OK - Now I'm Really Confused

rickcop44

I just read the following on today's Cruise Critic home page:

"As of January 31, 2008, the State Department will implement the second phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which will require U. S. citizens to possess a valid identity document (e.g. U.S. driver's license) and citizenship document (e.g. U.S. birth certificate) to cross land borders and sea borders between U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean region. "

I tried doing a search on this subject, but didn't really get any useful information. Since this paragraph doesn't specifically mention a passport, it almost sounds as though passengers will need DL and birth certificate IN ADDITION to a passport. Is this correct or am I just reading this wrong?

I tried looking at the US government website and didn't really get anything helpful there either. Can anyone shed some light on exactly what we need when we cruise the Caribbean??

"As of January 31, 2008, the State Department will implement the second phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which will require U. S. citizens to possess a valid identity document (e.g. U.S. driver's license) and citizenship document (e.g. U.S. birth certificate) to cross land borders and sea borders between U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean region. "

I tried doing a search on this subject, but didn't really get any useful information. Since this paragraph doesn't specifically mention a passport, it almost sounds as though passengers will need DL and birth certificate IN ADDITION to a passport. Is this correct or am I just reading this wrong?

I tried looking at the US government website and didn't really get anything helpful there either. Can anyone shed some light on exactly what we need when we cruise the Caribbean??

I think this means you must have a DL and BC no matter where you go now outside the U.S., if you have a passport instead, even better. In the past you could just drive to Mexico with a DL, no BC was required, but it will be now.

A passport & drivers license is all you will need. Without passport, you will need another document to prove your nationality such as a birth certificate.

You don't even need a DL when you are using a PassPort, unless you are planning on driving.

OP----I think what they are saying is, just for instance....in the past if you were to drive over to Mexico for the day, you did not have to show BC, now you will have to show both DL & BC if you do not have a PassPort.

Many years ago I used to go into Mexico all the time. We would go down for the day, walk back across the border and the agents would look at you, say "Citizenship", you answered "U.S.", they would ask "Anything to declare" you answer "No" and they move on to the next guy in line. Awhile back they "toughened" things up a bit and you were supposed to show DL or State ID card, this was enforced with frighteningly irregularity. Now they actually enforce the showing of ID. After the date you mentioned, you will have to have a BC and a DL or State Issued ID (minimum), but if you have a passport, this has ALWAYS sufficed for any form of Immigration ID. When they are all done, their apparent goal (do any of us actually know what a government group is really thinking?) is for anyone who crosses an Int'l border to have a passport. I'm sure once they have acheived that, they will move on to state borders as well, after all, there are those people who never cross an Int'l border and I'm sure they want their money as well! But that could just be my glass half empty view of politics!

The State Department is also expected to start taking applications on Feb 1 for passport cards which are cheaper to obtain than the current passport books and which may be used for crossing ground borders and at seaports (not good for air travel).

Archived