Just off RCCI with 2 yr old, 11 month old and a 13 yr old - any questions??

NoelsCat

I will be on Grandeur this summer with my 1yo daughter and 11 &13yo sons. We have cruied with the boys befor, but not until they were 5 & 7. Were you able to get whole milk on baord? What type of cabin arrangement did you have? Did you bring your own pack and play? Did you bring a blow up bath or pool? Did you use a stroller or baby carrier? What would you have brought that you did not have? Any tips for me would be appreciated!

I Were you able to get whole milk on baord?

Yes, we were able to get whole milk in the dining room and via room service. However, a couple of times with room service there was a language barrier and we ended up with lowfat milk instead. We also brought Horizon Organic milk boxes onboard. They do not require refrigeration -- so we just put one or two in our mini fridge as needed and had milk whenever we needed. This was very convenient for going ashore, too.

The 11-month old in our group was still on formula. They brought the powdered kind and mixed bottles as needed.

What type of cabin arrangement did you have?

We had d1 balcony cabins -- all with 4 occupancy. All the rooms had a queen sized bed, a sofa bed and a pullman.

Did you bring your own pack and play?

We didn't use a pack and play with our two year old. He either slept with us or on the couch (with pillows lining against the floor. The 11-month old used the ship's pack and play. It was a simple blue graco one -- looked clean and well-cared for.

Did you bring a blow up bath or pool? Did you use a stroller or baby carrier?

Yes, I did bring a blow up pool. It worked well -- but I found that I didn't really need it. Our itinerary was pretty port intensive - so we were able to take the babies swimming everyday. Also, my son was able to use the shower just fine (it was hand-held) --- so as far as I see, the blow up pool is a YMMV type of thing.

I brought a McCleren stroller for my 2 yr old and they brought a full-sized peg perego for their 11 month old. In their defense, it wasn't huge -- but I thought it was too big. It felt kind of rude on the elevators when they took up the whole thing -- and they used it EVERYWHERE -- even just to go places on the ship. We only used ours for some excursions (long walking ones or for shopping) -- and I was glad we brought it. We also used it to transport our huge britax carseat through the airport -- which we always do -- and then gatechecked both items.

IMHO, I think with the 11-month old they would have done well to bring a carrier (like a ergo or a mei tei) -- I only wish I still had the option with my 36 lb son!

What would you have brought that you did not have? Any tips for me would be appreciated.

First, I will start with odd things that we took that I am glad that brought:

* UV protectant swim wear with built-in floaters.

* boats and sand toys

* neat sheet

* baby powder (to remove sand at the beach only)

* UV protectant hat

* TONS of toys/books and a fold up hamper to use as toy box

* straw cups

* DVD PLAYER!!!!

Things I wish I had brought:

* A ticket for a back-to-back cruise!

* my video baby monitor (I was paranoid on the balcony that I wouldn't hear him wake up)

Our friends with the 11 month old didn't bring any toys. That was obviously a mistake. I think they wished they had thought of that...

HTH!!

I brought a McCleren stroller for my 2 yr old and they brought a full-sized peg perego for their 11 month old. In their defense, it wasn't huge -- but I thought it was too big. It felt kind of rude on the elevators when they took up the whole thing -- and they used it EVERYWHERE -- even just to go places on the ship. We only used ours for some excursions (long walking ones or for shopping) -- and I was glad we brought it

HTH!!

Interesting....The Peg is our smallest stroller. We were considering bringing our jog stroller. DS is 2.25 and would only be riding on excursions and maybe if DH went jogging on the ship.

Any other stroller thoughts you could offer would be appreciated.

Interesting....The Peg is our smallest stroller. We were considering bringing our jog stroller. DS is 2.25 and would only be riding on excursions and maybe if DH went jogging on the ship.

Any other stroller thoughts you could offer would be appreciated.

Well, first off, our friends used the stroller constantly -- everywhere around the ship. They even brought it into the dining room. --- so, that is why I thought it was a little big. To be sure, no one said anything -- but I did feel that it took up a lot of room in the elevators. It would have been fine on excursions and such -- I just didn't see the need around the ship. Of course, every parent is different. It was nice that it had a large basket.

We travel a lot and I prefer my tiny little MacClaren. It's a high-quality umbrella type that takes up VERY little room both folded and open. However, we do a lot of city trips on and off buses and subways ... so these things are more important to us. We have a bigger stroller for home.

I wouldn't buy a new stroller just for the cruise. :)

You are so welcome.

Can you believe that I took the video monitor out of our bags before we left. Talk about a stupid method of saving space.

I really regretted not having it. I am a little overprotective and felt worried everytime I was on the balcony while he was sleeping.

were you able to eat at the maing dining room for breakfast or dinner? My son is 16 months old and i'm planning on taking either RCCL or Carnival for a quick getaway. Do they allow babies this age at the main dining room? TIA.

