Engagement Ring???

Bongo

Hi,

I know St. Maarten is supposed to be a great place to buy jewelry. Do any of you have experiences buying engagement rings there? Any particular shop you'd recommend? I'm cruising on the Glory in November and it's right around the time that I was planning on buying the ring, so I figured I'd ask to see if others would recommend getting it here instead of the states.

Thanks!

We lived on St. Maarten's sister island, Saba, for a couple of years, so shopping there was a regular event. The main drag (Front St) is lined with shops. For jewelry, my favourites are Boolchand's (who also sell electronics) and the smaller AMA (nearby, other side of street, in an arcade).

And don't forget: the price, which will seem good, is not the price. Bargaining is the name of the game. And the prices get better even faster if you buy more than one piece! ;)

So have fun!

For jewelry, my favourites are Boolchand's (who also sell electronics) and the smaller AMA (nearby, other side of street, in an arcade).

Clasina; Do you know if AMA has reopened on Front Street after the horrible Holland House/AMA fire last October?

It appears than many people don't click through to the older thread, so I'm reposting my comments here:

... have to put in a shout for our favorite shop; Shiva/Trident on Front Street, (and also in Aruba), who have the distinction of being one of only two Caribbean members of the Leading Jewelers of the World organization.

There is one member in St. Thomas, Magnum Jewelers, and then the Alwani Family's Shiva's/Trident stores in St. Maarten and Aruba.

All regular SXM visitors will have their favorite jewelers.

We've been visiting St. Maarten since 1981, and dealing with the Alwani family, which owns both Shiva's and Trident, across from each other on Front Street, for nearly 14 years. We really appreciate their attention, the selection and the great prices. They really specialize in upscale pieces and larger diamonds, but have a great overall selection.

Your best tool is education. Learn about diamonds and other jewels for what makes a quality stone or setting. Run down to your local jeweler before you leave and look at the items that you may be interested in buying. Learn all that you can about the pieces. Check what their price is with the 50% off and the "we pay the sales tax" sales. Remember, no sales tax down island -- that by itself would save well over $100 on a $1500 purchase here in California.

When you get to SXM, visit the shops and price the items you checked out at home. Compare prices along Front Street, the service from the various shops, and how comfortable you feel with the sales staff.

For us this means buying from Shiva's or Trident. If you go, be sure to ask for Gary and Mary Ann's special discount. Work with any of their crew, but ask if Ajay, Varkha or Raj are available for special treatment.

Also, we often work with Shiva's via e-mail to purchase jewelry for friends here. In the past several years we've facilitated several rings, several diamond tennis bracelets, a couple of diamond pendants and numerous sets of earrings.

When I was there last month, I thought I saw the AMA sign at the arcade. The fire was on the other side of HH. BTW, what an improvement it is to have that old derelict building gone.

I say I thought I saw the AMA sign, but then again, I was trying to avert disaster, avoiding piles of sand and gravel and bricks and pipes and holes and rumbling beep-beeping backhoes while my mother gasped "Ohmigod, it's so hot I think I'm going to die..." What a mess Front Street is! They are talking about a December finish, but the cabbies I talked to were skeptical.

My mother is still very much alive. ;)

C.

When I was there last month, I thought I saw the AMA sign at the arcade. The fire was on the other side of HH. BTW, what an improvement it is to have that old derelict building gone.

Clasina;

The fire originated at the Sint Maarten Beach Club site, but radio news and the Daily Herald reported that AMA and Gemsland were destroyed. The fire was on a Thursday morning, and we came home on Saturday without having a chance to go by and see the damage.

Hmmmm, gtaylor, I've just looked AMA up and it appears they have 4 locations on Front St. -- 24, 35, 43 and 49. Haven't a clue which is which, but one appears to be in the Horizon View hotel.

In any case, my experience with them has been really positive, although most of my purchases were made at their shop in the airport.

So tell, how do you get to be so lucky as to spend so much time on The Friendly Island? :p

Clasina

• 1 month later...

Definitely go to J Best Jewler located at 2 Front Street / Shop #3. We have been buying from him for years at his store in St. Thomas, and have been extremely satisfied with his pricing and service....(Not a pushy guy!!) I won't let my wife buy jewelry anywhere else, including here in the states. He owns the place, which I feel helps greatly in the pricing! Call him in advance toll free at 877-547-2378 and let him know what your looking for ... then, he will have some choices ready for you when you get there. Tell him Kim and Steve say hello, too! ..... By the way, when will you be in St. Martin? We are planning on being there Nov. 8-17 ....

give us an email: STEVE007007007007@yahoo.com

Good Luck and Congratulations!

Archived