Bikinis and the middle aged woman!

mindy1957

Lori AKA Wednomor, I love the gold dress and wondered where you got it. I love finding great looks for my wife and that would look super on her. She's almost 60 and still looks great in a 2 pc and fantastic in most gowns. And yes I am the fashion buyer in our house as my wife is way too busy being a nurse to go shopping and she knows I have a better eye for fashion. See pics. We don't get time for the gym anymore, but we eat proper and are so busy, that's a workout in itself. Phil

1646287311_Lavender_1(Small).jpg.50c32d275d323bd811a6a1ce906135fa.jpg

1739328236_Yellow1_1(Small).jpg.d0bb324542ddfc4d6234012eada37087.jpg

384216384_100_0080(Small).jpg.e15f56c967825918f50023f205281692.jpg

Cheers to you ladies and to Rod. I am in total agreement that alot of younger women do not work out these days but to be fair, they have little kids and their lives are busy. Still, they can keep active by playing with their kids. I kept in reasonable shape even when the kids were still at home by doing things with them...like dance lessons and skating. The other moms just sat there on the bench. They probably thought I was crazy but now they probably wish they would have done it too. When middle age hits, you gotta be fit and prepared to take it head on. The Menopause Monster is down for the count in my ring. Still, my DH says I am blessed to have a good metabolism which is true. Sure, I work out avg. of 5-6 days a week but I go on sweets binges at times between watching what I eat. Most women would get fat doing this but I am just lucky I guess. Hope it lasts. (fingers crossed)Fitness IS a committment though. I'm 47 and a grammie of 2 and I wear bikinis which my DH bought for me and I will DEFINITELY be bringing them on our cruise this Sunday. You're right. There is no place card pasted on our hinees with our ages on it but for me, the elbows and knees tell it all. (wink)

Hi all

Just thought that I would add my thoughts to this thread, what a woman looks like in HER bikini is no one elses business but hers, if someone spent there entire holiday watching me, I would think they are not having a good time, and that they have money to waste.

Im a few pounds more than I should be, but I will be wearing my bikini's on my cruise and If people don't like it tough!!.

Maybe being British I have a much relaxed view to bikini's and larger women, but if you don't like it don't LOOK.

Lori AKA Wednomor, I love the gold dress and wondered where you got it. I love finding great looks for my wife and that would look super on her. She's almost 60 and still looks great in a 2 pc and fantastic in most gowns. And yes I am the fashion buyer in our house as my wife is way too busy being a nurse to go shopping and she knows I have a better eye for fashion. See pics. We don't get time for the gym anymore, but we eat proper and are so busy, that's a workout in itself. Phil

You should shop for me too...! You have a keen eye for what will compliment your wife, she's looks magnificient in her pretty clothes!! The dress was purchased at Cache' it's a clothing store found in upscale shopping malls. I bought that in Las Vegas. You can shop online and order so many beautiful gowns and clothes with them - keep in mind to buy a size or two larger than she would wear. As you may already know when you pay alot for fine clothes they change the sizing... it makes all of the "foofies" think they are wearing a small size and they may buy more items...! LOL...! That gold dress is a 2... I usually wear a 4. Good-luck!!

Dist-Thdr,

I suspect you could have a whole career of dressing women.

Wait a minute, or...

You could e-mail my husband tips on romance! I adore my darling nerd, but he's not exactly romantic. Of course he does change diapers without a word. That's worth a lot of roses :)

Hi all

Just thought that I would add my thoughts to this thread, what a woman looks like in HER bikini is no one elses business but hers, if someone spent there entire holiday watching me, I would think they are not having a good time, and that they have money to waste.

Im a few pounds more than I should be, but I will be wearing my bikini's on my cruise and If people don't like it tough!!.

Maybe being British I have a much relaxed view to bikini's and larger women, but if you don't like it don't LOOK.

Bravo! Who gives a rat's arse who works out in the gym 7 days a week? While I keep myself in shape for health reasons, it would be ridiculous to me to spend every waking moment attempting to keep an aging body from its natural progression. I'm 50...not 20 and I don't want to try to look like I'm 20. I'm quite proud of who I am...flaws and all. The body is merely a vessel to house a much more important entity...the spirit. And that's the part of me that I nurture and care for most of all because, in the end, that's all we are left with...the body will ultimately fail us.

