Anyone Use Orville Taylor Lately?

DARSGANG

Hi,

We have booked him for this March. We have heard great things so we are looking forward to a great day with him.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

we have booked him for March 5, 2008, family of 4, when are you booked with him?

Hi - I think I recognize your name from our 'meet and mingle'. I have booked Orville Taylor for the Mar 2nd Freedom cruise for our group. I booked it a few months ago. I am curious to hear if you booked him also (does he have more than 1 van?) or if he will add your group to ours.

I was just wondering today if I would hear from him again closer to the cruise.

Anyway - 47 days and counting!

Lisa

Hi,

We have him booked for March 11th for 44 people. He has a bus that holds 33 people and if you go over that he has 8 seater vans he uses.

What are you doing with him with your time? We are basically doing Dunn's River Falls, stop in downtown and then to the beach.

We are all starting to get excited.

Take care.

Vanessa

Ontario, Canada

I hadn't really decided what to do yet. We are a group of 7 which include 3 teenagers, my husband, myself and my parents in their 60's.

Personally - I am happy to shop and tour the island. But I am guessing that the teens will want to do the Falls. And I am not sure about my parents - we are pretty open... I figured I would do a little research as we get closer to come up with a game plan.

Lisa

I hadn't really decided what to do yet. We are a group of 7 which include 3 teenagers, my husband, myself and my parents in their 60's.

Personally - I am happy to shop and tour the island. But I am guessing that the teens will want to do the Falls. And I am not sure about my parents - we are pretty open... I figured I would do a little research as we get closer to come up with a game plan.

Lisa

HI bnjrsmom;

we've booked him march 5 2008, he is taking us to do white river tubing, scenic drive through fern gully, to a school to drop off some school supplies and to the waasis pottery factory. We may have time to go to the coyoba gardens. I just e-mailed him yesterday about our tour and he said he would see us on the 5th. I do not know if he has more than one van. I too booked him a few months ago.We are a group of 4, my husband, myself, a 19 & 15yr old girls.

Darlene

Lisa

Hi Lisa;

My girls were wondering what age your 3 teenagers are? We've been to ocho rios before on a cruise and have done the falls, so that's why we are trying the river tubing.I am sure we will meet up somewhere along our journey.

Darlene

Hi,

We have him booked for March 11th for 44 people. He has a bus that holds 33 people and if you go over that he has 8 seater vans he uses.

What are you doing with him with your time? We are basically doing Dunn's River Falls, stop in downtown and then to the beach.

We are all starting to get excited.

Take care.

Vanessa

Ontario, Canada

Hi Vanessa,

We have him booked for march 5, there are 4 of us, we are going river tubing , drive through fern gully, to a school to drop off some school supplies and to the waasis pottery factory.I guess he also has another group of 7 booked with him also the same day.I guess we will begetting off the ship as you get on , hope you have a great time!

Darlene

Heads up. . .

We just returned from a tour that included the waterfall trip, it is fantastic! A few hints:

1)Be sure and pack water shoes, tennis shoes and sandals will get tiny (and not so tiny) pebbles in them. You will appreciate the tight fitting water shoes. If you buy them at teh waterfalls, it will cost you $15 (or you can rent them for $5, yeck)

2)Take a water camera ($10 at Walmart). Your guides will be happy to take pics of your group

3)Remember to bring tip money with you. Don't leave it in the van, you will need to tip your guides as soon as you finish the falls. There will be 2 to 3 guys, and they will work hard getting you up the falls safely. Tip them well. It is their livelyhood.

4)There will be a guy taking video of your group that he will offer to sell you a CD for $40 ... if you want this, be sure and have the money with you. You pay at the end of the falls climb.

Have fun, remember, "No wet, no fun!"

***There will be guides at the tubing too, they will be expecting tips, also there is a moment where you can purchase pictures that are snapped of you along the way. usually $5 each, no more than $10 each.

Hi Lisa;

My girls were wondering what age your 3 teenagers are? We've been to ocho rios before on a cruise and have done the falls, so that's why we are trying the river tubing.I am sure we will meet up somewhere along our journey.

Darlene

Darlene:

I have a 16 year old daughter, 15 year old son and my 14 year old niece will be with us.

