Best tour operator for snorkeling?

Kate0330

We will be in Key West Jan. 25 for a half-day and would like to do some snorkeling. We are trying to choose between Fury, Sebago, Sunny Days and Floridays? Has anybody used these companies before? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

From what I have read, if we went with Fury, Sebago or Sunny Days we would be sailing on a larger ship with many people. And Floridays would be a smaller sailboat with less than 20 people. Is this right?

Also, I have never snorkeled before (but I do know how to swim). Does this have any impact on what ship I should go on?

Thanks so much!

We will be in Key West Jan. 25 for a half-day and would like to do some snorkeling. We are trying to choose between Fury, Sebago, Sunny Days and Floridays? Has anybody used these companies before? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

From what I have read, if we went with Fury, Sebago or Sunny Days we would be sailing on a larger ship with many people. And Floridays would be a smaller sailboat with less than 20 people. Is this right?

Also, I have never snorkeled before (but I do know how to swim). Does this have any impact on what ship I should go on?

Thanks so much!

I always tell people that in terms of having fun, safety, and quality of the expirience, choosing a trip is like throwing a dart in the wall. Whatever name you hit will be OK.

The Sebago, Caribbean Spirit (Sunny Days) and Fury all use large catamarans which can hold just over 100 people, but in all these years I've only been on one of these when the boat was filled. In January it is very likely that there will be 2 dozen people on a morning or afternoon snorkel. The Fury costs the least if you pre-book or book on the streets and the Carribean Spirit had the prettiest boat - two masts instead of one.

The Floridays is the most expensive - $45.00 + tax - but is IMO the most enjoyable. It is as you say a smaller single-hulled boat, the trip is more intimate, and you really get a good sense of sailing when you are going out and coming back in. If there are children in the group when you clear the Bight ask the captain if they can steer for a while. There may be as few as 6 people on one of these trips, and in January there is more of a worry they won't get the minimum number to go out rather than getting the max. A small drawback for the Floeidays is that it is slightly more difficult to get into the water and out again as you must sit on a small transom in the stern and drop in to the water. On the cats, you pretty much walk down a ramp / stairway into the water. It's shown on their web page.

If you decide on the Floridays, try to sit on the two seats set into the stern rail. These provide the best view of the hotels and the Mallory Docks as well as Sunset Key as you sail away from Key West.

And as long as you can swim you can snorkel. Almost all of the boats require that you wear a vest for bouancy and unless the mask doesn't fit properly, you will be too distracted by what you see to worry about being in the water.

Pjk

Archived