Full suit or Shorty

BuzzF117

I was just wondering what type of exposure suit most people suggest I have a 5mm full I may bring but don't really want to take up extra space with it. I can get a 2mm shorty if the water temps are warm enough. I only prefer the full suit because of the exposure to sharp objects. I really tolerate cool water well better then most people.

I was just wondering what type of exposure suit most people suggest I have a 5mm full I may bring but don't really want to take up extra space with it. I can get a 2mm shorty if the water temps are warm enough. I only prefer the full suit because of the exposure to sharp objects. I really tolerate cool water well better then most people.

I just came back from the Caribbean. I used a 3mm full and it was good. Water temp was in the 80s. Other guys dove with just a bathing suit and it was fine for them. Based on what you are saying, you could probably get away with a 2mm shorty.

Take in consideration of the time you will be diving on your cruise it will most likely be the one day. stay with somthing lite like a 2mm shorty or skin. And on the way back to your ship consider weight, every thing is going to be wet do you really want to carry a 5mm full, wet back to the ship.

And as for sharp objects as divers were to remain neutal bouyant to say off the bottom as to not Damage coral and other life. Sorry comes with the territory of being a PADI MSDT Instructor.

Cruise ship diving puts you in close contact with many divers whose skills are usually a little rusty. It doesn't take much to much to get bumped into some fire coral. I, therefore always take a dive skin and a 1mil full suit along on any trips in the Caribbean.

I use a 3mm shorty in the Caribbean and it's great. I don't get into a 5mm full until the water is a little cooler, like Hawaii where it's about 74-75 degrees. My wife snorkels in a 1mm full to protect her from the sun, and rock., etc. on entry/exit. It also adds a little warmth for her.

Oh, I know people are going to make fun of me, but when I was in the Caribbean on my last cruise, I had 24 dives in 17 days. Now that's a lot of diving. I always take my 3/2 full wetsuit, AND I have a hood with a vest. I am never, ever, ever cold on my second dives (as are many others with their shorty suits). And, yes I get made fun of on the boats too when I pull on my hooded vest (in St. Vincent they dubbed me "The Ninja"), but when everyone else is shivering and I'm warm as toast....well!

Jane ;)

Oh, I know people are going to make fun of me, but when I was in the Caribbean on my last cruise, I had 24 dives in 17 days. Now that's a lot of diving. I always take my 3/2 full wetsuit, AND I have a hood with a vest. I am never, ever, ever cold on my second dives (as are many others with their shorty suits). And, yes I get made fun of on the boats too when I pull on my hooded vest (in St. Vincent they dubbed me "The Ninja"), but when everyone else is shivering and I'm warm as toast....well!

Jane ;)

Jane,

There were two camps of divers on my last trip. Those who didn't wear any wetsuits and those who wore full 3mm wetsuits. The no wetsuit guys were a little 'portly' if you know what I mean. ;)

Of the people who wore a wetsuit there were two who wore a hood as well. It was unusual but no one made any comment about them. The water was a toasty 85 most places.

Used a 3mm shorty this past December on the Exotic Caribbean cruise. Was perfect for me. I didn't use a wetsuit at all the time before but found I was a little "chilled" after a few days in a row of diving. The 3mm shorty dried out overnight in the tub in the room ... maiking it nice and easy to use the next day. :D

Hi,

I use a full 3mm. I have a Henderson Hyperflex, which is more "cloth-like" and folds down very small in my bag. Just as a hint, in coming back to the ship I bought some travel space bags. When I get done with my diving for the day I put my wet suit, gloves, towel and booties in it, roll up the bag letting out any air, and have a dry, non-sandy bag to put in my carry bag back to the ship (no more drip, drip, drip, down the back). :D

Randall

P.S. they also keep your towel dry on the beach or boat until you're done with your diving

Archived