Leaky Masks(s) - Chronic Problem

jaguarprincess

Several months ago, I engaged in an exchange with a cc member regarding the fact that she could not find a mask that didn't leak. My husband had the same problem and had been told by a dive master that it would probably be impossible to find such a mask, because aging had produced deep, vertical grooves along the inner sides of both his cheeks.

Flash forward to Phi Phi Island, December 2008. It was the best shallow-water, wade-in snorkeling I'd encountered in ages, and I finally persuaded my husband to borrow a mask from the dive shop. NO LEAKING. We bought it (or, rather, we paid the fine for losing it). The secret seemed to be that the lenses were small, but the phlange underneath the lenses extended far down his cheeks.

Good luck and good snorkeling to all.

Glad that he found a mask after all this time. :) I too have always had the leaky mask problem not because of lines but because my face is so narrow. I bought my 4 year old daughter a snorkel set for xmas and lo and behold the mask fits me perfectly! :o So I will take my toddlers snorkel and mask with me on our cruise.... Hope she doesn't mind! :o

Glad that he found a mask after all this time. :) I too have always had the leaky mask problem not because of lines but because my face is so narrow. I bought my 4 year old daughter a snorkel set for xmas and lo and behold the mask fits me perfectly! :o So I will take my toddlers snorkel and mask with me on our cruise.... Hope she doesn't mind! :o

I had the same problem!

I just replaced our equipment. I found the youth equipment all fit me better than even the smallest adult stuff. I'd never given much thought to the size of the mouthpiece, but I'm much more comfortable with the smaller one I just bought.

Archived