Anyone recently sail with Island Girl?

cotondog

Thanks for the info and recent feedback "lanabanana". Glad you all had a good expereince. Power snorkel sounds fun but lunch sounds a little ordinary. We took a champagne cattamaran sail in St. Thomas a few years ago and the experience was fantastic - similar to yours but about 20 people. The food was awesome and they provided unlimited champagne, wine, beer, soda, water and of course, rum punch. Nice, relaxing peaceful day away from the crowds. It's all good - just different experiences! Not having to find a taxi is a plus. Dingy sounds fun all in itself!

• 3 weeks later...

I was psyched to take a cat and snorkel half day trip. Can't say I've been on the water much in the past though. Is trouble with sea sickness common on these trips? I'm hearing that bonine is a good remedy to take?

• 4 weeks later...

Sailor Gal:

We are also considering the 1/2 day Champagne Cat Sail. Did you book yours through Royal Caribbean? Can't decide whether to take the big group one that RC offers or Captain Mike. You get some beach time with the RC excursion. Does anyone know if you get to see alot of St. John with Captain Mike? Any input from anyonewould be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I sailed with Island Girl last Thursday, May 15. Captain Mike met us at Yacht Haven for a quick dinghy ride to Island Girl. The ladder, for those who were curious, is made of wood with the rungs going deep into the water making it very easy to climb on board from both the dinghy and in the water.

We chose Island Girl (my second time on her) so we could try the power scooters. Mike didn't have those a few years ago. My friends were not as experienced as I and Mike spent a good amount of time fitting their equipment and making sure they knew how to use it. If we had requested it, he would have gone in the water with us, but we preferred to go on our own. We took a mooring in Turtle Cove and spent half our time on the reefs enjoying the tropical fish and the other half in the deeper water swimming with the turtles. For the most part, we were the only boat in the cove. Jolly Mon came for a bit, but left after us (I've sailed with Jolly Mon, too, and chose Island Girl for the second time this vacation).

After our hour long swim, Mike greeted us with beverages and a lovely snack tray with crackers and cheese, apples and oranges.

Many have questioned the condition of Island Girl. Let me tell you from firsthand boatowners experience that she is not unlike any other privately owned vessel. If you are expecting a spotless, crewed, million dollar yacht, then this is not the excursion for you. If you go knowing that this 30 year old boat was home to Mike and his family for many years and has spent a long time in the Caribbean sun and water, then you will enjoy your day. I poked downstairs a bit after reading someone else's highly negative review, and other than a net full of stuffed animals, I keep the same amout of gear, charts, books and provisions on my boat. Remember that there is not as much space to store things on a boat as you have in your home, necessitating full shelves and lockers and the appearance of clutter. My friend used the head and there were no issues with flushing. As a Coast Guard registered boat, you are required to carry certain equipment and Island Girl is registered as such and is a safe vessel up to our USCG standards.

Mike was kind enough to dinghy us to town for a bit of shopping after our half day excursion.

I have no qualms recommending Island Girl to anyone who is looking for an intimate excursion with lots of freedom to do what you want without people looking over your shoulder. Should my cruising or land vacations ever find me in St. Thomas again, I would sail on Island Girl without reservation.

Happy to answer any questions.

Jeri

We did do a full day sail. Mike picked us up at the pier at 9am and dropped us off at 4:20pm, which is about an hour after the contracted time. We had crackers and dip for a snack, mid-morning, and grilled chicken sandwiches and pasta salad for lunch. Yummy brownies for dessert. We drank water and diet coke. Not too exciting, I know, but we're not drinkers of alcohol. They offered, though!:)

Enjoy your day!

This was just the post I was looking for. ;) I was debating between a full day and a half day. I need enough time after the sail to hit a Diamonds International for my charm and thats it. I was also wondering what they had for lunch because I am a very picky eater. Chicken and brownies sound good to me. If we are in port from 9 - 6 I should have enough time for the full day and my charm.

Archived