Century review 1/21 sailing

phinn

This was my 8th cruise (second on X), and my husband's first. We are a 2-1/2 drive to the port. Because of these boards, I learned earlier that it is free parking for handicap, so we did not have to pay the $20/day parking fee. Thank you guys! Once inside the terminal, we were moving through line quickly as we had priority embarkation. Lemonade and fruit punch offered as we came up to the ramp, and champagne once inside. Also bottle of champagne chilled in our room. We only had to wait a short time to get to our room (#1058). This is a SS and the first time I had sailed in such a catagory. Previously I have had inside, window, and twice a regular room with balcony. Good size room, and the width of it allowed my DH to manuver without difficulty. The balcony was large and we ate our breakfast there every morning. Our butler was Elvis and cabin steward Anak. Between the two of them, we felt we had top notch service. The first night at dinner, the water was choppy going out. I went up to my cabin as I did not feel so good, and Elvis saw that and brought me hot tea and told me to eat a green apple. I did and felt much better for it. Fresh fruit and canapes every day. Didn't care for the canapes so he brought me cheese platter.... delicious. I did not find the areas of the ship that others feel needs attention, but then my focus was not on that so much. I did see people cleaning, wiping, vacuuming everywhere. Noise from above was at a minimum, and never interferred with our sleep time. Food in general was very, very good. My DH ordered from the vegetarian menu and he thought all of it was excellent. Our waiter was Vladimir. He was on top of everything 100% of the time. We had a table for 8 and we ended up the last table out nearly every night on early seating. We ate lunch in the Islands Cafe and there was a great variety and food was very good there as well. We had reservations for 4th night in Murano's, but that did not turn out. Another post regarding that one. The only entertainment show we went to see was the magician, and we felt that was poor show. For excursions, we walked into Key West on our own. I had to go to the Blonde Giraffe and have that famous key lime pie on a stick. Ummmmmmmmm, still can taste it. Not much else, we didn't do much shopping at all. In Grand Cayman, we chose the Underwater Observatory tour. We were led to the tour bus and were seperated along with one other couple to a different bus. Driver was a bit rude and didn't interact with passengers. We went to Hell and were told we had 15 minutes there. It was poorly kept up and 30 seconds would have sufficed. Nothing but the rocks and a souvenier stand. On to the Turtle Farm. We were rushed into another group already in session. Didn't like that, but we had a good tour and felt that it was worth it. Last stop was the glass bottom type boat. Large enough for all to see, this was very well done. The young fellow who did the talking really knew his stuff. We saw a lot of fish, coral, and ship wrecks. This tour took the most time, and it was worth it. All in all, they would have done better to take Hell out and give us more time at Turtle Farm. Disembarking went really smooth. Up and out of our cabin to Michael's Pub at 7:30. They had tea, coffee, and danish for us, but our color was called immediately so we had coffee and left the ship. By 8am, we were off. Now, we had given tips on our own, mostly above and beyond to those who worked so hard to give us a good time. As we were leaving, we realized the only cash money we had on us was $.75. We had no money to tip a porter. (bad on our part). As we went to the carrosel to get our bags, a porter approached us. My husband told him all we had and would not want him to help us for nothing. His reply was simply, you need help, I'll help you and that was that. Bless him.... we had 7 bags and he didn't flinch. Restored my faith. Outside, we had the horror of discovering our car was in the "C" garage and we were down on "F". That doesn't sound like much, but I had to leave my DH with the bags and walk back to my car. I clocked in on my way back to pick him up and it was 1.2 miles. That was poor planning on X part. I don't understand that at all. Aside from one or two things like this, would I sail X again. YES. She is a beautiful ship on a beautiful line. My husband (who can be really fussy) said as much as he wanted to get home, he really didn't want to leave the ship. If you knew him, that would say a lot about X. What didn't go right, they made right. I commend them for that. As for the short cruises, I have to say, not everyone can do a 7 or longer day cruise. I was glad that this was available for us and I hope those of you who sail her enjoy her as much as we did. Our dining friends and us are hoping to stay in touch and cruise together again.

I had to go to the Blonde Giraffe and have that famous key lime pie on a stick. Ummmmmmmmm, still can taste it.

I'm not familiar with that place, but I'm now going to give it a try. Thanks!

Outside, we had the horror of discovering our car was in the "C" garage and we were down on "F". That doesn't sound like much, but I had to leave my DH with the bags and walk back to my car. I clocked in on my way back to pick him up and it was 1.2 miles.

Have now seen that situation documented a couple of times. Yikes! I'm glad for this sailing I'll not be in my personal car.

My husband (who can be really fussy) said as much as he wanted to get home, he really didn't want to leave the ship. If you knew him, that would say a lot about X. And I'm betting that made you enjoy your vacation cruise even more. :)

I was glad that this was available for us and I hope those of you who sail her enjoy her as much as we did.

And I plan to have that same enjoyment that you did . . . and perhaps even more. Thanks!! :D

Up and out of our cabin to Michael's Pub at 7:30. They had tea, coffee, and danish for us, but our color was called immediately so we had coffee and left the ship. By 8am, we were off.

Does the Century not offer breakfast in the main dining room on disembarkation day?

I read before that there was not a deck party on any of the nights onboard. Do you know if this was just a fluke (perhaps bad weather, etc..) or has Celebrity discontinued the deck parties for shorter cruises?

As far as I could tell they just don't do it any more on five night. Not sure about longer. I always enjoyed them. I also missed the night they would put on a gala buffet. Was told that was not because of weather or anything. they just don't do them.

Archived