Curious - did he tell you to meet down on the pier 30 min after the ship docks? And what is he charging your group? He is charging us $20 a person (7 people) - higher than his website but I wrote that off to the fact that we aren't going on one of his pre-set tours.

Anyway - I had heard great things about him on this board - that is why I chose him so I am not worried.

Right now I am trying to figure out what we want to do. I looked up Wassi Pottery - that sounds interesting.

We have cruised twice before and my son loves the teen club and always meets lots of friends. My daughter always stayed close to me - on of the reasons we invited my niece this time.

Lisa

Darlene:

I have a 16 year old daughter, 15 year old son and my 14 year old niece will be with us.

Curious - did he tell you to meet down on the pier 30 min after the ship docks? And what is he charging your group? He is charging us $20 a person (7 people) - higher than his website but I wrote that off to the fact that we aren't going on one of his pre-set tours.

Anyway - I had heard great things about him on this board - that is why I chose him so I am not worried.

Right now I am trying to figure out what we want to do. I looked up Wassi Pottery - that sounds interesting.

We have cruised twice before and my son loves the teen club and always meets lots of friends. My daughter always stayed close to me - on of the reasons we invited my niece this time.

Lisa

Hi Lisa;

He is also charging us $20 each( 4 of us) and to meet him on the pier 30 mins after ship docks. The river tubing looks fun and that costs $15 each ( that's extra) ,we'll probably meet you on the dock if not before.This will be our 5th cruise, I also only heard great things about him on the boards.

Darlene

Hi Lisa;

He is also charging us $20 each( 4 of us) and to meet him on the pier 30 mins after ship docks. The river tubing looks fun and that costs $15 each ( that's extra) ,we'll probably meet you on the dock if not before.This will be our 5th cruise, I also only heard great things about him on the boards.

Darlene

Hi Lisa;

The price of the river tubing is $20 each , not 15. I got mixed up.

Darlene

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This is a review on Orville Taylor Tours in Jamaica. I have to say that it was the highlight of our cruise. The reason being is because of our private tour guide, Orville Taylor. We had a large group of 10, so it was only $15 per person for the day(Wow...you can't beat that..I think regularly $20 for smaller groups). Orville Taylor offered a day full of fun...Dunn's falls, river tubing, beach, and shopping. He is a very flexible tour guide and will do it in any order, add or subtract things from the itinerary...he says "no worries, my tour is flexible, mon." This is why I booked with Orville. He met us at cruise ship dock with a clean air conditioned new van. It seemed like all the other buses and vans were run down and on their last leg...but not Orville's. Our first stop was Dunns Falls (When we got there and he had another tour guide take us through the falls). If you have water shoes bring them...you will be required to wear them! If not Orville takes you to this shop outside of the falls (Where it is cheaper) to rent or buy your own. You Really climb up the falls as water is rushing at your legs, linked arms about 1/2 mile up. It wasn't as hard as it looked, so dont be intimidated. The falls were beautiful and a must see. Next we went to the river tubing....which was very peaceful and relaxing. About an hour long ride, they take pictures of you while you are tubing, let you jump off rocks into the river, etc. It was a blast.

After that we jumped back in the van to a local beach...not many tourist...it was gorgeous! He also set us up with the best waiter on the beach to hook us up with some lunch and of course beverages. At the beach you could rent snorkle gear, parasail, and do just about any watersports (they will rip you off, beware!!). I just relaxed on the beach with great conch fritters, a pina colada and a refreshing water. It was so relaxing and they make sure you are happy. Jamacian ladies were dancing on the beach, they had shops, I also saw a sign for massages on the beach! We left there around 2:30 to do some shopping before they brought you back to the ship. It was a packed day...but we sure did squeeze a lot in for less then $60 including tip! You can't beat that! Orville was so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. At the end of the tour we all took pictures together and said goodbye. We told Orville we will be giving him a call the next time we are in Jamaica! We most certainly will.

Have fun and enjoy Jamaica! If you would like to get in touch with Orville you can reach him at orvilletay@yahoo.com .

Thanks for all this great information. I am booked with Orville Easter week. I was a little worried about be in an old car that could break down when were trying to get back on the ship.

