return trip home from YVR--what's the earliest recommende?

Hello everyone

I am sailing on the Carnival Spirit Sept 17th-24th, 2008. I am looking for airfare now, and I was wondering on Wed. Sept. 24th when in your opinion is the earliest that day should we try to return home? Time shown that we arrive back to Vancouver is at 7AM but I am curious as to when they actually let people off the ship that opt to do self-assist with their own luggage, time to get back to the airport, customs, etc.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

I would not book before noon.. I swear even with self-assist the Vancouver airport is a ZOO! If Carnival participates in the US Direct program I would take that option.. Unfortunately there were no spaces left when we decided to do that.. You check your luggage onboard the ship, have no hassle with it at airport etc.. IMHO the only way to go if you are going directly from ship to airport

Hi CheepWrent,

My family is also on the Carnival Spirit sailing from 9/17 to 9/24. We are flying in on the 16th from Boston. I have the same question concerning the return flights. We'll have my 86 year young mother along, and running to catch a plane won't be an option! Please feel free to share any tips you may get concerning this cruise and I will do the same.

Debbie

Hi CheepWrent,

My family is also on the Carnival Spirit sailing from 9/17 to 9/24. We are flying in on the 16th from Boston. I have the same question concerning the return flights. We'll have my 86 year young mother along, and running to catch a plane won't be an option! Please feel free to share any tips you may get concerning this cruise and I will do the same.

Debbie

Hi Debbie!

Initially we were going to come up to Vancouver two days before the cruise and go home the day of the cruise. But since all of the flights returning home would not be until late at night, we decided to go up the day before and return home the next day around 1130. So that's our plan! We found airfare at a good price and believe it or not - one way trips on two different airlines. Can we go NOW??!!

I would not book a flight out of Vancouver any earlier then 12:30/1:00. The latter would be my preference! Even at those times you will need to make sure you are off the ship by 9:00. I have been on close to 20 cruises and at least half of them I didn't get off the ship until 9:30. Then you have to collect your luggage...which is usually time consuming. What if one of your party's luggage is missing. (this happened to me once) Then you have time to file a claim form.

Then it depends on what mode of transportation you are taking to the airport. If you take a cab it will take approx a half hour...if I remember correctly. If you take the ships shuttle bus you are at their mercy. We have sat on a ships bus for close to an hour a couple of times waiting for them to fill them up and mess with peoples luggage. Never again!

Then after you finally get to the airport you have to go through security.(not sure if you have to go through customs). My one and only time in the Vancouver airport it took close to an hour to go through security. So when they say to get to the airport 2 hrs early I would listen...especially if you haven't pre checked in via the internet.

So my point here is why risk missing your plane with an early flight? You may make an 11:30/12:00 flight if everything goes perfect in all the cases I mentioned above. But what if it doesn't?

I am taking an Amtrak bus to Seattle out of Vancouver after our cruise next spring. I'm a little worried about not making it to the bus station for our 12:00pm departure. The Amtrak station is only a mile or two from the pier...and we only have to be there 1/2 before departure. So ideally we should have no problem making it...but I have seen so many things go wrong disembarking from a cruise to know you can never be sure. Although this hasn't happened to me...I have read of times where for some reason the ship wasn't cleared for disembarking until 10:00. It is rare that this happens...but it does happen.

So do yourself and your family a favor and don't book an early flight. It is a very stressful way to end a nice vacation.

Good Luck

CaribbeanCrazy

OOPs! I read your post wrong.:o I thought it said your 11:30 flight was for the day the cruise returns. Well maybe my post will help Debbie or someone else contemplating what time to book a flight out.

Debbie....your right! You wouldn't want to make your 86 year old grandma sprint through the airport. Believe me I had to do it once because of the lateness of my SIL and we almost missed the plane. The doors were already shut.:eek: I can't believe they let us on! My heart was beating so hard I thought I was going to collaspe!! I was only 40 at the time:eek:

If I was flying out of Yvr the same day I would not book a flight before 2pm. If you get off the ship early you still have to deal with heavy traffic and there is massive amounts of road construction right now and will still be in Sept.

There is not a chance that the drive to the airport would only take half an hour,maybe a one time but not now. We happen to be on the same cruise ands its going to be nice to get off the ship and be home before noon.

We lived in Vancouver for 16 years and now live in northern BC - so we fly through YVR often.

Flying into the US from YVR you go through US customs in Vancouver. Saves a step when you land at your home airport, but is more time-consuming at the front end.

I'd give yourself 5 hours from the time the ship docks. Time at the pier, 1/2 an hour to get to the airport 2 hours before your flight time. The Vancouver airport is probably one of the nicest you'll come across. "Downtown pricing", reasonable places to eat, and an amazing collection of northwest native art. So if you're a bit early, it's not the worst thing.

Cheers

Robin

• 3 weeks later...
I would not book before noon.. I swear even with self-assist the Vancouver airport is a ZOO! If Carnival participates in the US Direct program I would take that option.. Unfortunately there were no spaces left when we decided to do that.. You check your luggage onboard the ship, have no hassle with it at airport etc.. IMHO the only way to go if you are going directly from ship to airport

Caroline,

Does Carnival participate in the us direct program southbound? According to the frequently asked question, they only participate in northbound. If you even had an opportunity of participating, how were you able to do this? I am flying alaska air and some of my family members are flying united. Any help you provide, would greatly assist my family.

thanks

Thanks CaribbeanCrazy and everyone else for input. It looks like we'll be booking a 1:35 pm flight back to Boston. I definitely don't want to end the cruise stressed out so I pray everything will work out ok. Can't wait! Hey, anyone heard anything about the Holiday Inn Express on E. Hastings? I am still checking out hotels for the night before the cruise.

Thanks!:)

Archived