Book excursions thru Carnival or on your own?

curlymama

Hi! I'll be on the Carnival Valor on March 30 (my very 1st cruise). I was wondering if I should book my port excursions through Carnival, or if I should try to do them on my own. I've read many people say that after doing it the first time through the cruise line, they always go on their own after that because they have a better time and it's less expensive. Any thoughts?

I always booked through Carnival until I found this website. Now I book independently.

There are pros and cons to both.

For me, I like to book my own because I get a better experience for less money.

Those that advocate only booking through Carnival say that the ship won't wait for you if you're late. This is true. But....the independent vendors are very well aware of the ships schedules. I have yet to get back late. They are running a business and would not be in business long if they got a reputation for stranding passengers.

Check out the POC boards for some really good vendors for your ports. I've done the western on Valor and loved it!!

I'm sure you will get responses both ways, but our preference after 38 cruises is to book through Carnival. You can save some money by booking through a private tour but my thought is if you are spending a $1000+ for a cruise,a few extra dollars is not enough to risk being left on shore. If a Ship's tour is late getting back the ship will wait for you. On a private tour,if for some unforseen reason they are late, you might get left. We saw 3 couples get left in Cozumel because their taxi had a flat tire and was late arriving back at the ship. Whatever you decide, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

Your going to have so much fun on your first cruise. I wish I'd known about these boards on our first cruise. We've been on 6 since. You'll be hooked.

We prefer to go it alone. Example: Last year we took the kids, 2 teen boys, and my brother and his family went also. We did book one excursion through the ship. To assure we were all together. The ship was docked by 7:00 am and people were departing. We had to meet in a lounge at 9:30 for a briefing which took 15 min. Then proceeded off the ship to wait in line like cattle for an hour. Our excursion departed at 11:30. I look at it as we lost valuable hours waiting. The excursion was alot of fun though.

One year we went in a cab to see the ruins in Belize. We spent 1 1/2 hours at the ruins. Had a great time. On our way back we passed the bus taking the cruise ship passengers out to the ruins. We also got the city tour and saved a substancial amount of money. Also stopped off to buy some local items while he waited. Love buying island spices and hot sauces etc.

Happy Cruising.

POC = Port of Call

IMHO, I think you will have a better chance of getting to do what you and your traveling companions want to do/experience if you book on your own. There are so many additional choices over and above what the cruise lines offer.

I think it is fun to mix it up. I am taking an excursion through Carnival from St. Thomas to St. John on a catamaran....decided that was worth it. But am doing my own thing in the Bahamas and then booked an independent on St. Maarten. So I suppose it is what you feel comfortable with. Just read read read -

I had a post Triumph excursion booked thru Carnival at the pursers desk while at sea. The excursion was a diaster with broken down equipment. I called Carnival while on the excursion.........they were very quick to say that they only recommend excursions and were not responsible for any issues that arise. Because I was in Miami and still had a few hours until my flight I wasn't as worried. I called the company that picked us up when we flew in and they sent out a vehicle to get us to the airport.

It took MONTHS of phone conversations between myself, Carnival and the tour opperator to come to an agreement. Both sides agreed there were big issues, but neither side felt they should reimburse the original excursion. I wasn't even asking for what I had to pay to make sure we got to the airport.

After months Carnival stepped up and gave me an OBC for the excursion price paid for each person. I in turn booked another cruise and 2 more since.

Although I'm not happy this happened and am real glad it happened in the US.............I still research and use a reputable private tour.

Are there any excursions that anyone would highly recommend, or any that you would say to stay away from?

My recommendations:

Grand Cayman....Ray's, Reef and Rum Point

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tour_details.htm#Rays,%20Reef%20and%20Rum%20Point

Cozumel...Lots to do here. Plenty of beaches. If you want to go to Tulum, I would book through Carnival only because it is so far away.

Belize....cave tubing http://www.cave-tubing.com/

Roatan....We ziplined here before. In May, we're doing this one

http://www.finsandflippers.com/en/index.html

Have fun planning!!!

GC we had a stingray excursion booked....missed it due to a Long Island induce sleep in.........took a cab to a beach and made our own day of it, the wife snorkeled I rented a jet skii.

Coz.....cab to paradise beach, nice beach and restaurant for a great price.......cab, full beach day and a meal for $30-35/person

Belize..............Cave-tubing.com is AWESOME!!! Yhony, the company owner, actually had me wait off at the end to make sure everything was as expected to our liking. He wanted to make sure I'd have a good report back at Cruise Critic........I'm not kidding!!

We have only been on two cruises but did all of our own booking upon recommendations from this board and haven't had a bad experience yet!

Cavetubing.com in Belize was one of the best! We will go back there on a future cruise just for that excursion!

