Zapped again_extra charge

summerwind2

Anyone else with this situation? We live in Florida and elected to take Bus provided by Celebrity to Fort Lauderdale. Fee was paid with final payment Dec. 31st. Now we "owe" ten more dollars because they changed that fee. I know they can do it, but they already have the surcharge and this is even more..!

Great start for Celebrity and this first time cruiser. Great way to make friends, build customer base and encourage us to come back.

And so kind of them to inform me that this fee changed. Nobody at customer service can figure it out, so they transfered me to the "resolution office" when I waited 42 minutes on hold before I hung up.

Cheers for Celebrity. (I am a cynic at heart)

Anyone else with this situation? We live in Florida and elected to take Bus provided by Celebrity to Fort Lauderdale. Fee was paid with final payment Dec. 31st. Now we "owe" ten more dollars because they changed that fee. I know they can do it, but they already have the surcharge and this is even more..!

Great start for Celebrity and this first time cruiser. Great way to make friends, build customer base and encourage us to come back.

And so kind of them to inform me that this fee changed. Nobody at customer service can figure it out, so they transfered me to the "resolution office" when I waited 42 minutes on hold before I hung up.

Cheers for Celebrity. (I am a cynic at heart)

So no one could tell you what the increase was for ??? I am assuming that the cruise commences after Feb. 1, so it sounds like another fuel supplement fee charged by the vendor supplying the bus service...... need more info regarding what you originally paid, did you book thru a TA ( again I am assuming you did not).

How and when did you find out of the additional balance due of $10.00 if you paid off your final payment Dec. 31st as your post is again very vauge.

It sounds to me like you were given an incorrect balance due for Dec. payment made and now have to pay the difference more so than an additional charge.

This first zap would be the fuel surcharge. I think the assessment of this fee was poorly planned. Seems to me that they could start to assess it for any cruise during or after the ship repositioning for Alaska or Europe. Everything booked up to that point would be exempt. So I felt that the February first date was arbitrary. The other option would be to assess the fee on any booking taking place after a specific date i.e. November 16. Those already booked would be exempt. (it just seems logical).

The zapped again refers to the extra charge for the bus transportation. It was already paid in full, for our cruse that leaves March 10.

I was able to identify it by carefully comparing the receipt which said zero balance, with the new charge total available on-line.

The fact that this information should also be available to customer service. A basic review of the charges made it evident to me. The customer service office could look at it is well, and come up with the "problem"

The previous charge for the bus was $120.00, now it is 130.00. There was no indication that it was a surcharge, the cost just changed on the bill.

The statement on-line clearly delineates the cruise surcharge for fuel as a line item exprense. But in the case of the bus, the charge just changed.

This information was available on line at the "my celebrity" site. I check it every now and then, hoping, I guess, that the powers that be will recognize that the surcharge may have been applied abitrarly.

I know that Celebrity can assign extra fees on excursions when the prices change, but what does a Zero dollar balance mean?

We booked directly with Celebrity via phone, since we are traveling with another couple.

Thanks for the replies, and sorry about the confusion. When I originally posted I was still steamed, and waiting 42 minutes with the resolution office, which still hasn't called back, was highly annoying.

Finally, I think, what added to my annoyance was that nobody notified us. We simply discover it by looking at the reservation site. No e-mail, no announcement, no phone call, and obviously they didn't tell customer service. That's one of the reasons I posted, so that others who are using the bus will recognize that Celebrity is charging more. (Again)

Before any one gets out the flame throwers, it would I think clarify the situation if we were told

a/ Bus company name

b/ Location of the bus p/u

c/ Is charge for one person or two or four

$130 for one does sound excessive.if the bus is from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale.In the past I have taken this method of reaching the port but the charge was app. $60 pp and was for a round trip (Pt Charlotte/Fort Lauderdale/Pt Charlotte). When I enquired last I was told that Celebrity no longer offered the bus . In fact Crystal (an upscale line) offers no transport to its Florida clients (when sailing from Miami) it does not even offer transport to or from the airport to the ship, the brochure clearly states "pasengers must make their own arrangments "

One reason I no longer take any cruise out of the FL ports is the difficulty of getting from the west coast of the state to the port and the ship. Driviing is not an option, I travel solo and am very much a senior.

I have no idea what bus company. The option was offered on the web site as part of the "My Celebrity" site. I think I found out about it from frequently asked questions. I just don't remeber how I come upon it. The charge is included in the final bill, and Celebrity knows it is part of the package because it is billed to me. I can't make pre or post cruise arrangements until I cancel the bus arrangement, the computer program won't allow it. (ie I can't spend extra nights, or book shore excursions.)