I agree that your roots probably have a lot to do with your views on women's bodies. I think that American women, in general, are really, really uptight about how they look. Our last cruise in the Med was made up of mostly European passengers and it was so refreshing to see women who were able to relax and enjoy themselves without the hangups of whether they had a couple of extra pounds to deal with (or not deal with)...and whether they were being judged by others (or judging others).

That's too funny. I just bought My wife a dress from Cache in Tampa 2 weeks ago when we were on holidays for a break from the cold and visiting with friends. I also bought her one from Cache in Buffalo a couple of years ago. I don't recall seeing that dress you have though, as I have a pretty good memory for fashion and what I've seen. There is another one in Buffalo that I do like (jungle print) that would be great to bring to our next trip but I think she has more then enough for this trip. 20 dresses. I don't have a pic of the new one yet but here's a pic of the other Cache dress. Phil

P.S. She also takes a size 2 from Cache and normally she's a 4 as well.

1678999643_P1000237_1(Medium).jpg.6a6f643bf0b38bcedb67a9e85b24f0a7.jpg

You have seriously misunderstood my opinion... I clearly state that I am all for it...! You got hung up on the "gym thing". I didn't say those are the only women that should wear them...

I am ALL FOR women of ANY AGE wearing bikinis and miniskirts...! I simply told the truth about my physical fitness routine to fend off any of those who dared to tell me that I have not earned such a wardrobe or worse yet have lost the RIGHT to it due to my age!!! Women don't have to go to the gym to wear what they want... and they DON'T have to be a certain AGE... most importantly they never have to listen to those who are so judgemental of others that they make themselves sound rediculous.

If I had my druthers... women would have to burn their "follow the leader" fashion clothes and let me see their own individual personalities shine thru...! Furthermore, I believe that ballgowns and tuxedos should not just be for cruises but once a month dating with your significant lover.

Just one more here with an "If it looks good, wear it!" posture. As far as age goes, to me it has no relevancy. I have yet to see a woman in a bikini with a birth date placard attached to her suit. If she's gorgeous, she's gorgeous - regardless of what age she is.

A previous reply said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. True dat!! There will be the 5'7", 80lb anorexics and the 5' 300 lb BBWs putting it out there for all to see but I think most women, that would even opt for a bikini, would fall well into what is generally considered attractive.

I'm 36; my wife will be 40 this year. As long as she has the body for a bikini, and as long as she is confortable doing so, I should hope she would want to strut her stuff. Going a step further, I was in sports in high school and did a 6 year stint in the military and have a better body now than I've ever had. I wear a Speedo! Some may have a problem with that. But the long and the short of it is, as long as I have the physique to wear minimal fashions on the beach, I'm gonna' keep on keepin' on. And you ladies should do the same.

This is just one more "in your face" way for us old folks to say age aint nuthin' but a number!:p

Repsol

Well said Repsol! We're off to Negril Jamaica on Saturday and you can bet my 46 year old wife will be wearing her bikini...Or less. ;)

To those of you who were so quick to hit the instant flame button,you might exercise reading, thinking then posting. I'm not slamming those who wish to wear a bikini or nothing at all. I was simply pointing out that gravity hits each and everyone. Sorry folks its science .Gym work and plastics can only do so much. Saggy skin, lines bumps and bulges has nothing to do with inner beauty. I was not referring to that.

I also might like to add, good taste always applies. And you can have a bathing suit that oozes good taste and still be drop dead gorgeous.

PS Posting pics of yourself in exposed positions is not in good taste IMHO, nor is it safe.

Well I guess it's time to get my two cents in...I had the good taste and respect for my appearance to recognize when it was time to bronze the itsy bitsy and invest in more coverage and better support in my beachwear.Oh I'm not saying that I'm not still proud of my beautiful body I am but girls there is a time for all seasons and skin turgor eventually fails That's life kids!!

I wish other sun worshippers, men included had the same decorum. Some say they love the "freedom" of the "large " european women in their string creations I say it's a monstrous lack of pride....But I respect all the rights of God's children and I will turn my head and pull down my hat!

Best word to me in choosing any article of body cover is the word Mom tried to impart on us .. modesty ..and for those who have forgotten webster defines it as:1.the quality of being modest; freedom from vanity, boastfulness, etc. 2.regard for decency of behavior, speech, dress, etc. 3.simplicity; moderation:cool:

This is an interesting thread with lots of differing opinions, and in my opinion, not much real flaming going on.

