St. John- on own--suggestions??

bchbum641

We are planning to rent a vehicle for the day in ST. John. What are some places and things that we should do. We were there one other time for just a few hrs and we hiked the trail that was close to the national park welcome building. We have snorkeling gear and want to do that also.

Just returned from St. Thomas and spent the day on St. John from a Dec 8 Princess cruise. We taxied, but a rental car would have been great. We spent all day at Trunk Bay. There was certainly time to go to another beach if we had a car. I wasn't will to pay for multiple taxi rides to other bays.

Trunk was worth the stop but it did get crowded later and there were only two ships ported that day. The underwater trail is OK and the snorkeling was decent. It is a pretty beach. I would make Trunk the first stop to beat the crowds then research other bays for number two or three. I don't think more than three would be comfortable.

Check my other post on ferry travel for some hints on getting to the island. There are ferry schedules posted on the USVI web sites Good luck!

For driving tour... You can beach hop some of the northshore beaches just to see them, stopping at the look outs for photos... so look out over Cruz Bay, then look out over Caneel Bay, stop by Caneel Bay if you want, Hawksnest Beach if you want to stop by, then look out for Trunk Bay, you can then stop at Trunk Bay for a bit - there is an admission fee, or continue on to Cinnamon Bay, the Cinnamon Bay sugar plantation ruin with walking trail is across from the entrance/parking area for the beach, Maho/Francis look out, continue over to Annaberg which is a plantation ruin with signs and walking trail. Can head to Coral Bay and drive to see the east end of the island. Go along Centerline Road to make the loop back to Cruz Bay and you'd have driven around the whole island.

Since you have a car if you wanted to do a more off the beaten track snorkeling beach as far as cruise passengers go you could head to Waterlemon. You'd drive out along the northshore so would see all the look outs and views and head to Annaberg, could check it out; the trail to Waterlemon starts at Leinster Bay which is below Annaberg. You'd hike to Waterlemon, good snorkeling there but no amenities so plan to have drinks/snacks with you.

--Islander

Thanks Islander- I think that sounds great. The snorkeling suggestion we will have to try. I read somewhere about barracutas around - never seen one that I know of- They won't bother humans will they? I just remember studieing them in school and thought they were pretty scary. Thanks for the great info:)

I would just tour the northshore beaches! Maho is one that is farther down, but if you go during the right time there are lots of sea turtles!

Get a map of the beaches and have fun! They're really all off the same road, and they're all great in their own ways.

The various fish, small to big, scary to cute, usually don't bother people. Other notes: stay off the coral, you damage it by touching or standing on it and also some coral types can cause rashes and burning. Don't feed the marine life, pay attention to where you put your feet if you are close to rocks - looking out for sea urchins or other critters, and that's about it. ;)

--Islander

We have taken bread to feed the fish in the past. Are you saying not to do that? And if so what is the reason? When we went to Stringray City in Grand Cayman the guides fed them. We've also gone on other snorkeling tours (before we got our own equipment) and the guides have given us food for the fish. Of course I don't want to do anything that isn't good for the fish either.:confused:

In terms of St. John, its home to the VI National Park which includes about 2/3rds of the island itself as well as submerged lands and waters. Feeding marine life and terrestrial wildlife is prohibited in the park. And in general, there are studies that suggest feeding marine life food not normal to their diet can be harmful to them and their digestive systems.

--Islander

Archived