Is the on board babysitting safe?

MissOlive

Ok, I asked this in another thread, but I think it got buried:o

I'd like everyone's feedback on babysitting on board. I am refering to either the private babysitting in the cabin, or group babysitting at night.

First, the RCCL gentleman told me that the group babysitting on RCCL will take any age-is that true? My youngest is almost 2, in diapers.

Second, my gut makes me nervous about this. Someone I don't know, alone in a room with my kids. I'd feel better in the group setting, but even that makes me nervous.

Yes, my kids go to daycare, but I know those people, I researched it before I sent them there, there are other adults and other kids. Anyone who has done one-on-one sitting with my kids has only been someone that I know extremely well.

I hope this isn't a heated topic! I just would like feedback from others. Maybe I am just too over-protective!!

Adventure Ocean takes kids if they are potty trained.

RCCL provides in room babysitting for children age 12 months and older.

I've used it before. I was pleased. I will use it again.

I'm not going to try to talk you into, or out of, it. You have to do what feels good for you and your family.

On RCCI the "group sitting" is adventure ocean until 10:00 and then essecentially AO (but you've got to pay) after 10:00. For AO you've got to be 3YO and fully trained -- no exceptions (due to how RCCI is insured - age, and due how AO is equipped - sanitary regulation concerns for changing diapers).

In room sitting is generally pretty good. But

1) it is just a staff member who is doing it on there own time.

2) it may not be available (limited number of staff members willing to do so, staffing issues at the pursurers desk to arrange for it)

3) generally limited to ages 1 and over

My BIL and his wife did this with my niece when she was just over 2YO (she is now 3.5YO). They had the same lady all three nights. BIL explained that we would be "checking in" periodically, and we did. Niece was asleep pretty much the entire time, but when she was up the sitter talked to her, changed her, helped her back to sleep.

If you do try the in room sitting, be flexible. If you don't get a good feeling for the sitter, pay her a little something and feign a headache. If you try the sitter, do stop by, listen at the door and/or pop your head in "just to check". Let the sitter know where she can find you (your table # in the dining room and what your other plans might be for the time you are out).

Good luck with whatever you decide!

The above poster is right. 3yrs old AND potty trained is absolute minimum. For in your cabin, it has to be at least 12 months. I thought about this last cruise because there were a few late night things I wanted to do. Well we never made it - we were too tired as well.:D

As far as being leary - it is a personal decision. It can get heated here with opinions of leaving them alone but we have yet to hear one bad story about the staff babysitters at RCCL. I think it would work well for after the child goes to sleep and the staff member can just read a book or watch soft TV. I think expecting anymore would make it a big disappointment. If you do end up doing it, just check on them here and there and be appreciative to the babysitter and all will work out fine!

I have used sitters in Switzerland, Spain, Bermuda and on Celebrity. It worked out fine and my son was treated well. Most hotels and certainly the cruise lines- don't want any headaches. The crew are perfectly capable of watching your child for a few hours- with you footsteps away.

Don't worry.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived