1st Time Cruiser

DreaminofMexico

So, my hubby gave me a cruise for Christmas!!!! I am so excited...Me and a girlfriend are goin to Cozumel in May. Be on the Holiday from Mobile, AL. Hubby don't think he would like to cruise.......???? Whatever.....

I am so excited!!

I love this board and it is a great help.

Would love to hear from some of your experienced cruisers.....what to expect....???I am loving that you can (smuggle) alcohol!!! :)

So.......I have no idea how many clothes to take and all that?

Let's talk.......

Thanks and Dreamin of Mexico!!!

You will have a blast! We are going on the Holiday again in June. I loved the ship even though she has a few wrinkles. Just know she is not one of the newer ships with lots of glitz. The staff is great.

Don't forget you can take a bottle of wine with you with no hassles. We take a magnum bottle lol. There is lots to do in Cozumel. Depends on you. We like to snorkel.

I am thinking of doing the snorkeling. I have never snorkeled sounds fun.......:confused: Yeah, I keep hearing the Holiday is the oldest smallest cruise ship out there, but that it is still one of the most fun ships also.....so I think for my 1st cruise it will be a good starter ship......but Next time :D (LOL I am already thinkin of next time and I have never been) I think I will pick a bigger newer ship........:)

Can't delete posts that I know of but most people just edit the duplicates by erasing text & type duplicate there to save room.

As for packing, pack lighter than you think. Go ahead & plan what you think you will wear and take about half back out. lol

My first cruise I took everything but the kitchen sink. Even had 1 suitcase for just the junk that everyone said was a musthave which most didn't get used.

The search tool will help you a lot. Use it to find things like packing list or port activities such as snorkeling etc & it will help you. There is also a section here for first time cruisers that has loads of info.

So, my hubby gave me a cruise for Christmas!!!! I am so excited...Me and a girlfriend are goin to Cozumel in May. Be on the Holiday from Mobile, AL. Hubby don't think he would like to cruise.......???? Whatever.....

I am so excited!!

Would love to hear from some of your experienced cruisers.....what to expect....???I am loving that you can (smuggle) alcohol!!! :)

Let's talk.......

CONGRATULATIONS! You are going to LOVE cruising. My tidbits of advice...

Yes it is fairly easy to bring "beverages" on board. :D

Still plan to buy some of the "boat drinks" and the "drinks of the day". There is nothing like sipping a strawberry pina colada poolside!

Make sure you bring an extension cord with multiple outlets...there is only one outlet in the cabin.

Ask your room steward for bath robes...they will be happy to get one for you to use.

After you pack...take out half...you will never need as much as you think you will.

Make sure you bring good walking shoes.

Pack an outfit and a swimsuit in your carry-on...just in case.

Afternoon naps are a GREAT way to get a boost to enjoy the evening shows.

Later dinners are better, so there is no rushing on port days. If you are hungry at 5:00, there is always the buffet where you can grab a snack if your dinner is scheduled for 8:00.

Eat dinner in the dining room. The service and the food are excellent.

Take advantage of room service for late night snacks, and for breakfast on port days.

All of the food is considered "all you can eat", so if you want more than one appetizer...ASK FOR IT. If you want more than one entree...ASK FOR IT.

Cappuccinos in the dining room are free, but not at the coffee bar.

Get dressed up for formal nights. It's half the fun.

Bring conditioner if you need it. There is only shampoo and body wash in the shower dispensers.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll come back if I think of more. Meanwhile, I hope you have a GREAT TIME!!!

Thanks for the input! I noticed on other threads people were saying to bring extension cords and I was like for WHAT???? So there is only one outlet in the cabin? That is kinda strange? But hey I can pack a extension cord.......

I am excited about formal nights, don't have much chance to dress up so gonna use this as an excuse!! I can't wait to to pick out my dress!!! Woo HOO

I can't wait.......I noticed driving home from work that it's stayin light longer already, and I was like May will be here before you know it.......

keep the information coming....

as always

Dreamin of layin on the beach in COZUMEL!!!!:)

After you pack...take out half...you will never need as much as you think you will.

