Any suggestions for Belize w/Kids

kelcan

Hi there,

We are new to the board and new to cruising. Looking forward to our sailing on the Navigator of the Seas 02/11/08 and leaving this very cold New England weather.

I'm traveling with my DH and 2 DD's. 4.5 & 8 years old. I have heard great things about the kid's club and hope they are true!

We booked the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel and are still trying to figure out what to do in Belize.

We are beach people and would like to try snorkeling with the kids but, not sure where to go. If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it.

Oh, I just thought of another thing we are considering for our Belize stop in April. There is a rain forest tour that you can visit the Black Howler Monkeys. They show pictures of people feeding them! I don't know how often you can get that close, but we thought that could be fun! A lot of times, for ideas for excursions I go to my cruiseline sight and search them for my cruise and then do private searches to save money.

Also, in New England here! I am jealous you get to escape the bitterness so much sooner!

A few year back, we took a water taxi to Cay Caulker, a sweet little island that is easy to walk around with cute little restaurants and a few shops. There are some hotels there as well. I googled Cay Caulker and got an e-mail address to a local hotel that was quick to answer any questions I had --like, how safe is the drinking water (they use purified water). I bought some delicious fresh roasted cashews from a guy walking around selling them on the street out of a basket (they were still warm from the oven). There is a place called "the split" where the island was split in two by a hurricane where we spent some time snorkeling on our own. We ate lunch at a little place right on the beach and had waffles as big as your head covered in fresh fruit. Yum. I still have dreams about what a fun, relaxing day that was, and would absolutely go back. by the way, at the time the kids were around 4 and 7 years old.

We took a Carnival cruise to Belize and once we were on board we booked an excursion that was not available online prior to boarding. We took a tender right to a private island called Bannister Cay. They did hair braiding, temp tattoos, etc. Plus they had kayaks. Good Luck!

Royal Caribbean is offering this excursion for $39/$29.

Sun Beach Resort

Enjoy a full day soaking up the sun at one of the most beautiful island beaches in Belize. A 10 minute boat ride lets you discover splendid ocean views as you make your way to the marvelous island of Water Caye including all the facilities that will allow you to fully experience tropical Belize with comfort. Surrounded by the warm blue waters, relax under the shade in a hammock or soak up the sun stretched on a lounge chair accompanied by your favorite tropical cocktail concoction prepared just for you at the beach bar. Or if you choose, warm up with any of the many fun beach games and later refresh yourself by jumping in the ocean from the water trampoline. Once you've built up an appetite, the island beach side BBQ will be waiting for you with delicious hot or cold dishes. For your convenience, restrooms and freshwater showers are available. The Water Sports Center offers kayaks, banana-rides, and floats for rent. Additional activities are available at an extra cost and are not part of the tour package. This beautiful and secluded beach resort is only accessible by boat.

Included are roundtrip transportation, hammocks, lounge chairs, water-trampoline, water volleyball, freshwater showers and beach chairs. Note: It is recommended that you bring sun-block, hat, sunglasses, swimwear, towel and a change of clothes. Additional charges will apply for food and drinks.

We stopped in Belize on the Rhapsody of the Seas about 5 years ago and we went on a tour that included their "zoo" and I use that term loosely. Then we had a native lunch and went on a boat ride through the mangroves. My boys were 8 and 6 and they loved it. We saw monkeys, alligators, manatees, wild birds etc. I was really disturbed by the abject poverty in Belize. I hope that it is better now

Our family of 8 is renting a boat and driver for the day. I got his name from another poster on the Belize board. I emailed him and he's called me three times!

She recommended him highly and will be using him again in May. We are traveling in April. Since I haven't gone yet I can't tell you how it will all work out but he is meeting us with his boat and taking us to the beach...I believe Bannister Island. We requested to go to a tropical beach. Then he said he'd take us for some snorkling if we wanted and if there was time or we wanted to look for manatees we could ride over to that area as well.

Basically we'll decide what we want for the day....I'm still researching but I think he's got some good suggestions and if we find we want to "move on to another activity" we'll have the flexibility to do so.

I'll post back after we travel.

Judy

ps we've taken private boat trips in St Thomas (sailing) and Barbados (catamaran)....so the private boat trip isnt new for us.

Archived