The price is reasonable, I guess, until I have tried it. Leaves from Ft Myers and Naples, and supposedly ends up someplace near the terminal. It beats the price of parking. And yes it now 130.00 for two people.

I have no problem with the charge. The price is still reasonable. What irritates me is the fact that I have still not been notified. I just chanced upon it while looking up the record.

I was also irritated by the response when I asked about it. I didn't know why it was charged or where the new total owed was 10.00. I could not figure out where the ten dollars came from. After the phone call, yes 42 minutes, I explored it very seriously and figured out what was going on.

No, I did not waste the forty two minutes. I put the speaker phone on and listened while doing other paperwork. I realy just wondered how long I would have to wait. Still waiting.

I am now concerned if this bus thing really exists...maybe I found a link that automatically books a phantom bus!

Summerwind.

The bus company was Cruise Connections based in Tampa. I paid $65 for just one person , and boarded the bus in Port Charlotte. took about 3 hours to get to Ft Lauderdale because of pick ups.

You may be able to ask Directory Enquiries, for a phone number for the company, and speak with them direct.

It was a good way to get from Pt Charlotte to Ft Lauderdale, but last cruise I wanted to use it I was told that Celebrity (and HAL) no longer offered this

Hope you get satisfaction.

This seems to be a common problem. However, once something is paid in full, the price should be set. I have had a cruiseline and a tour operator try to increase the price this week after final payment. I was able to get it reversed for my clients.

I don't blame you for questioning this. If it takes another 42 minutes, they should give you a good reason why the price increased after final payment... What does FINAL mean?

First the bus transportation is not "provided" by Celebrity. It is just the same as buying air through Celebrity. They are offering a service to passengers.

The bus company is CruiseConnection(http://www.connect2cruise.com/). They offer bus service to Port Everglades(FLL) and Miami from a good part of Florida. Not all the buses they use are painted with there name since they contract other buses to make runs for them. They recently increased their fares due to increased fuel costs. Celebrity had the right to pass those costs along.

They recently increased their fares due to increased fuel costs. Celebrity had the right to pass those costs along.

Why? Couldn't Celebrity say "we refuse to charge more to people who have already paid in full. We can increase future fares, but not those already agreed to. If you are unwilling to go along with this, we will end our association with you and find another transportation vendor." I can't imagine that this company could afford to lose all of X's current and future business over a relatively insignificant number of already-paid-for fares...

OK, the deal is this. The balance was reset to zero... we'll see what happens as March draws closer. The fee for the bus reverted to the "original price".

In conversation with the resolution office, they merely told me that the balance would be adjusted to zero. When I looked at the new payment confirmation record, the balance was zero and the bus fee reverted to the original price. Interesting that resolutions never said anything about the bus transfer being more, they just sent me a new "updated" confirmation identical the the one I had recieved when I paid in full. Almost as if the ten dollars wasn't worth all this effort (they were correct) and they just wanted to make it go away. Or maybe, if the glass is half full, the wanted to make the customer happy!

So far, I am happy.

Thanks for the info regarding the bus company, they have a site on line, and when I have real time, I'll e-mail them and confirm that they have me on their list.

But for now, the problem is resolved.

In the meantime, I've enjoyed this site a lot, and learned even more. As a newbie, it's nice th know that the expreienced travelers are willing to share their stories and help out in a pinch.

FYI: We take the same bus (company) from Ocala to Port Everglades (...and then it continues on to Miami.) Both HAL and Celebrity use the same bus line.

The fee went up on January 1st approximately $10 pp RT.

It's a very convenient way to get to the ports, as they drop you off RIGHT at the ship, and there's absolutely no way I could get down there & back for the price they are charging, so the bus fare is fair.

As far as X is concerned and how they passed the new pricing along to you?...i'll end here....as you have resolved it nicely.

Great. you were not the bus company customer but you were a celebrity customer and had every right to know why there was an additional charge.

Now make sure you check your final bill at the end of the cruise, because many people find themselves with charges

they did not make.. If you wait till you get home, you will be dealing with that same customer service...

I'm happy to hear that the matter is resolved. Since you contracted with Celebrity for the service at a price and paid in full, the discussion should be over. It really shouldn't matter what the bus company charges others.

Thank you for following up! While it was only $10, the principle is the issue.

If they get away with it , they will try to add all kinds of extra fees because costs went up.

I use to go to Ocala to catch the bus also. Loved the trip down hated the return trip. Live in Inverness so had to find someone to pick us up and take us.. I remember when the trip was free. I think the cruise lines provide it as got it with several TA. It wasn't that many years ago either. Perhaps 10 or so. I agree though, If going on long cruise or even 7 nights cheaper than toll, gas and then $20 per day to park in Miami .

Archived