what should first timers do in bonaire?

baileyimpact

We will be in Bonaire for our second time this coming March. The first time we were there (2004), we went on a wonderful snorkeling expedition, then rented a scooter ($25 per day) and headed up to the National Park on the North end of the island. Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time to really see the park or do much else than return back to the port.

This time, we will rent a scooter, head up to the National Park, do some hiking and photography in the park, head off to a beach to snorkel, then head back to the port.

Is it pretty easy to get around the island on a scooter? We will be porting in Bonaire on the Caribbean Princess on March 11th but the ship will only be there 7am - 1pm. Given this short period, my boyfriend and I would like tour the island on our own and see different sights, snorkel, etc on our own time. We generally tend to avoid the "air conditioned bus" excursions provided by the cruiseline and thought the scooters may be fitting and FUN! Any recommendations on how to route our scooter ride? North side first, then South? Must see sights?

Thanks!

Bonaire is 25m long and 3-5 m wide. As you can see from the map it is hard to get lost. The car rental should provide you with a map. Places of interest, (south)Dockey sanctuary (near the airport), Pink beach which got washed away 10 yr ago but is coming back. Salt pier, looks like hills of snow as you approach. Yo maybe able to see flamingoes on the salt flats. In the 16 years we have been there we nevr got close. White & red slave huts. The lighthouse at the tip of the Island. (north) There are only two towns Kralendijk (pronounced: crawlin dike) & Rincon. If you get to rincon find the icecream factory which is someones house. Once in rincon ask cause there are no signs. Also they are not always open. Washington park is wild but you will need a jeep. We never go alone cause it is alot of wilderness. O the west coast road (between rincon and Kralendijk) you may see a sign for indian caves. We drove into them, not recomended. Snorkeling is pretty much all over the island. There is alot to see right off shore.

Hope this was some help.

Bob

Island Info

http://www.infobonaire.com/

Map of Bonaire

http://barbadosroadatlas.com/bonaire/map.html

By all means, SNORKEL. I just returned, and I will have to tell you I have never in my life seen so many fish. It was spectacular, you name it, we saw it. Went with Renee she meet us at the ship within ten minutes we were in the water. The only problem was it just wasn’t long enough, I could have stayed all day. It was great to be with Renee, if she saw something really special she would tell us. Great day !! GO SNORKENING!

By all means, SNORKEL. I just returned, and I will have to tell you I have never in my life seen so many fish. It was spectacular, you name it, we saw it. Went with Renee she meet us at the ship within ten minutes we were in the water. The only problem was it just wasn’t long enough, I could have stayed all day. It was great to be with Renee, if she saw something really special she would tell us. Great day !! GO SNORKENING!

I just started another thrad in the aruba forum...But to make a long story short, Is the snorkeling better in Bonaire thain in Aruba?? If we have to pick one, where should we go? We have snorkeled in Aruba before and loved it!!

I have not snorkeled Aruba, but honestly I can't imagine it could be any better than Bonaire. We saw approx 13/15 moray eels, a turtle, angles, wrass, trumpet fish, sand sifters, puffers, a big school of bone fish, feather dusters, anomie, tang, parrot, the only fish we did not see,that I can think of off hand were clowns. We were in approx 15 feet on water so you could see everything, even the juveniles. It was really nice.

We've done both Aruba and Bonaire and Bonaire had the best snorkeling in my opinion. Lots to see, turtles/fish/coral, and lots of places to see it. Anywhere there is a yellow rock is a dive or snorkel site. Just walk in, lay down in the water and enjoy! Beaches in Bonaire are mostly coral, so you'll need water shoes. Lac Bay is sandy and is where the windsurfers hang out. Chairs/restrooms/small cafe&bar make it a nice place to hang out. Walk out past the naturalist resort to snorkel, very shallow and good for beginners.

We are also first time to Bonaire and booked "a day at the beach" $158 for 2. In port 7am -1PM, but rethinking the day at the beach. Would like to snorkel and beach, but like lesser crowds. Suggestions please for the short visit.

:o

Archived