Upper or Middle Keys- Snorkeling

CruisinCoach

Is there any decent snorkeling near shore, or is it only several miles out, requiring a boat? I am renting a car and have a little bit of time to spend before heading to the airport, but I don't think I'll have the time to take any of the snorkeling tours. I was planning on driving down to the keys and was hoping I could just stop and jump in somewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Pennekamp Sate Park in Key Largo has a beach area you where you can snorkel. There is a deep hole that is an easy swim from shore that holds alot of fish. On my last trip there; we saw alot of snapper, some parrot fish, barracuda and a couple of french angels. You won't see any coral formations here; those are offshore and require a boat trip.

Is there any decent snorkeling near shore, or is it only several miles out, requiring a boat? I am renting a car and have a little bit of time to spend before heading to the airport, but I don't think I'll have the time to take any of the snorkeling tours. I was planning on driving down to the keys and was hoping I could just stop and jump in somewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

At many points along the roadway you will see huge boulders shoring up the road it is often 10' to 12' deep right off the side of the road I have snorkelled many locations along u.s. 1 (back in the day )pre-boat. Do not get to close to the bridges when the tide is running the current is tremendous. Don't forget a flag and lobster stamp if interested in the longusta the season ends March 31st. Also if you prefer parks Bahia Honda has a snorkel area where you can swim out over hard bottom.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Pennekamp has a snorkling trip at noon, so if I happen to get off the ship early enough, maybe I can make it. Bahia Honda looks nice, but seems a bit too far. I don't think I'll have enough time to get down that far, but we'll see. Thanks again.

Archived