Belize w/ kids

kelcan

Hello,

I am new to this board and new to cruising.

We are going on RC Navigator of the Seas Feb 11th.

We are VERY excited!

I am looking for suggestions for snorkeling/beach break w/Kids.

They are 4.5 and 8 and new to snorkeling. Are there any beaches that you can snorkel from shore?

If not, are there any excursions that you would recommend for first-timers?

If we go to Bannister Island or The Sun Beach Resort are there snorkling trips that go out from there? :)

There's a snorkel/Bannister Caye/Manatee Preserve trip, through Coral Breezes I'm looking at. I just emailed them, asking about whether or not the kids could have the option of staying oboard with a family member or friend if we get in to snorkel. Based on the pictures on the Coral Breezes site, Bannister seems to be more family friendly than Caye Caulker, for sure.

Here's a link to the trip we're considering...http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Belize/manatees/cruise/tour/current_category.15/Product.150/tours_add.html?t_product=150

Our family visited Belize about two weeks ago. Although we didn't snorkel in Belize, I would like to make a personal comment about young kids snorkeling. I really think it is beyond their capabilities unless they are strong swimmers. My daughter who is 12 is a fair swimmer and tried to snorkel in Roatan. She seemed very panicky and nervous in the deep water, especially with the flippers on her feet. My son who is five tried the equipment with help but really had trouble coordinating the whole effort. Unless they are familiar with snorkeling I would focus on other beach activities. I just didn't seem to be the right fit for them and they pretty are active kids.

. . . and I think chrisv's observation is VERY important to think about seriously. Sheila, after getting in her gear and in the water, perceived quickly that the pace set by our guide was going to be much too strenuous for her, so she climbed back aboard the dive boat and worked on her tan.

Most of the excursions, however, go for one stop where there are stingrays; these prefer sand flats which are often only about three or four feet deep, and of course no one needs to wear flippers while he is standing on the bottom, although it is certainly easier to see--and breathe while doing so--wearing a mask and snorkel. So if the kids are "adventurous," and WANT a fun experience, a snorkeling outing might not be out the window. It might also be an activity which will help them to gain the confidence in the water--and the comfort wearing a mask and snorkel--that will serve them well later, when they are older and stronger and more confident. No one can strike out on his own safely in any body of water: support in some degree is always a necessity. Only you can determine for yourself how much control you must have over your own and your loved ones' environment: if you perceive hazard, trust your own judgment! ;)

Archived