Am I crazy? Baths with 18 month old and family! I think I have it figured out?!?

LakelandCat

Hi to all. My Dh and I are experienced cruisers but planning our trips now with a toddler is a new world! We will be in Tortola in April on NCL Jewel from 10am-6:30 pm. We are in our 30's and our parents are going (in their late 50's and healthy). We also as noted above will have our 18 month old with us. We may want to go to the Baths on our own via the Ferry so as not to be in a ship tour crowd and on a schedule with a group. I have read most of the threads about this port. Here is my plan:

Walk to the ferry from the dock (anyone know if this is a tendered port- 2 ships in port that day)

Ferry over to the Baths by Speedy's or Smiths

Spend some time at the top of the hill restaurant and eat lunch taking in the views

Walk down the "easier" path I have read about to spend some time taking photos, put our toes in the water (taking the toddler with us)

Ferry back to the port

Any opinions, feedback, etc. Do you think this is feasible with the toddler? Doing it on our own versus the ship tour better (time wise)? Anything else we could do/see there? There will be 4 adults total taking turns with the little guy to help us. We want a laid back day.

Happy cruising to all and thanks for any input!

Oh- only concern is that the ship gets into port at 10am and we won't make the earlier ferry at 10am...so next ferry on Speedy's is at 11:30. Ship departs at 6:30pm.

Hi to all. My Dh and I are experienced cruisers but planning our trips now with a toddler is a new world! We will be in Tortola in April on NCL Jewel from 10am-6:30 pm. We are in our 30's and our parents are going (in their late 50's and healthy). We also as noted above will have our 18 month old with us. We may want to go to the Baths on our own via the Ferry so as not to be in a ship tour crowd and on a schedule with a group. I have read most of the threads about this port. Here is my plan:

Walk to the ferry from the dock (anyone know if this is a tendered port- 2 ships in port that day)

Ferry over to the Baths by Speedy's or Smiths

Spend some time at the top of the hill restaurant and eat lunch taking in the views

Walk down the "easier" path I have read about to spend some time taking photos, put our toes in the water (taking the toddler with us)

Ferry back to the port

Any opinions, feedback, etc. Do you think this is feasible with the toddler? Doing it on our own versus the ship tour better (time wise)? Anything else we could do/see there? There will be 4 adults total taking turns with the little guy to help us. We want a laid back day.

Happy cruising to all and thanks for any input!

Oh- only concern is that the ship gets into port at 10am and we won't make the earlier ferry at 10am...so next ferry on Speedy's is at 11:30. Ship departs at 6:30pm.

Seems to me that you have a viable plan. Just leave a good time buffer on your return trip to cover any unforeseen problems.

Have a great cruise...

• 3 weeks later...

LakelandCat,

We will be on the Jewel from March 29-April 6 with our 15 month old. Is this the same time you will be on the ship? I'm in the same position as you with trying to make plans since this will be our first cruise with him. Are you taking a carseat with you? That's my biggest concern- how to get around in port with him. I would love to compare notes with you!

Take care,

Becky

Yes, do it! We went with a 26month old on our own and brought a back carrier just in case. We never used it. Do not bring a stroller, too many steps and sand everywhere. Our boy just slept on the ferry ride back. At first I was planning on walking the easy path too. We decided to go down and check it out first. The man at the booth to the entrance of the rocks suggested that the toddler would do better than us adults climbing thru. Was he ever right. The place is like a giant jungle gym. Have your husband go first, child next and mom after. There are wooden man made steps that help you climb up, some areas you will have to duck and squat thru. Our little guy just walked right thru. Water between the rocks are not too deep -ankle to knee height. We had another extended family go on the same ferry but the baby was 8months only so he just stay at the first beach with Grandma. This is one of our favourite excusion. Take Speedy, new fast vessel, movie played on tv screens below. Best thing about doing it on your own child under 5 ride ferry free. Enjoy:)

Archived