I disagree with this one, personally. It's a short cruise and you're not travelling internationally. So what if you have overpacked? Won't it be nice to have choices of what to wear all the way to the last day? If you bring some outfits home unworn, I'm not sure how that hurts your vacation... :)

Thanks for the input! I noticed on other threads people were saying to bring extension cords and I was like for WHAT???? So there is only one outlet in the cabin? That is kinda strange? But hey I can pack a extension cord.......

I am excited about formal nights, don't have much chance to dress up so gonna use this as an excuse!! I can't wait to to pick out my dress!!! Woo HOO

I can't wait.......I noticed driving home from work that it's stayin light longer already, and I was like May will be here before you know it.......

keep the information coming....

as always

Dreamin of layin on the beach in COZUMEL!!!!:)

I thought it was strange too. But, there IS only one outlet...and it's not even in the bathroom. It's on the vanity, so if you want to use anything electrical in the bathroom, you'll want to bring at least a 12 footer. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me...they do provide a hair dryer (again...by the vanity). I'm not sure where it's plugged in at, but it doesn't take up the one plug available to you.

Also...don't forget that the sun is WAY stronger down there, so make sure you have sunscreen. And aloe gel. And lip balm.:D

I disagree with this one, personally. It's a short cruise and you're not travelling internationally. So what if you have overpacked? Won't it be nice to have choices of what to wear all the way to the last day? If you bring some outfits home unworn, I'm not sure how that hurts your vacation... :)

I suppose you're right, if the person doing the packing were planning to bring a large suitcase to begin with, then it wouldn't hurt their vacation at all to carry home extra clothes that were unworn. My thinking is, that the smaller and less cumbersome the luggage can be...the better. But, I suppose that is a personal choice...and the OP should use her judgement. Thanks for the alternate opinion. :)

These days, most luggage is of the rolling variety, and large, heavy bags aren't much more difficult to schlep around than smaller, lighter ones... I tend to overpack a lot, but I don't mind because I like being able to choose what I want to wear rather than being forced to wear something because I have no other clean options...

I am thinking of doing the snorkeling. I have never snorkeled sounds fun.......:confused: Yeah, I keep hearing the Holiday is the oldest smallest cruise ship out there, but that it is still one of the most fun ships also.....so I think for my 1st cruise it will be a good starter ship......but Next time :D (LOL I am already thinkin of next time and I have never been) I think I will pick a bigger newer ship........:)

The Holiday is a great ship with an excellent crew. Cozumel is great, I loved Playa Mia Beach Break and Passion Island.

Beware, the Holiday has more motion than the bigger ships. Take some motion sickness medicine just in case....

Frequently more than one electrical outlet is required if you have to charge batteries for your digital camera and/or video camera or even a cell phone all at the same time. An extension cord with mulitple plugs (or one of those multple plug things that plug directly into a receptacle) does not take up much room in a suitcase. Better to have if you need it than to need it and not have it.

We always take a small roll of duct tape and plastic ties along also. The duct tape is incase our suitcases get damaged in transit. May I also suggest plastic baggies and manila envelopes. My wife is a scrapbooker and she uses the plastic baggies and envelopes for the daily newsletter ("Capers" on Carnival) and any other "souviners" she can purloin. They help keep things from getting bent out of shape and she can sort by using an envelope/day of the cruise. Have fun!!!

Richard

Well IMHO, your hubby is crazy

YUP, yer husband's crazy alright. But if he bought you a cruise, he's also generous, so keep him around. ;) You'll LOVE Cozumel, has somethin for everyone, beaches, snorkling, diving, shopping, and the infamous Carlos-N-Charlies. Enjoy your cruise!

Well IMHO, your hubby is crazy

YUP, yer husband's crazy alright. But if he bought you a cruise, he's also generous, so keep him around. ;) You'll LOVE Cozumel, has somethin for everyone, beaches, snorkling, diving, shopping, and the infamous Carlos-N-Charlies. Enjoy your cruise!

You DEFINITELY have to visit Carlos-N-Charlie's. That is a staple of Cozumel.

