lack of attention to details

HighSeaslover

Boy do I feel stupid. I beleive the excitment took over. When I was booking our airfare for our up comming cruise, we decided to do three days in South Beach prior to the cruise. Well I booked our airline for Wednesday, the 22nd. I though I booked the early flight, leaving our airport at 6:20am and arriving in Miami at 11:40am. I planned our hotel, and lunch for that afternoon. WELL>>>>>> I just was looking at our documents, and our e-mailed confirmation from the airline shows us leaving at 6:20pm and arriving in Miami at 11:40pm... therefore we have already lost one whole day or your vacation.

Does anyone know if the airline with change our flight to be one earlier in the day???? (of course, I would want that at no extra charge HA!) I am really disappointed..

Should I call the airline (Delta) prior to the date of departure? I really don't care if we can't fly out at 6.20am, but I would like to be in Miami before 6pm, so we could enjoy a nice dinner and drinks on the beach. Another problem is their are three of us.... Wonder if that will make it difficult.

If you want to change flight times for 3 people I would suggest you call the airline now instead of waiting until the last minute. Airlines are charging beween $25 and $100 to make fight changes. Rarely do they do it for free anymore unless it's their idea and not yours or if you want to fly stand-by. Stand-by is not something I would do when flying in for a cruise even if it is the day before.

The earliest flights of the day (before 7am) are often not as full as later flights, so you might have a shot at it. You can check availability online and if it looks good call Delta and ask about it. Sometimes they will charge you a $25 per person fee to guarantee the seat, but that's not too bad.

Terri

Absolutely call the airline. Tell them that you messed up, and ask for help. The rep might be willing to change the flights at no charge under the circumstances. I remember that someone in our group booked the wrong flights (wrong dates!) a couple of months ago, and the airline had pity on them. It's worth a shot.

The last time I bumped up on a flight (about 2 months ago) on Delta they told me it would only be a $25 fee if I wanted a guaranteed seat on the earlier flight. If I wanted to go strictly stand by there was no fee. This could have been due to my medallion club status though, I didn't ask. I was happy to pay the fee for the earlier flight!

Terri

Don't forget, in addition to the $25-$100 change fee, you will have to pay the difference in airfare too!:(

That's very true, but if they are taking the early morning flight it might actually be cheaper, could go either way.

Terri

I have gotten to the airports after conferences and been able to switch to earlier flights at no cost on AA and NWA, but of course, I wasn't trying to fly 12 hours earlier than scheduled either.

Never hurts to try.

A month ago I booked a Mediterrean cruise. I booked with Northwest for the airfare. They have a special sale to Europe, using miles and cash, so I used that option. I wanted to spend two extra days in Rome so I booked what I thought was two days after the cruise end.

However, when I got my docs. I found out I made a mistake, my flight left one day after the end of the cruise. Since I wanted to spend two days in Rome, I contacted Northwest, knowing that according to their website, there will be a $50. per person charge. Lo and behold, since it was a fare using miles and cash, the change fee was $250.

I thought maybe the agent made a mistake, I contacted the frequent flyer rep and they said the charge to change was $250. per person. Now the next step will be to call their obsbudman, maybe they will be of help.

I am a frequent flyer, travelling over 350,000 miles with Northwest, they should be more friendly.

stan

Sometimes they can be a little ridiculous. Last April for our cruise I noticed that North West had me listed twice and left my sons name off. I called them in Sept. Seven month before the flight to let them know they had made a mistake. The lady I talked to said it would cost me $50 to correct it. I told her it was their mistake she said I should have called back when I received the conformation (August). I said just leave it, he's a minor and doesn't have to have picture ID. I guess next time I should look this stuff over better instead of just filing it away.

If you are flying Delta, I would expect to pay a $100 charge per ticket changed even if it is the same day. I purchased airfare through them for my upcoming cruise, then 3 weeks later found that they were now offering a MUCH lower price on some better flight times.

Long story short, even though the flight difference was only an hour for both days, I still had to pay the charge to change. The $200 in fees cancelled out the $200 lower fare.

Stan-I feel for you. We live in a "Northwest Hub"-which in NW language means lets see how much more we can get out of the people that live in Memphis. Last spring we were taking a trip to Disneyworld with our kids/grandkids that live in Alabama. We could have driven to Huntsville-flew to to Memphis and then onto Orlando for less than we could have flown from Memphis to Orlando and on the same flight.

I will no longer fly Northwest-I will pay more to fly another airline before I ever fly Northwest. Northwest has a huge stronghold in Memphis and hopefully if I choose not to give my money to them the Airport Authority in Memphis will get a clue and start letting some of the other smaller (Southwest, Jet Bllue) into the Memphis Market. I know it won't happen with just me but if more people got fed up with NW and did the same maybe things could be changed.

Since you are not sure of your ariival time (in case of a change) be sure that your hotel is aware that you want the room no matter what time you arrive. Some hotels will cancel your reservation by a certain time if you don't reserve it with a credit card. If you reserve with a CC they will charge whether you show up or not by the required time. Best to be sure you have a room - especially if you get in at 11:40pm.

Thank you for the "good luck" It only bothers me so much, cause waiting isn't something I do well. My husband doesn't want to pay ANY MORE for an earlier flight. I can't say I blame him, but I am SO EXCITED, that the though of waiting all day on the 22nd seems unbearable. Oh well, guess GOD is teaching me something...... :)

Archived