Day trip - Capri or Sorrento/Pompeii

We have 5 pre-cruise days in Rome in July. Although Naples is a stop (for 11 hours) on our cruise we know we do not have enough time to do justice to Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii in that time period.

Our thoughts are to visit either Capri or Sorrento/Pompeii as a day trip from Rome and then do the other option off the ship. We realize it will be a long day. We are travelling with a 14 year old. In both cases, we will travel on our own using public transportation.

Is one option much better then the other?

We had some new friends (we met on our roll call thread) who did this last year. They used the high speed train from Rome to Naples that took approx 2 hours each way.

I'm guessing that you won't have any issues finding someone to share a van with you to go to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast during your port stop. If you check on your roll call thread or offer to organize a tour, you can form a group. And by the way, some of the best scenery on the Amalfi Cost is from Sorrento to Positano then on to Amalfi and Ravello. We stayed in Sorrento for three days last May, and I love it, but I would suggest that you travel on down the coast to see more of the spectacular scenery if you only have a day.

So I would go to Capri during your precruise stay. This will be really easy for you. You should be able to find the train station on a map of Naples, and you walk from there to the waterfront. The schedule for hydrofoils from Naples to Capri is here: http://www.capri.com/en/orari-traghetti. Make sure to recheck the schedule shortly before you travel. There are many threads on seeing Capri on these boards. The highlight of the day for us was the chairlift from Anicapri up to Mount Soller.

If you are prone to seasickness and can see that the weather is not bad, you can alter your plans to take the Circumvesiana local train from the Naples station to Sorrento to take a local bus along the Amalfi Coast, but I think it would be too much to try to take a train from Rome and then go to Pompeii and on to the Amalfi Coast by local transportation in the same day. So I hope Capri will work out for your precruise stay.

Have a great trip,

Donna

If you are prone to seasickness and can see that the weather is not bad, you can alter your plans . . . .
Whoops--I'm correctly my typo. If you are prone to seasickness and can see that the weather is not good, the seas may be choppy on the hydrofoil. It wasn't an issue for us on a beautiful day, but I have read reports from others who didn't have a good time on Capri due to these issues. Also, if the seas are choppy, the Blue Grotto will be dangerous so not an option.

Donna

We have 5 pre-cruise days in Rome in July. Although Naples is a stop (for 11 hours) on our cruise we know we do not have enough time to do justice to Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii in that time period.

Our thoughts are to visit either Capri or Sorrento/Pompeii as a day trip from Rome and then do the other option off the ship. We realize it will be a long day. We are travelling with a 14 year old. In both cases, we will travel on our own using public transportation.

Is one option much better then the other?

My DW and I are 5 days pre-cruise in Rome from July 5th to the 9th and we were also considering a day trip to Capri. We are on RCCL and sail the 10th. We are doing Almafi coast during the port stop with a private tour guide. I would be interested if you come across any must-sees or more information on the train from Rome to Naples.

Thanks

Vinal & Louanne

vdoody@bnncpa.com

Archived