We ate in the main dining room for every dinner and for one breakfast. We just prefered the windjammer (buffet) for lunch -- or we would have used the dining room then, too.

They definately "allow" babies in the dining room. I would have exited, however, if either baby was fussy or disruptive.

We also have a Britax car seat and are cruising in 2 months on NCL with DS who will be 13 months old. You mentioned you gatechecked it, how did the young ones do on the plane? Did you use the car seat on excursions at all and what did you do with it?

Also, for those of you who don't want to bring your big strollers, I bought the Baby Trend Trendsport Lite stroller for the trip and I'm sure I'll use it many times afterwards. It wasn't expensive and much better than the large stroller we have at home. It's better than a regular umbrella stroller because it has a drink tray and basket underneath.

I'm sure I'll think of other questions as we just booked a few days ago!

Thank you very much. I thought we'd have to eat at the windjammer all the time.I always had the late seating dinner on my previous cruises when I didn't have my baby yet and never really saw many kids in the dining room(I guess, I just didn't really paid enough attention back then on things like that). It make more sense to me too that parents with young kids go to early dinner instead. Thanks again.

We also have a Britax car seat and are cruising in 2 months on NCL with DS who will be 13 months old. You mentioned you gatechecked it, how did the young ones do on the plane? Did you use the car seat on excursions at all and what did you do with it?

We have been traveling with our britax since my son was about 9 months and outgrew his baby bucket. We fly a lot, and at first we always used the car seat on the plane. It is recommended -- it is probably safer and we always bought a seat for my son anyhow -- so it wasn't a big issue.

Things to keep in mind about using the carseat on the plane:

* you have to buy a seat for your child or hope for an empty seat. I have rarely been on a plane with a lot of empty seats in the past two years.

* it has to be installed in the window position. FAA regulations require it not block the exit of a row. This kind of sucks as it's easier if the baby is in the middle of us.

* the seat in front cannot recline (most of the time) -- and if you install forward facing it is almost impossible for baby not to kick the seat in front of them.

* with our britax, it makes the tray table non-usable.

After several flights using the car seat we decided to gate check once and have not gone back. It gives everyone a lot more room -- gives my son space to play and enables me to hold him while he sleeps. I did buy the HUGS harness -- but I ended up hating that thing so I am sure I may get some flack for this --

My son has always done wonderfully on our flights (our longest being 7 hours) -- and I credit that to his good disposition, lack of ear problems and our ardent planning. We bring lots and lots of things for him to do --- playdough, trains, crayons, markers, stickers, window clings, snacks, drinks, and a DVD PLAYER. By the way, did I mention the DVD PLAYER????????? :)

I have done a lot of worrying about flights -- and though it is more work with a baby/toddler -- it is NEVER as horrible or difficult as I imagined or feared.

Since we stopped using it (carseat) during the flight, we simply gatecheck our stroller and carseat. I use the Maclaren to hold the carseat through the airport, ask for gatecheck tags at the gate, wheel it down the ramp and pick it back up at the door at the end of our flight. I always install it at our destination in our rental cars, cabs, and small shuttles -- never in bus type vehicles simply because it isn't possible. I like having my own seat -- that I know hasn't been in an accident and how to install correctly.

The cruise presented special circumstances because not all taxis in port had seat belts and I didn't know what to do with it while say, at the beach. In Cozumel we took a 7 minute cab ride to Chankanaub marine park without a seat -- there simply were no seat belts in the cab. There were lockers there -- so the seat could have possibly been stored in one. In Playa Del Carmen, I specifically rented a vehicle to go to Akumal -- so that I could install the seat and have a place to store it while on the beach. In Belize it was a direct tender -- so there was no need for a seat. Key West was a walking port.

Anyhow, I hope that my answers help somewhat. If I missed something just let me know!

I'll be on the Caribbean princess in July and my DD will be 11 months then, i live close enough to the pier to drive. I have a big stroller, the one that comes with the travel system (chicco) do you think i need to get a umbrella stroller for the cruise.

Thanks so much for your thorough reply. Quick question... how old was your son when you stopped using the carseat on the plane? Did he have his own seat or are you required to use a carseat if they have their own seat under a certain age? Thanks so much, as you can tell I am worried about his first flight!

Thanks so much for your thorough reply. Quick question... how old was your son when you stopped using the carseat on the plane?

I was so worried too -- we started when my son was about 5 months old and he has over 20 flights under his belt now! LOL. He has enough of his own miles for a free flight.

