Which nights are these dresses suitable for?

LadyPink

Hi there!

I am a newbie here and never been on a ship/liner before.

We are going on the QM2 back to back transatlantic crossing for our Honeymoon on the 4th of may.

I have attatched a few pictures of dresses i have bought so far as well as a cute faux fur mink bolero.

I will post again to show you the dresses i am about to purchase as it will only let me attatch 4 pictures at a time.

I don't know what to expect. Are these dresses suitable and for which nights?

I am in my 20's so please bear that in mind.

Thank you in advance. :D

01D01CBLK_switch2_normal.jpg.2b990f339fb8afe86922c43b48256e36.jpg

01J01CNEU_switch3_normal.jpg.41ab86adfb1be239cf344dc9a6937358.jpg

7492_1_b.jpg.3bc021038aa985d13bd2e9fbad59a485.jpg

b1ea_12.jpg.d7f2d8884400fde09e42b36489f21249.jpg

Here as promised are the ones that i will be buying in the next week or so...

I am about 5"8 and a big girl with waist length dark hair, green eyes, olive skin if that helps? I also hate my legs hence the full length gowns! :o

1d55_1.jpg.6e2b56116a47b4e4798010ce35cc5e07.jpg

c589_1_b.jpg.8e0169771c96c82bb9d4077aeae02e78.jpg

cc0e_1_b.jpg.e45abf76c9e56512baac26df9415af8e.jpg

LadyPink, congratulations and what a great choice for a honeymoon!

I can see you are excited about your trip but from a practical standpoint those gowns are all fairly bulky to pack.

I have not yet sailed on Cunard but am familiar with their product. IMO, you do not need quite so many ball gowns. The black and white is perfect for the black and white ball and there will also be one other formal evening on a TA crossing. Perhaps an elegant pantsuit or two would be a good investment and also come in handy for future occasions. If you hate your legs you can also look for a tea length cocktail dress or separates that you can mix and match.

I will be interested to hear the responses of other ladies who have been on a TA crossing.

I am sooooo envious... to be twenty, to be wearing these beautiful gowns, newly married and doing a transatlantic on the Cunard line!!!A dream come true! Unless I'm wrong it's 6 days to New York and 6 days back to Southampton. That should be 4 formals. I agree with Caviargirl 6 such highly formal gowns will be very difficult to transport to the ship and store on board.It will be very difficult to eliminate any of those dresses....but I would definitely take the black and white (just so elegant)and for someone only twenty the pink vision! Pants suit is a great idea also a little bolero or shrug to change up the pink dress for a second formal.

I'm 23, will be 24 in April.

Thank you for taking the time to reply ladies! :D

Packing isn't an issue, unlimited luggage and all that. I am buying special dress carriers from my wedding dress shop to carry them in.

I just don't want to look out of place and embarrass myself, that's the main concern.

Glad you like them. I can't wait to go now!

x

Well then!!! You are the Belle Of The Ball!! Buy four for four formal nights and

have the time of your life!!:p

Numbering them from 1-7 I vote for #1 and #7 (both look like 24 yr old fun

dresses) and #3, and #5 for a grown up elegant look.

It is really up to you, but I would buy two and wear them twice. I would spend the rest of the money on buying other types of cute sundresses. I would choose dresses that would be similar to what I would wear on a date, or to a day time shower at a nice hotel. I just don't think people will be that dressed up on nights that aren't formal. Additionally, only the other people that are doing back to back will see you recycle your dresses.

It is really up to you, but I would buy two and wear them twice. I would spend the rest of the money on buying other types of cute sundresses. I would choose dresses that would be similar to what I would wear on a date, or to a day time shower at a nice hotel. I just don't think people will be that dressed up on nights that aren't formal. Additionally, only the other people that are doing back to back will see you recycle your dresses.

A TA on Cunard is quite formal and elegant. Sundresses and "shower" type dresses would not be appropriate unless one is comfortable being underdressed.

Here as promised are the ones that i will be buying in the next week or so...

I am about 5"8 and a big girl with waist length dark hair, green eyes, olive skin if that helps? I also hate my legs hence the full length gowns! :o

Very nice! If ever there was a time to wear gowns like these, it's on a transatlantic on a Cunarder. :) I really like the little bolero, too...so ocean liner-ish.

There are at least 3 formal nights each way, so that's 6. The informal/semi-formal nights are more cocktail dress, but I have seen long dresses on those, too. How lucky you are that you don't have to worry about the suitcases and found so many lovely dresses. And I can't think of a better honeymoon!

BTW, have you joined the Roll Calls for these voyages? It would mean more friends to share your time and celebrate your wedding with. Enjoy!

Oh my gosh they are beautiful. Where did you get all those? If packing is no problem and you have four nights, I would say the four puffy dresses. The pink, black, and two red ones. Hope I got the colors right. My daughter wore a pink poofy one similiar to yours for her junior prom and it was beautiful.

