Atmosphere on Princess

gavinfromlondon

Hi, this might be a bit of a controversial post so apologies!

My wife and I have booked a suite on a nine night cruise out of New York on the Caribbean Princess next year; we're professionals in our late 20s who enjoy just relaxing, eating nice food and wine. enjoying the onboard entertainment etc. We've been on two Royal Caribbean cruises which we've really enjoyed.

We booked Princess because it seemed quite similar to RC in many ways and we fancied a change.

I'd been really looking forward to it; however, certain postings on this site have made me wonder whether Princess is right for us. From some of the postings, it would appear that Princess may attract a more subdued and less friendly group of travellers than Royal Caribbean (and I'm not talking age here, we made great friends with people in their 70s on our last cruise).

I've been quite shocked by how obsessed some people seem over things like dress codes... I mean I like to look smart, but the responses I've seen on here if someone dares to wear jeans makes me feel quite uncomfortable about what peeople are going to be like onboard.

I just wondered what people's thoughts/ experiences are?

We love Princess, and I would not let the “anal” folks dissuade you. Some folks just like an electronic soap box to preach from. :p

We have done both RCI and Princess and probably give Princess an upper hand. During the day, most folks were very casual, swim wear and shorts being the order of the day. For dinner in the dinner room (and I mean dinner in the dining room) we men wore long pants (Dockers style, not jeans) and shoes, and on formal nights wore our tuxes, but other than that, we were as casual as could be.

The food was definitely a measurable cut above our last RCI cruise this summer, and we totally loved the Crown.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. :)

We've been on numerous Princess cruises and really enjoy the atmosphere. The folks on Princess seem friendlier to me than on Carnival, where we cruised with friends a couple of years ago. We've made great cruise friends, many past table members and I are still in touch.

You do have to remember that the people here on CC represent about 1% of the cruisers in the world. Don't worry about the dress, chair hogs, smoking, etc. It's isn't as bad (or good) as some post might lead you to believe.

I think you'll be happy with your choice to try Princess.

Charlie

I agree. I am 44 and have been cruising for almost 20 years with my spouse. We started on RCCL and tried Princess on our third cruise. We enjoyed both lines with pros and cons of each. We give Princess an edge in food and atmosphere, however we will probably sail on other lines in the future if we like the itinerary. Go and enjoy because you will find great people on Princess. Be sure and check in with your Roll Call because we met some of the nicest people in August on the Tahitian and will probably sail again with some that we met!

I agree with the other posters: you have nothing to worry about. You'll have a great time.

We've done 6 Princess cruises and have 2 more booked, including the same cruise as you're taking (this coming June.) As was mentioned above, the people on CruiseCritic represent a very, VERY small minority of passengers on ships, especially a ship with as many passengers as the Caribbean Princess. And, the people who take the time to come on here and particpate in the posts tend to be the more "passionate" (if you will) about the subjects discussed. I think you'll find the vast majority of passengers to be very laid back and relaxed, and the staff to be wonderfully helpful and friendly. We always have.

The ship is beautiful (we cruised on her in December 2006) and the itinerary is wonderful. Please don't be worried about some of the attitudes you may see on here. It shouldn't in any affect your enjoyment of your vacation.

Happy cruising! :D

You seek "atmosphere". Suggest you try following the recommended dress codes for the dining rooms -- even caviar and champagne will taste better in an elegant atmosphere! A cruise is also a venue to enjoy dressing up. /Sultan

Hi, this might be a bit of a controversial post so apologies!

eating nice food and wine. enjoying the onboard entertainment etc. We've been on two Royal Caribbean cruises which we've really enjoyed.

I've been quite shocked by how obsessed some people seem over things like dress codes... I mean I like to look smart, but the responses I've seen on here if someone dares to wear jeans makes me feel quite uncomfortable about what peeople are going to be like onboard.

Archived