Even now, I still sort of fret about flights - especially long ones. So, you are not alone. If it helps, I have never ever had a bad flight with my son. Some have been more work than others -- but I have never had the screaming child with people giving me rude comments and stares. :)

We stopped using ours at around 10/11 months. It happened quite by accident when he fell asleep in my arms boarding and the steward offering to "gatecheck" the seat. Oh, it was wonderful -- and other than trying the hugs thingy, we haven't gone back.

Did he have his own seat or are you required to use a carseat if they have their own seat under a certain age?

Most of the time, we have bought a seat for my son. I prefer it that way. The only exceptions were before he was two and it was a two seat row. We have never been required to use our car seat.

Good luck for your baby's first flight. Hopefully you are starting a lifetime love of traveling. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting all this helpful info! What did you do with your Britax carseat on the cruise ship? I'm sailing Celebrity in May, the week before my son turns one. I hadn't intended to bring the carseat on board with us because of storage issues, but logistically, it would be better if I could. Any advice?

I brought our Britax and stored it in the cabin closet. It wasn't too bad -- it did lessen some of our floor space -- but we had more than enough room for the three of us. I am a car seat fanatic -- I take it everywhere -- so YMMV.

I bought a car seat bag from Target for 13.99 that worked great for gate checking -- we left the seat in the bag and handed it off to the porters (with one of the luggage tags on the handle) at the pier. It was delivered with our luggage to our room. At 13 bucks, it was a very cheap way to protect the Britax and transport it.

Oh, and by the way, the our britax fits PERFECTLY in our Maclaren to transport through the airport, etc!

510pQ4YLf0L._SS384_.jpg

HTH!!

Just wondering what ship you were on?

We are going on the Freedom of the Sea with a 9 month old, 20 month old, 3 year old, and 6 year old (our kids and my sisters kids)

would taking a double stroller be crazy? I always feel they are so bulky, but for port stops I think it would be better.

OR... I can take a small umbrella stroller and a back pack.

I don't know what the best way to keep my little ones safe (the 20 month old and the 3 year old are mine) but having the double for the 2 little ones might be good. Please help me try to figure out what will be best.

THANKS!!!

Just wondering what ship you were on?

We were on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Sea. :)

We are going on the Freedom of the Sea with a 9 month old, 20 month old, 3 year old, and 6 year old (our kids and my sisters kids)would taking a double stroller be crazy? I always feel they are so bulky, but for port stops I think it would be better.

First off, you picked a great ship with little ones!

As far as the double stroller is concerned -- I personally think that would be kind of cumbersome. Especially if it were a side-by-side kind -- I can't imagine that would fit well down cabin corridors on the ship. I know when the cleaning carts are out, that it can be tight even with a regular sized stroller. Also, you would have the storage issue. I don't have a double stroller -- but I imagine they are at least as large folded as a normal full-sized -- and that would take a lot of room in your cabin closet. Of course, if you have a balcony, you could store it out there...

If it were me, I would take two compact (umbrella) stroller for the 20-month old and the 9-month old. Then, if your three year old gets tired you can carry one of the babies and let her/him ride. It sounds like you will have plenty of adults to help manage the kids.

OR... I can take a small umbrella stroller and a back pack. I don't know what the best way to keep my little ones safe (the 20 month old and the 3 year old are mine) but having the double for the 2 little ones might be good. Please help me try to figure out what will be best.

THANKS!!!

I loved our backpack when my son was younger -- so that definately is another option.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!

We will be cruising soon with all 5 of our children, one which is 16 months old. She is potty trained except at night we put pull up or diaper on her just in case. I was considering bringing a small potty chair or one of those soft mini toilet seats because she has never used a regular sized toilet. Do you think this is acceptable or will I have a problem. Also, will she be allowed in the pool considering she doesn't wear diapers or pull ups in the day time. I don't want to create a problem but in my opinion it should be okay. But it is only my opinion.

We will be cruising for the first time in about 5 weeks on the Royal Caribbean Navigator. My generous parents are treating us for their 40th anniversary...seems like it should be the other way around but we'll take the free trip. Their travel agent has made all the arrangements and was told that we'd like something that was kid friendly for a 2 1/2 year old. She guaranteed us that there is so much for kids to do. However, now that I have been checking out the RC website I am concerned that she wasn't aware of the age restrictions for all the kid things and that we are going to be disappointed-no water activites and only AquaTots for for up to three year olds. Granted, she loves Fisher Price Little People but I was expecting activities a little different than the toys she plays with every day at home.

Now don't get me wrong, my husband and I are not of the philosophy that everything should be geared to our child. We are fortunate because she is a great traveler, super in restaurants and usually easily entertained...but I am still worried. So, can anyone provide some insight as to what types of things will be fun for the under three and not potty trained to do with mommy and daddy (or grandma and grandpa)?

Thanks so much!

Archived