Also...there are no alarm clocks in the cabins, so if you think you will need one...bring it.

Thanks for all the exciting info.....I am so glad I found this board it has been most helpful.

On hubby being crazy I literally will have to agree with that.......!!!! He's crazy but I am crazy about him! :) We've been married 15 years old and dated for 5 years.....

Actually since i have been on this website and been reading and looking at all the stuff about cruises he has admitted that it MIGHT be fun and that MAYBE one day he will go on one.......;)

And yes him buyin me this cruise was generous cause he is a TIGHT WAD and I think that TOO maybe one of the reasons he don't want to go......

Ok....so now I am HOPING and gonna strongly hint for a CRUISE for the 20th anniversary!!! :D

Well are any of you gonna be on the Holiday the 1st of May???? Would love to hear from you.....

Dreamin of Mexico

Thanks for all the exciting info.....I am so glad I found this board it has been most helpful.

On hubby being crazy I literally will have to agree with that.......!!!! He's crazy but I am crazy about him! :) We've been married 15 years old and dated for 5 years.....

Actually since i have been on this website and been reading and looking at all the stuff about cruises he has admitted that it MIGHT be fun and that MAYBE one day he will go on one.......;)

And yes him buyin me this cruise was generous cause he is a TIGHT WAD and I think that TOO maybe one of the reasons he don't want to go......

Ok....so now I am HOPING and gonna strongly hint for a CRUISE for the 20th anniversary!!! :D

Well are any of you gonna be on the Holiday the 1st of May???? Would love to hear from you.....

Dreamin of Mexico

I WISH!!! But, sadly...no. However, keep an eye on this roll call board...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=343I didn't see a roll call for May 1 yet, but someone will probably start one. Maybe you would like to do it yourself...:D

You will have a ball. We have been there many times, and find the island beautiful. They have replaced most of the palms along the beach, but the middle of the island still looks very bleak as a result of the hurricane 2 years.

If you like to snorkel, do make a trip to Chankanaab Park. They have completely rebuilt it since the storm took out EVERYTHING. It's a marine reserve, and has some great reefs. You can take the excursions offered by CCL, but it's really not necessary. It's about a $10-15(not per person) taxi ride to the park. Takes maybe 15 minutes or less. Entrance to the park was about $10 - 12 per person? I don't remember exactly, but Google it, and you can get info on the internet.

Carnival has an excursion that includes a swim with the dolphins. They'll make you believe they have an exclusive on that, but don't believe it. When you get to the park, you can book it, and at a price that's much less. It's a small island, so shopping & snorkling are about all there is to do.

The CCL excursion will cost at least twice as much, and then you're stuck with the group, and don't have the freedom snorkling if you're an experieced snorkler or diver. Scuba equipment is available if you're certified, and Snuba is also available if you're not certified but want to be able to stay underwater for an extended period of time. A great way to go even if you're inexperienced; maybe even easier because you don't have to worry about sucking in water and purging.

Carnival always trys puts a little fear in you about being left behind. Use common sense, and give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. I've never left the park but what there were't several taxis waiting to give you a ride back. They live waiting for those ships to come in to port. Depending on the itinery, if Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen is the next port, a $20 ferry ride gets you to the mainland. You may just have to get a room and wait till the next morning to reboard. You really do have to be a dummy to make that necessary.

Have fun. It's my favorite island in the Western Caribbean.

I am so excited!!

Let's talk.......

By the way, there are places at the park to eat also. Mostly Mexican food, but it's go-o-o-o-d. Beer and Magaritas too. If you like tequila, stop and do a little shopping in town. There is a flavored tequila called Tequipal. My favorite is strawberry, but they'll usually let you taste them all. If they don't, just move on to the next store. Most do oiffer. If you like, buy plenty. It's not available in the states. You're allowed 1 litre tariff free. We brought back a case last trip, claimed it, and customs just waived me thru after offering to pay the tariff. Even if they do charge, it's usually only $1.50 to $2 a bottle. Cheaper than having to cruise back after downing the only bottle you brought back.

Archived