How much per person for the tubing and the falls. I had read on the boards that the tubing had been shut down due to a lack of rain ...I guess there now open.

Did you notice if Orville had a cell phone just in case something does happen miles inland?

• 3 weeks later...

We've used Orville in twice, in 2005 and again in 2006. The last time it was a monsoon BUT Orville came & picked us up anyway and gave us a private tour whereever we wanted to go. We had lunch at Evia's up on the hill and we highly recommend that. A beautiful view and exquisite food.

Orville is highly recommended by us!

Orville Mr & Mrs Bragg wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! :D

This is a review on Orville Taylor Tours in Jamaica. I have to say that it was the highlight of our cruise. The reason being is because of our private tour guide, Orville Taylor. We had a large group of 10, so it was only $15 per person for the day(Wow...you can't beat that..I think regularly $20 for smaller groups). Orville Taylor offered a day full of fun...Dunn's falls, river tubing, beach, and shopping. He is a very flexible tour guide and will do it in any order, add or subtract things from the itinerary...he says "no worries, my tour is flexible, mon." This is why I booked with Orville. He met us at cruise ship dock with a clean air conditioned new van. It seemed like all the other buses and vans were run down and on their last leg...but not Orville's. Our first stop was Dunns Falls (When we got there and he had another tour guide take us through the falls). If you have water shoes bring them...you will be required to wear them! If not Orville takes you to this shop outside of the falls (Where it is cheaper) to rent or buy your own. You Really climb up the falls as water is rushing at your legs, linked arms about 1/2 mile up. It wasn't as hard as it looked, so dont be intimidated. The falls were beautiful and a must see. Next we went to the river tubing....which was very peaceful and relaxing. About an hour long ride, they take pictures of you while you are tubing, let you jump off rocks into the river, etc. It was a blast.

After that we jumped back in the van to a local beach...not many tourist...it was gorgeous! He also set us up with the best waiter on the beach to hook us up with some lunch and of course beverages. At the beach you could rent snorkle gear, parasail, and do just about any watersports (they will rip you off, beware!!). I just relaxed on the beach with great conch fritters, a pina colada and a refreshing water. It was so relaxing and they make sure you are happy. Jamacian ladies were dancing on the beach, they had shops, I also saw a sign for massages on the beach! We left there around 2:30 to do some shopping before they brought you back to the ship. It was a packed day...but we sure did squeeze a lot in for less then $60 including tip! You can't beat that! Orville was so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. At the end of the tour we all took pictures together and said goodbye. We told Orville we will be giving him a call the next time we are in Jamaica! We most certainly will.

Have fun and enjoy Jamaica! If you would like to get in touch with Orville you can reach him at orvilletay@yahoo.com .

sounds great does he have a web site...I am going in oct and there will be 7 of us...do you think it will be ok for a 6 yr old to do the tubing: I don't think we will climb the falls but would like to view them and then tubing and see the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This will be my first cruise. I am so excited. If we do the tour do they pick you up at the ship and bring you back.What other excursions do you suggest. We are going to Cozymel and Grand Cayman.

Thanks,Summer

We are planning to visit the Dunn's Falls without a planned excursion. Has any one have a word of advise? Where do you leave your personal items while climbing the Falls? Or is it better to be part of a group?

Hi,

This will be my first cruise. I am so excited. If we do the tour do they pick you up at the ship and bring you back.What other excursions do you suggest. We are going to Cozymel and Grand Cayman.

Thanks,Summer

We are planning to visit the Dunn's Falls without a planned excursion. Has any one have a word of advise? Where do you leave your personal items while climbing the Falls? Or is it better to be part of a group?

If you use Orville Taylor (or Alton) they wait for you with their vehicle and so you can store your belongings in their vehicle. That's perfectly safe and you won't have to worry.

The same could be true for other tour guides, I don't know.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My cruise review

The 17th-century structure has recently been renovated and contains two original cannons. One of the most popular attractions in Jamaica is Dunn’s River Falls, a 15-minute drive west of Ocho Rios. You can climb the natural steps to the top of the 600-ft/180-m tiered waterfall or just gaze at the falls from a viewing platform.

Archived