Help-Transderm Scop Overdose!!

corsies

I am one of those people that the patch works great for. I have no adverse reactions and no sea sickness. I have been on seven cruises and the first five I used Meclazine and was always tired from them. I started using the patch on an 11 day cruise. I used one patch for three days and then a new one, switching to the other side. I had no problems at all. First time I did not suffer from sea sick feelings. I also used one patch for a 4 day cruise this month and had no problems at all. I personally will never cruise without them. I guess it does vary between people. My husband uses them also and sometimes he feels a little sick at the end of the cruise. I can't explain that. One thing I did on the long cruise was just wore the patch after the cruise til it about fell off. I think I was weaning my system off of it. Too bad they don't work for everyone, it's nice to enjoy the cruise and not worry about he rocking and swaying that makes you nauseous.

Absolutely, my friend had the same reaction. I am a nurse and noticed her reactions the second day of the cruise and she stopped it. Scopalamine is a very strong drug and not one to be used lightly or used on children. Please always check with your physician first.

Hi all, just wanted to chime in here as a pharmacist. As has been mentioned already, these patches should NOT be cut to "lower" the dosage. In fact you will ruin the release mechanism of the patch causing a bolus dose (large single dose) to be absorbed. This may or may not cause a problem depending on the patient (i.e. size, concurrent medications, sensitivity, etc.). However, there is a big risk of this bolus dose causing severe side effects or scopalamine toxicity. At the very least, the cut patch certainly wont deliver the controlled drug release and steady state blood levels that it is designed to provide.

Archived