I still maintain that at 56, as long as I'm at a "healthy weight" - I'm comfortable in my "modest" 2-piece suit that's not "itsty-bitsy" at all - I've ALWAYS been too "modest" for one of those! :eek: Anything that is sagging or wrinkled is going to show just as much in a one-piece as my modest 2-piece.

Hopefully I won't gross anyone out. :rolleyes:

You know what? I agree with that. I don't think I would have such a problem if it was a modest 2 piece, but these pics are not that. But of course if we have a differing opinion, we are just overweight and jealous LOL.

I cant honestly say i'm not jealous of anyone on here =)

You know what? I agree with that. I don't think I would have such a problem if it was a modest 2 piece, but these pics are not that. But of course if we have a differing opinion, we are just overweight and jealous LOL.

I cant honestly say i'm not jealous of anyone on here =)

Dear heart you are neither overweight nor jealous the only thing you could be accused of having is a sense of dignity and good taste!!:o

If you have to pick up your breasts to put on your bikini top, it might just be time to hang it up.

:eek: Surely you're joking, right? Some of us had to pick up our boobs to put them in our bikini tops when we were pretty young...and it wasn't because we were overweight.

Before I had my breast reduction, I purchased my bikinis at this really great little shop in Hermosa Beach where I could buy bottoms and tops separately and they had a plethora of really great tops that fit my DD boobs perfectly...with ample support...and underwires...and adjustable straps...fabulous!

I am 46 and every year for the last ten I have told my husband it is the last year I will wear a bikini. Well, I am still wearing them. My husband has promised he will tell me when it is time to give it up, but I know I will figure it out on my own.

Although I am still thin, I am not as fit as I once was. I won't exactly scare anyone to death wearing one but I know there are many others who look much better.

My only question this year is should I wear lime green or purple. :D

I am 46 and every year for the last ten I have told my husband it is the last year I will wear a bikini. Well, I am still wearing them. My husband has promised he will tell me when it is time to give it up, but I know I will figure it out on my own.

Although I am still thin, I am not as fit as I once was. I won't exactly scare anyone to death wearing one but I know there are many others who look much better.

Well darling I think that would be a very brave man indeed who would tell you bikini days are over!! I think he would be walking on very thin ice ...That's like asking him do I look fat in these pants??:eek:

What about the middle aged woman and older who has had a ton of plastic surgery just so she can wear the bikini...and it's obvious she is an older woman trying to look young..where does that weigh in? Is that denial that she's old?

I have seen a couple of plastic surgeried tummies in bikinis recently, one belonging to Jocelyn Wildenstein (google her if you want to see the incarnation of WAY too much plastic surgery). Folks, this reconstructed tummy is not a good bikini look!

I myself am a fit, slim 47 year old who despite three kids still looks pretty good in a bikini (but the skin is not what it once was, of course). I run 35 miles a week and do yoga 3-4 times a week but more than that I am lucky in the genetics dept. However, I judge the occasion -- if I am on a beach with BF to sun and have fun I'll wear a bikini. If I am with other families, or in a social situation with mixed ages or a mixed social-work situation, I will always err on the side of tastefullness and an attractive one piece. My rule of thumb -- if I put something on and think "Is this too young for me?" it probably is!

I have seen a couple of plastic surgeried tummies in bikinis recently, one belonging to Jocelyn Wildenstein (google her if you want to see the incarnation of WAY too much plastic surgery). Folks, this reconstructed tummy is not a good bikini look!

I myself am a fit, slim 47 year old who despite three kids still looks pretty good in a bikini (but the skin is not what it once was, of course). I run 35 miles a week and do yoga 3-4 times a week but more than that I am lucky in the genetics dept. However, I judge the occasion -- if I am on a beach with BF to sun and have fun I'll wear a bikini. If I am with other families, or in a social situation with mixed ages or a mixed social-work situation, I will always err on the side of tastefullness and an attractive one piece. My rule of thumb -- if I put something on and think "Is this too young for me?" it probably is!

I don't think any one indicated that they were surgically reshaping their body for a bikini. Obviously there are always going to be sad examples of people that chase the unreachable.

As far as bikinis on the beach, girl, I'd decline any sort of work-related event that takes place in bathing suits. Once you see your boss in a swimsuit...things are never quite the same. :D :D

Archived