, sat up front next to the band, each of us had one cocktail, except for one person who had a desert instead. The bill came to $100 Euro after a small tip.

While it was relatively expensive, we were never disturbed by the waiter to order more, we sat there for 4 sets of music, and all the drinks were very well presented- I had a Campari and soda on the rocks and all three ingrediants were mixed right at the table. Some little mints and nuts served at the table as well.

It is one of those special places in the world that you want to say you have had a cocktail at. It is hard to beat lingering at the Florian. I have since seen it in about a half dozen movies. If you are rushed, I would then suggest skipping it. If you streach one round into a 90 minute sit down, you are paying for a wonderful atmosphere. ( Use the bathrooms as well)

Why would I use the bathroom there:confused: Just curious.

Cleo,

Standard operating procedure... Don't pass up bathroom opportubities in the nicer places you patronize. They are in short supply in Venice.

Ans since we are on the topic, just outside of St Marks on the Grand Canal side, the Denali ( I think) is a Grand Hotel (to use the public bathrooms in!)

Archived