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there!

I am a newbie here and never been on a ship/liner before.

We are going on the QM2 back to back transatlantic crossing for our Honeymoon on the 4th of may.

I have attatched a few pictures of dresses i have bought so far as well as a cute faux fur mink bolero.

I will post again to show you the dresses i am about to purchase as it will only let me attatch 4 pictures at a time.

I don't know what to expect. Are these dresses suitable and for which nights?

I am in my 20's so please bear that in mind.

Thank you in advance. :D

I'm 28 years old and would LOVE to go on a Cunard Transatlantic (b2b is even better!!!).

Since you already own the 3 first dresses, bring them along, they are very, very nice. You don't have to buy a fourth one, you could re-wear one of them on the second cruise (changing the wrap if you want to make a change. I think the black and white gown would go well with a black and a white shawl, giving it a different look each time).

If you really want 4 different dresses, my favorite of your second post is the first red. The other red is just too similar to the black and white one and I'm not sure the pink one would go well with your olive tone skin (JMHO).

Have a good time!

I have been on the QM2, and yes the ship is quite formal. The black and white one is perfect for the ball. Many of the ladies will be in black/white on this evening.

Another consideration... The gowns you picked are very full and sitting at dinner for a few hours in a very full gown is .....well interesting, I say this from experience! I would say pick a few of your favs, but also consider another type of full length gown for comfort of the evening.

We have traveled on the QM2 - TA and I don't think you can ever be overdressed! The black and white ball will be fun in that dress and don't forget to bring gorgeous hat to go with one of your dresses for the night of the ascot ball!!

Also, don't forget that a majority of the passengers will be from the UK, and we -- the Americans -- are the minority:o

LadyPink,

Sounds like a dream honeymoon and all the dresses you have selected are just beautiful. I hope to sail on Cunard one day--it sounds so elegant!! I would love wearing a ball gown.

I have only sailed RCCL and Celebrity, always in a balcony cabin. I don't know about Cunard but I don't think the closets I have seen would hold even 1 of those dresses--do they have bigger closets on Cunard?

Have a marvelous time!!

I've only sailed a short cruise on QM2 and happily it was far dressier than any ship I've ever sailed.

That said, on formal nights you will not be overdressed, but are there really 4 formal nights out of a 6 night crossing? I think I'd check it out carefully and pack less formal gowns for casual nights. We found casual to be more cocktail dresses and nice pants suits for the ladies, sportscoats with or without ties for the men.

I have to agree with caviargal on this issue. These gowns will be bulky to pack and difficult to store once onboard unless you are in a suite. Standard cabin closets are about the size of a coat closet and since it is your honeymoon, you will definitely have to share the closet space with your new husband, plus have space for your daytime clothing. Regardless of your thought to not have to consider luggage weight or number of pieces, there could also be times when the two of you have to manage your bags on your own. I'm not saying don't do it, just consider these issues before finalizing your packing list and purchases.

That said, on formal nights you will not be overdressed, but are there really 4 formal nights out of a 6 night crossing?.

They're going on a b2b but your point about storage space and the possibility of having to manage all their bags on their own was what I was wondering about also.

The only point where we have to load them ourselves will be putting them in and out of our car. The wardrobe space is an issue? I didn't realise, thank you for the tip.

Yes we are going on a back to back crossing. 6 nights there, 6 nights back.

There are three Formal nights on QM2's TA, with one Semi-Formal and two Elegant Casual nights as well. If you follow previous advice posted here on wearing the same dress twice you'll look absolutely fabulous with your latest purchases. You'll only need to get one cocktail-type dress for the Semi-Formal night--this could be palazzo-type (wide leg at the bottom) pants with a dressy top instead of a dress if you so choose. Remember that only the crew will see that you wear the same outfit twice--and I don't think they care...

Look forward to seeing you on the 4th!

M-L

If you already have the black and white one, I wouldn't get the red and white one at all. If you want a dress with colour in it, I think that the deep red one looks more sophisticated (less Barbie / Jordan than the pink one).

Other things to consider:

1. Can you wear the same shoes with each of the dresses?

2. There should be 2 'ball nights' each way. You could get away with 2 dresses - and it looks like you are already covered for the black and white ball. Another black could be dressed up with different accessories for 2 different nights

3. Its your honeymoon - go for it! Take a colour, stand out!

4. Eating and drinking. If you over indulge, you may find that what fits on day 1 will not fit on day 10.....

Finally - many of these dresses are 'full' which perhaps lends themselves to ball nights. Have you thought of getting a more sleek / long cocktail style dress which flows / falls more lightly. I guess as if you were going to a film premiere... or the Oscars (though perhaps not this year!!)

Jo

p.s. please don't drink all of the champagne .... I am getting on as you get off!

Archived