Cruising on May25th on the Spirit-concerns

Angelbysea

Hello everyone,

My husband an I will be cruising on the Spirit on the 25th, Im concerned about reading about the 1 engine failure, the itinerary changes and most recently the "bed bugs" YIKES!! this was also the ship hit by the 40ft wave a few years ago, freak thing I know but is it me or does it seem like the Spirit is taking some bad hits? I have also read alot of wonderful reviews about this ship and thats what Im trying to keep in mind, but Im really freaked about the bedbugs, I've read that claim from more than just a few passengers, I believe it to be a real concern. Our cabin is on the 11th floor, the price for this cruise was extremely reasonable and thats one of the reasons I picked it, but Im beginning to wonder if you get what you pay for.

Well we were on the Spirit the week or two following when it was hit by the giant wave knocking out a cabin window causing some flooding, It was right by our room and we got to see them repairing the damage. But I can say with relative certainty, it was no ones fault the ship was hit by a rogue wave.

I have never seen bedbugs on any ship, but I am sure that if I cruise enough and stay in enough hotels, the chances of that happening will increase dramtically. Not much I can do about that, aside from inspect my bedding before I unpack.

With regard to the engine/whatever top secret malfunction is going on with the Spirit right now... another thing I can't control, but I am sailing the Spirit on March 30th, and the consensus is that if they are going to cancel any of the upcoming cruises to put it into drydock, my cruise will likely be the one on the chopping block.

So it will be an adventure! We really liked the Spirit, it is an interesting and unique ship.

We had a group of 13 with 4 cabins all on deck 11 over the New Year . No bed bugs from us and didn't hear of any from anyone else. We had a great time in spite of a few rough nights (20 plus waves Wed nt). I heard the plan to fix the fourth engine will come with the next dry dock as it is a big undertaking. Food was better than expected (ate in the free resturants w/13 and able to get tables for all same day. Entertainment laughable except 2nd city. We've been on over 15 cruises on all lines and never had bed bugs. There is always something to worry about .

Bedbugs are coming back, invading every bed in the hospitality industry, not just any ship. Inspect your beds everywhere. If the signs are showing, have the bed sprayed before sleeping in them. Since they spread via luggage, its gonna be a long war against them.

While some of us are allergic to them, most of us will only be annoyed much like having chiggers or fire ants biting you. Will all of us surrender to them, or are we going to fight them?

Fire ants, chiggers, sand fleas, and bed bugs are going to take over the world......

We had a group of 13 with 4 cabins all on deck 11 over the New Year . No bed bugs from us and didn't hear of any from anyone else. We had a great time in spite of a few rough nights (20 plus waves Wed nt). I heard the plan to fix the fourth engine will come with the next dry dock as it is a big undertaking. Food was better than expected (ate in the free resturants w/13 and able to get tables for all same day. Entertainment laughable except 2nd city. We've been on over 15 cruises on all lines and never had bed bugs. There is always something to worry about .

Did they happen to say WHEN the next drydock will be???

Thanks everyone, I am not going to stress over the bedbug situation, while I do know bedbugs can be in all hotels I wouldn't intentially book a room there knowing that might be the case, thats the only reason I had some concerns, but I don't want to cancel this cruise and Im sooooo looking forward to it, this is our 2nd cruise and I wanted to try a different ship. We had an amazing experience on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, this time we want to try a different cruise line and a different destination so I chose the Spirit, and Im just going to stay positive that all will be great and I'll have a wonderful review to give. Thanks for all the input.

Thanks everyone, I am not going to stress over the bedbug situation, while I do know bedbugs can be in all hotels I wouldn't intentially book a room there knowing that might be the case, thats the only reason I had some concerns, but I don't want to cancel this cruise and Im sooooo looking forward to it, this is our 2nd cruise and I wanted to try a different ship. We had an amazing experience on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, this time we want to try a different cruise line and a different destination so I chose the Spirit, and Im just going to stay positive that all will be great and I'll have a wonderful review to give. Thanks for all the input.

Archived