Carnival Elation review Jan 7-12 Mexico

Seayalater

the powers that be said my review was better off on the message boards. I thought I followed all the criteria, but it was rejected...boo hoo..

I was the whiner who posted "My worst nightmare" under the Carnival boards complaining prior to sailing about the cabin we were assigned. Lowest deck , last room aft. Well I regret that because we had a TERRIFIC time.

We stayed at the Best Western Palm Harbor, right along the marina. It was lovely and tropical, rooms were clean and the view lovely for someone getting away from snow and ice in the Midwest. They shuttled us to the port the next day (about 10 minute drive) drove us right to the Elation, dropped our bags with the luggage guy and we were ON BOARD in less then 5 minutes. This was approx. 12:15. Rooms were not ready till 1:30 so we walked the ship and took pictures. The Elation is tough to figure out directions wise, we were constantly turned around. We got to our room, all the way aft on Riviera deck, last cabin. The room was comfy and large enough. The cabins configure 2 beds into an L shape with an unmovable table in the upper left corner of the room. When they configure this to a king size, some one has to hop over the table to get to the ocean view side. The window is very large and worth the extra money. At first we felt the engine motion but it became soothing. I slept better on this ship & this is our 6th cruise, 1st time on Carnival. Our room steward Jamie was pleasant enough, (though never greeted us by name as they are supposed to, but so what, they work really long hours. Tip extra!!)The decore is a bit gaudy and dated. Elation goes to dry dock later this year for updating. There are lots of bars and entertainment areas. It was very chilly in San Diego, so not many cruisers stayed up top during sailaway. We had 1st seating in the Inspiration dining room. First night the sea was rough.But I put on my sea bands and was fine. The dining crew gets props for dealing with a rocky boat!

We had lovely table mates, Annie & Bill from Colorado, whom we had a lot in common. Could Carnival have set us up or was it fate? We had a large booth and were served by Joseph and Tomma. We would order double appetizers or 2 desserts, never a problem. I thought food on Carnival would be a negative but we enjoyed our dining room meals very much. Tiffany's the buffet badly needs improvement with a lack of variety and seating. Very congested. One night I got hit in the head by a fast walking server holding a crate of glasses.

I popped in for the evening entertainment twice and it was no big deal, the dancers wear scanty Vegas-style show clothes in some numbers and the Hypnotist let fakers charade as being " put under". The Newlywed game also was rigged according to participant I talked too. Shame Mr. Cruise Director. We got to Cabos and walked all over, the plaza along the marina is very nice. The locals are very aggressive and you have to keep away from the silver bracelet sellers who pop out of no where. Garcia's was nice for an outdoor lunch and there is a nice liqour store close by that has terrific pricing (better then the ship) We carried it right on board the Elation. One note, the liqour store on the ship had "sold out of Grand Marnier on the last cruise", so we were out of luck on that.

Musical Cafe has great coffee, opens at 7 and the mocha's, lattes etc are quite good.

I didn't get off in Ensenada, it was way to polluted and smoggy. Some people on the ship loved it.

Disembarktion was swift, we requested early luggage tagsand were off the ship before 9. Don't take the Carnival shuttle for $16 per person. There are lots of shuttles charging $5 per person and get you to the airport by flying over as many speed bumps as possible. Buckle up!!

Glad you had a great time! You mentioned this was your first time on Carnival....I had to laugh when you mentioned how gawdy the decor was on the Elation:D Since the Elation is pretty much one the more toned down ships lol! We sailed on her back in 1999 and again last August, I was surprised what great shape she was in. Great itinerary with Cabo. Which is one of my favorite places. You mentioned Ensenada being really polluted and smoggy:confused: That's a first lol!

Since their main industry is fishing and wine making. Never encountered smog before. Maybe it was fog or haze from a fire? We have been to Ensenada many many times and still get off the ship in port. Really great authentic mexican food and cheap beer:D

Thanks for your review!

Glad you had a great time! You mentioned this was your first time on Carnival....I had to laugh when you mentioned how gawdy the decor was on the Elation:D Since the Elation is pretty much one the more toned down ships lol! We sailed on her back in 1999 and again last August, I was surprised what great shape she was in. Great itinerary with Cabo. Which is one of my favorite places. You mentioned Ensenada being really polluted and smoggy:confused: That's a first lol!

Since their main industry is fishing and wine making. Never encountered smog before. Maybe it was fog or haze from a fire? We have been to Ensenada many many times and still get off the ship in port. Really great authentic mexican food and cheap beer:D

Thanks for your review!

Regarding smog, it was really hazy. I could post pix if I figure out how.

I kept waiting for it to disipate but it never did. Again, friends and others loved it, so I missed out. As long as I'm on board, how can one not have fun!!

Archived