Can someone give me a good estimate...

MamaParrotHead

It probably depends on whether you do a guided tour or go on your own after hours. We went on our own after hours and it probably only took around 30 minutes to get through. You could linger longer if you really want to watch the marine life longer. But we had to get back before dinner. So we really didn't linger in front of any of the windows for too long knowing this.

It does really depend on your personal interests in the fishies. I, for one, like to spend a while there, snapping hundreds of photos. :) This past stay at Atlantis (land vacation) I went twice and took photos both times. Some ppl, though, might just want to take a fairly quick browse through the whole thing. Other ppl don't like that it is chilly inside the caves, so might take a really short walk through. Oh - and I like to stop in the gift shop inside the Dig, too, even though it is small. ;)

2.5 hours in plenty of time, even with 3 children.

You should be fine. My best guess is that the entire length of the hall you walk through, is less than a mile in length. Seems longer due to the many things to look at.

I will say that the rays can be a bit scary to look at for little eyes. You might want to prep them as to how safe they are!

Have fun!

If you love fishies, then you could easily spend a long time in there. I'm not sure about as long as 2 - 2 1/2 hours, but I never looked at the time to see how long I've spent in there any of the times I've been (and I could've easily stayed longer than I did each time, even without my camera with me - and it sounds like you're into fish more than I am).

I don't know if you'll also be allowed to the other fish areas on the property, since you won't be a hotel guest, but the clear-topped tunnel through the shark tank is a really neat thing to see, too. That is located underneath the restaurant that looks like a hut (I forget the name of it, but it is outside and a bit of a walk to get to).

Yes, there are no restrictions on taking photos. I took hundreds of them on my last trip! :) You can take pretty good photos/videos with a point & shoot camera, but even better photos with a DSLR.

There are LOTS of different types of fish, sharks, some HUGE (and also smaller) manta rays, etc. There are also a unique-looking type of lobster (in a tunnel that surrounds you - this might scare some kids [it creeped out my adult brother, LOL!]), jellyfish, man'o'war, some spikey-looking things that I'm not sure what they are (but they are cool), seahorses, and more.

There is also a station where you can touch some types of sea life - I'm not sure if you have to be on the guided tour in order to do this or not, as I've never tried either.

Most of the tanks are full of "artifacts" and "rubble" from the lost city of Atlantis. The whole thing is set up to make you feel like you're walking through caves (there are also some "artifacts" in the caves and other neat things).

If anybody has severe asthma, they should note that there is a part (which you do not need to enter to see any fish) that has steam/fog coming up out of the center of the room - don't know if that would aggrivate somebody's condition or not.

Does anyone know how much it costs to go to the digs on your own? I would think it has to be cheaper than booking through the ship and if you take a land taxi on your own you can get dropped off at the door instead of walking from the ferry terminal.

thanks

Archived