Anyone recently sail with Island Girl?

cotondog

Hi All,

I see some reviews of the Island Girl Day Sail in this forum. I was wondering if someone could give me a more up to date review perhaps from the last 6 months or so. How was the food, is the boat in nice condition, do they give you flotation devices, how were the snorkeling locations and just the overall experience? Rumbaba gets such great reviews, just wondering if any other day sail outfit compares? I would prefer not to go to Red Hook, but if it is going to be a better sail then of course we would. Traveling with 2 younger kids so I want them to really enjoy the experience also. Thanks ahead for all the help!:)

Honestly, we weren't interested in the food!

We were on the morning excursion and had just eaten breakfast..

They had a variety of different drinks and I believe cheese and crackers and several other things. We did not book the excursion for the food since we have all we want or NEED on the cruise.

If you are looking for a good time and not be run over by the big crowds then this is for you.

Yes they do have aminities. The family lived on the boat and sailed it themselves from California... you are made to feel at home. You get a one on one experience.

We can't wait to do this again.

http://www.yachtadventures.biz/meet_crew.htm - 16k this is the link for them...

• 4 weeks later...

We were in St Thomas 2/7/08 and chartered Island Girl for a half day sail. What a wonderful time we had. Captain Mike met us at dock right as we got off the ship. He walked us a short distance where we all boarded a small boat.(it was basically a dingy) We took that over to his beautiful 38 foot sail boat Island girl. We unhooked and started to motor out of the chanel. One we were clear we unfurled the foresail and cut the motor. The seas were not to too rurff, but one of our group (there is a max of 6) was a little queasy. We ended up in a small bay called wreck bay. We put on our snorkel gear and jumped in. Captain Mike has these neet little scooters that pull you around in the water, so we snorkled for a long time and did not get tired. After we finished we climbed back on board and hoisted the sail back up for our return trip. We were served some snack along with some rum punch and some cold beers. He dropped us back at the dock and we still had some time left to enjoy St Thomas. If you choose Island Girl please give Captain Mike our best wishes. It was a day our group ejoyed immensely.

engineer

We were probably in the water for and hour. Wreck cove is not the greatest snorkeling I have done, but we had three couples with us that had not snorkeled before. We had a great time.

engineer

We were probably in the water for and hour. Wreck cove is not the greatest snorkeling I have done, but we had three couples with us that had not snorkeled before. We had a great time.

engineer

My DH and I have booked a private half day sail with Island Girl on March 18. I was just wondering if you tipped Captain Mike after your day with him. :)

Captain mike had a crew member named Jessica. It was her first day crewing for him. She was a wonderful young lady who took care of all our needs. She was in the water with us as we snorkeled, but stayed out of the way. I think she was just there keeping an eye on us. We tipped her at the end of the trip. We gave her approximately $20.00 per couple. I hope this helps

engineer

We have sailed with Rumbaba twice before and were looking to try something different this time. We've booked the Island Girl for next Tuesday and I will return here and report, after we return. We expect a glorious day.

Captain mike had a crew member named Jessica. It was her first day crewing for him. She was a wonderful young lady who took care of all our needs. She was in the water with us as we snorkeled, but stayed out of the way. I think she was just there keeping an eye on us. We tipped her at the end of the trip. We gave her approximately $20.00 per couple. I hope this helps

engineer

Thanks engineer! This helped me out a lot! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We spent a day on Island Girl last week. Since we have sailed with Rumbaba twice, I will tell you about the comparison. Capt. Mike picks you up right in the port area. No taxi to Red Hook required. We took the dingey right out to the boat and started our day. A young man named Patrick, was the 1st mate of the day.

We had lovely weather and a beautiful sail to Christmas Cove and Turtle Bay. There was excellent snorkeling in both locations. The power scooters available on the Island Girl give a whole new dimension to the snorkeling experience. Capt Mike came into the water with us at the first stop and Patrick came in at the second stop. They were helpful in finding fish and turtles.

The Island Girl is a bit bigger than Rumbaba. There is more room in the cockpit area. That said, Rumbaba had a much better set up for getting on and off the boat. On Island Girl, you must climb a ladder on the side to get on, and jump into the water to get off. Rumbaba has steps at the back of the boat, with a fresh water shower when you come back from snorkeling. Food award goes hands down to Rumbaba. No comparison. So, if food is important to you, Rumbaba is your boat. If power snorkeling is more important, then Island Girl is for you.

We had a wonderful day with Capt Mike. He has a very laid back personality and seemed very vested in providing a good experience for us. I would love to sail with him again.

Hope this is helpful. Happy Sailing to all Cruise Critics. :D

We did do a full day sail. Mike picked us up at the pier at 9am and dropped us off at 4:20pm, which is about an hour after the contracted time. We had crackers and dip for a snack, mid-morning, and grilled chicken sandwiches and pasta salad for lunch. Yummy brownies for dessert. We drank water and diet coke. Not too exciting, I know, but we're not drinkers of alcohol. They offered, though!:)

Enjoy your day!

He told us 9:30 to 4:00-4:30.

Were the waves high causing the boat to go up and down a lot? I'll probably take a seasick pill.

Another question: If you had to jump in the water, how'd you get back in? Couldn't you climb a ladder down into the water?

They offered to put the ladder down, for us to climb down into the water, so I'm sure that's an option if you need it.

Yes, it was a bit rough sailing out. I had taken some Bonine and was glad I did. It's so beautiful on that water, that it will distract you from any seasickness! :D

I have a few questions.....

How easy, or difficult, is it to climb the ladder back into the boat?

If you use the power snorkel thing (Sea Scooter), can you still take underwater photos or do you need both hands for that?

Would you suggest taking a nice digital camera for above water photos or will it get wet?

Thanks!

How easy, or difficult, is it to climb the ladder back into the boat?

(It's about 4-5 rungs, straight up. Our friends are VERY large people and were able to do it, so unless someone is frail, I don't there there would be an issue.)

If you use the power snorkel thing (Sea Scooter), can you still take underwater photos or do you need both hands for that?

(You can release the power scooter and any time and let it float on top of the water. No issue taking photos. It's real purpose is helping you get from one area to another, faster.)

Would you suggest taking a nice digital camera for above water photos or will it get wet?

(I had a nice digital camera with me and had no issues with wetness.)

Ianabanana is right on the money. The Sea scooter will just flot on the surface when you let go of it. I took many under water shots with a 35mm disposable and kept the digital on board for shot of the boat and crew. You'll really enjoy your day.

engineer

Thank you both for the answers. Someone in our party had knee surgery a few weeks ago and I just wanted to make sure she'd be ok on the ladder.

Does anyone have any photos from their daysail with Island Girl that they'd like to share? :)

Archived