Chankanaab - Royal Dolphin Swim

DaParson

My family took advantage of the Chankanaab Royal Dolphin Swim. It was absolutely fantastic! We also Snorkeled while we were there.

We did not book it through Carnival, as it was unavailable. We had to get our own transportation, but there were plenty of cabs at the Port in Cozumel.

You can go to my blog: http://www.daparsonfishing.blogspot.com and watch our family dolphin video. You can also watch the video of a Progreso fishing trip we took.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Mark

023.jpg.81b3dd3fd9082853920c47954fb72562.jpg

Mark - How did you find transportation? I will be in there in March with my 10-yr old nephew and wanted to do this with him. How far from port was it?

Thanks!

Right off the dock, there is a shopping center. There were all kinds of taxi's around. We had 18 people to transport ... and I think it was 30bux a van for 2 vans.

The drive was about 10 minutes - and all the cab drivers knew exactly were it was.

You will love it! It was a once in lifetime pleasure!

Mark

Did they tape the video for you or did someone in your party tape it? Were the extra people in your party allowed to watch you all?

They tape and take pictures - then sell them to you right after you finish. They usher you into a viewing room - show you the DVD - and you can buy it before you leave. Same with the pictures. They have them ready for you to view. After researching here - I learned that they do negotiate. We bought 16 - 5x7 pics and the DVD for $150.00. Yea ... it is pricey -- but it was a once in a lifetime experience. The photo in the original post was one they took. I didn't ask - but I doubt they would let anyone out of the staging piers to take pictures or video.

The people in our party that didn't participate were able to watch from the shore ... they clapped, hooted and hollared ... we were able to hear them ... but my family is pretty loud. They also videoed - but the tape was nothing that compared to what the resort offered.

Hope this helps!

Mark

DH, me , DS (6), & DD (4) want to do Dolphin encounter at Chankanaab at 3:30pm (only time available). What is available in this Park that we can do from 10-3:30? Water toys? Beach? restaurant? shower / changing area? Locker? thanks for the info.

DH, me , DS (6), & DD (4) want to do Dolphin encounter at Chankanaab at 3:30pm (only time available). What is available in this Park that we can do from 10-3:30? Water toys? Beach? restaurant? shower / changing area? Locker? thanks for the info.

There is a Snorkeling area that we used for about 1 1/2 Hours before our Dolphin Adventure. It cost $15.00 - (10 for snorkel, flipper, mask - 5 for air inflatable vest) - and you could use it all day. There were also some nature trails to go on - a swimming pool - a beach area - and plenty of shower/changing rooms. There were also places to eat, etc. It really pretty much was a full service place!

Hope this helps!

Mark

796445938_IMG_2683-Copy.JPG.af361856b3106ea5a8f607821942861e.JPG

45227483_IMAG0008-Copy.JPG.d74116873e696a501d0c9fe99b2724c5.JPG

I think that the cab fare was about $2.00 - 3.00 a person - one way - but we rented 2 vans for all the people that we had .... I think if you don't book one of the Adventures with the Dolphins (there are several levels) that general admission is $16.00. As far as the snorkel gear? I really don't know.

Here is the website for the Cozumel place: http://www.*****cozumel/

Hope this helps!

Mark

We were in Cozumel on the Valor the first week in January. We also did the Royal Swim at Chankanaab Park and loved it. A great experience. For a complete explanation of the differences in the various dolphin swims, I'll reprint my piece from a previous thread:

"Yes, with the Royal Swim at Chankanaab Park, you go in the water with the dolphins. Not exactly free swimming, but you are in the big part of the enclosure with them. You swim out, then two of them come up behind , you grab onto their dorsal fins and they tow you for 30-40 feet. Then you swim out again (not necessarily immediately), lie flat in the water and the two dolphins come up behind and each put their noses under one of your feet and they lift you up out of the water and propel you along for the same 30-40 feet. Also you go out in the water with them and they dance around with you and do their leaps out of the water. You get to hold their heads and kiss them, you put your arms out and they swim up and let you hold them, and you probably will get to feed them a fish. It's all pretty "up close and personal".

The Dolphin Encounter is not nearly as varied as this. I think you get to kiss them and touch them, but you are in the small areas of the dolphin enclosure and you don't actually swim with them as described above.

The thing to do is go to the website www.cometocozumel.com and check it out. They describe specifically what each package includes. This is the official booking agency for Chankanaab Park. If you go to the park website and try to book tickets, it just sends you to cometocozumel.com, so you can trust them.

Once again, I booked the Royal Swim through their website because carnival Shore Excursions only offered the lesser packages, like the Dolphin Encounter and I wanted the whole deal. We were very happy with what we got.

There are two dolphin experience places on Cozumel, the one at Chankanaab Park and one called, I believe, Dolphinaris. I don't know anything about Dolphinaris.

The Royal Swim booked online was $139 per person. Expensive, sort of, but definitely worth it. Carnival Shore Excursions had Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab Park for $115 and Dolphin Swim and Snorkel at Chankanaab Park for $165. We saw the people doing this one and they paid more to get less than we got. Carnival also lists Dolphin Swim and Ride for $169. It doesn't say where this is and I didn't investigate more. It may be the same thing, probably at Dolphinaris, but I don't know, and it definitely cost more than what we paid.

Carnival also lists Dolphin Trainer for $255. I think this takes place in Chankanaab, but I'm not sure. It is available at cometocozumel.com, not sure of the price. This is a longer, more intensely educational experince with the dolphins, but with less "rides". We might try that at some time in the future.

We had to take a cab to the park from the cruise ship pier, but this was the same whether you booked online or with Carnival. The transport was not included in either case. Cabs are very plentiful at the pier, drivers all speak English, the fare (for the whole cab) is set at $10, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the park, depending on which pier the ship is at.

They also sell photos and dvd videos of the whole experience afterwards. Not cheap, but worth it for an experience of a lifetime."

Hope this gives you a few extra insights.

Happy cruising! :)

Also in answer to an above question, you can bring your own snorkel gear to the park. You don't use any gear for the Royal Swim with the dolphins, but if you want to snorkel before or after, you can bring your own gear or rent it there. While doing the dolphin swim, you get a locker to keep your stuff in.

Archived