Cavetubing.com in Belize was one of the best! We will go back there on a future cruise just for that excursion!

I want to take my boys on the Legend for that very reason....If I wasn't booked for a huge reunion cruise this year.....we'd be there!!! I think these ports are great for kids (we went to Costa before the hurricane)

We used Captain Marvin for stingray tour. Only about 9 of us on a nice boat. Booked on-line based on CC recommendations. Had a great time. Just keep in mind that Grand Cayman on a different time (1 hr. before EST I believe) so be aware when choosing a tour. The rep. from Captain Marvin was great though in being sure we picked a tour that would work with our ship times.

I'm sure you will get responses both ways, but our preference after 38 cruises is to book through Carnival. You can save some money by booking through a private tour but my thought is if you are spending a $1000+ for a cruise,a few extra dollars is not enough to risk being left on shore. If a Ship's tour is late getting back the ship will wait for you. On a private tour,if for some unforseen reason they are late, you might get left. We saw 3 couples get left in Cozumel because their taxi had a flat tire and was late arriving back at the ship. Whatever you decide, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

Are you sure that was in Cozumel? They had to be cutting their return time very very close and still if the first taxi had a flat, there is another one right behind it.

I would say Cozumel is the best place to do your own excursion. Just stay on the island and you could almost walk and still make the ship. Taxis everywhere. Now if you are wanting to leave the island, then I would recommend the ship excursion.

I've always booked my excursions independently and have had great times on all. Just got back from the best one I've ever done on any vacation (land or cruise) and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Danilo Hall in Costa Rica.

I also did the Valor in Nov of 2006. We used:

Native Way in Cayman (Hell, turtle farm, Stingray City)

Cave-tubing.com in Belize

Did something in Roatan which we're no longer allowed to discuss on the boards. The "old timers" will know what I'm talking about.

Costa Maya - taxi to the beach.

I also just returned from Belize again on the Miracle and used Coral Breeze for a snorkeling excursion. Also very, very good.

Just research the heck out of everything, and ask questions. Some places will have back up vehicles if something goes wrong or will put you on a high speed boat back to the ship if for some reason you miss the ship. As others have posted, their repuations are on the line, and they know when they need to get you back.

I like to save my money so that I can go on more cruises!

I can only make a recommendation for Grand Cayman but I second the Rays, Reef and Rumpoint through Native Ways http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/ I see someone already mentioned it but there is a time change in GC.

The money savings is only a small part of the reason we always book independently. Convenience and customization are the two most important. Since we don't have to board a bus and wait on 45 other people, we generally cover a lot more ground in the same amount of time.

In Cozumel, you might also want to check out Playa Uvas. Paradise Beach is nice but gets crowded and has quite a few kids. If you have kids in your group, I highly recommend it but if not, check out Uvas.

We went to Paradise Beach last time we were in Cozumel. I wasn't all that impressed with it but, lots of people swear by it. Don't get me wrong...it was a nice beach, nice bar and the employees were nice. I just didn't think it was all that.

Next time we're going to Nachi Cocom. It's all-inclusive and lots of people like it. I'll find out in May!!!

Here's the link: http://www.cozumelnachicocom.net/e_index.html

I agree with LRene. Money is a very small part of why I book independently.

In Barbados we booked a private excursion. Paid about $90pp. There were only about 12 of us. We swam with sea turtles, snorkeled, had a fabulous lunch and open bar. While we were snorkeling, the Carnival excursion came by.....a triple-decker boat, people crammed in. And they paid lots more than us without the food, bar and personal service.

Same thing with the sting rays in GC. When the Carnival excursions show up.....they are all packed in like sardines. I don't see how everyone gets an opportunity to play with the rays.

Some people might try to scare you away from booking independently in places like Belize and Jamaica. I've done both and never had a problem and never saw a problem. Not saying it can't happen.....but you have to use your common sense.

Just do your research and enjoy your cruise!!!

We used Captain Marvin for stingray tour. Only about 9 of us on a nice boat. Booked on-line based on CC recommendations. Had a great time. Just keep in mind that Grand Cayman on a different time (1 hr. before EST I believe) so be aware when choosing a tour. The rep. from Captain Marvin was great though in being sure we picked a tour that would work with our ship times.

We also used Captain Marvin when we went to Grand Cayman. It was a fantastic trip. There were only nine of us on the boat and we were able to snorkle three different areas in less time than the ship excursion was able to complete one. We also saved over $100 for four of us.

A funny story...I booked the excursion online. The next day, I got an e-mail telling me that I had booked the wrong date for the ship we were on. The rep at Capt. Marvin knew which ship came in on which day and for how long.

These private companies rely on word of mouth recommendations. All they need is one bad story on a CC thread and their businesses are history. (I know they read this site...I asked them myself.)

Archived