Board is costing me!

dtchem1

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but let me tell you about an experience I had cruising with my own equipment....

We were going to Mexico, which necessitated a flight from the east coast to west. I thought, ok...I don't want to schlep my regulator through security multiple times in the airports because I ALWAYS get stopped and...well, you know the drill. So, I packed it in with my gear.

Got to Mexico, couple days before the dive and I pull it out of the bag, which was locked w/TSA approved locks, to inspect it. To my amazment, the thing fell apart in my hands. For the LIFE of me I could not get it put back together, nothing fit right. Fortunately, I decided not to dive, so it was really no big deal.

Upon my return home I took the regulator to my dive shop. The owner took one look at it and said, "this didn't fall apart, it had to be TAKEN apart" and he proceeded to show me what had to happen in order to put it back together.

That means....SOMEONE in TSA took my regulator apart. This concerns me on a NUMBER of different levels. No, there wasn't any of the little cards saying they had been in my luggage either.

Lesson learned...I never pack my regulator any more. I'll STOP an entire line in airport security while they ponder the danger of my regulator rather than have some TSA agent risk my life by messing with my equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the above post - not sure why I did that!

Thank you all so much for all your help in our preparations for our trip. We had a great time, with the exception of an unsafe dive in Tortola. We took a regulator, BCD, masks, snorkels and fins and rented the other regulator and BCD and air tanks. We had no problems with either the rentals or the equipment we brought; however, I always have problems with rentals myself, which is why I wanted to bring my own BCD (DIVA) and regulator (Aeris A1). My height and size make it difficult to fit comfortably. Those things were well worth the purchase and hassle of bringing along.

I sincerely wish you all many beautiful dives in perfect weather!

Denise

Sorry for the above post - not sure why I did that!

Thank you all so much for all your help in our preparations for our trip. We had a great time, with the exception of an unsafe dive in Tortola. We took a regulator, BCD, masks, snorkels and fins and rented the other regulator and BCD and air tanks. We had no problems with either the rentals or the equipment we brought; however, I always have problems with rentals myself, which is why I wanted to bring my own BCD (DIVA) and regulator (Aeris A1). My height and size make it difficult to fit comfortably. Those things were well worth the purchase and hassle of bringing along.

I sincerely wish you all many beautiful dives in perfect weather!

Denise

What happened in Tortola? I'm going to be there April 17th. Not sure who the dive operator is for the cruise line.

Archived