What you doing about carseats?

whineconnoiseur

So for our ports of call we thought we'd grab a cab (10 min ride) and go to the beach. I honestly can't imagine lugging our gigantic Britax Marathon seat around all day. But on the other hand, I've never gone without a car seat before.

Are there other options I'm not aware of? What are you guys doing?

Our ports of call are Cozumel and Grand Cayman if it matters.

I am copying one of my answers from my post under "Just off rcci with 11 month old, 2 yr old and 13 yr old - any questions?" -- as I think it might help.

We have been traveling with our britax since my son was about 9 months and outgrew his baby bucket. We fly a lot, and at first we always used the car seat on the plane. It is recommended -- it is probably safer and we always bought a seat for my son anyhow -- so it wasn't a big issue.

Things to keep in mind about using the carseat on the plane:

* you have to buy a seat for your child or hope for an empty seat. I have rarely been on a plane with a lot of empty seats in the past two years.

* it has to be installed in the window position. FAA regulations require it not block the exit of a row. This kind of sucks as it's easier if the baby is in the middle of us.

* the seat in front cannot recline (most of the time) -- and if you install forward facing it is almost impossible for baby not to kick the seat in front of them.

* with our britax, it makes the tray table non-usable.

After several flights using the car seat we decided to gate check once and have not gone back. It gives everyone a lot more room -- gives my son space to play and enables me to hold him while he sleeps. I did buy the HUGS harness -- but I ended up hating that thing so I am sure I may get some flack for this --

My son has always done wonderfully on our flights (our longest being 7 hours) -- and I credit that to his good disposition, lack of ear problems and our ardent planning. We bring lots and lots of things for him to do --- playdough, trains, crayons, markers, stickers, window clings, snacks, drinks, and a DVD PLAYER. By the way, did I mention the DVD PLAYER?????????

I have done a lot of worrying about flights -- and though it is more work with a baby/toddler -- it is NEVER as horrible or difficult as I imagined or feared.

Since we stopped using it (carseat) during the flight, we simply gatecheck our stroller and carseat. I use the Maclaren to hold the carseat through the airport, ask for gatecheck tags at the gate, wheel it down the ramp and pick it back up at the door at the end of our flight. I always install it at our destination in our rental cars, cabs, and small shuttles -- never in bus type vehicles simply because it isn't possible. I like having my own seat -- that I know hasn't been in an accident and how to install correctly.

The cruise presented special circumstances because not all taxis in port had seat belts and I didn't know what to do with it while say, at the beach. In Cozumel we took a 7 minute cab ride to Chankanaub marine park without a seat -- there simply were no seat belts in the cab. There were lockers there -- so the seat could have possibly been stored in one. In Playa Del Carmen, I specifically rented a vehicle to go to Akumal -- so that I could install the seat and have a place to store it while on the beach. In Belize it was a direct tender -- so there was no need for a seat. Key West was a walking port.

Anyhow, I hope that my answers help somewhat. If I missed something just let me know!

How old is your little one? Mine is 3 and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've never had her in a plane without her Marathon before, but I think it might be time, just so she has some leg room (and doesn't kick the guy in front of her the whole way to Ft Lauderdale). However, I think we will instead gate check a booster seat (she's over 30 lbs) to use in FL for taxis and for transportation in ports.

Archived