Cab Facts from Ballentyne Pier

My DH and I docked at Ballentyne last May. It probably took about 45 minutes from the time that we got off of the ship to get through customs and get a cab. The line for the cabs was long but seemed to move quickly. Once we got a cab, we were at our hotel in the West End in about 10-15 minutes. I will admit that our color was among the middle to last to be called and we really in no big hurry to get anywhere, so our wait didn't seem too bad. Hope this helps.

Anne:)

Thanks, Anne. Do you recall what time you debarked? I'm returning home via Amtrak and the Amtrak bus leaves at noon for Seattle. I'm worried about missing that bus and I'm reading about people taking late afternoon and evening flights from Vancouver.

Have others had experience with the cab situation?

Dear Betty

As you say the Amtrak bus leaves at noon you should have no problem as the Amtrak Station is only about a 5-10 min cab ride from the dock. Also you will find that if you request early debarkation they will probably have you off the ship before 9 which means you will be at the station with time to wait....

Ballentyne is t he less congested of the 2 docks as there is only ever 1 cruise ship in at that dock whereas usually at Canada Place there are 2 or 3 ships arriving and leaving at virtually the same times.

Yes I have sailed from both docks and although Canada Place is newer and more modern in looks plus supper location I actually prefer Ballantyne as it is less congested which means a faster trip thru customs / immigration... and easier pick up and drop off.

Hope this helps ... Never had to grab a cab as my Daughter always picks us up or we take the skytrain home (Vancouvers light rapid transit system).

We sailed from Ballantyne last season.

I made note of cab lines when we were coming and going.

We embarked at 11 AM (first ones) and the line was pretty long then with no cabs in line just those that made it to the pier area, pulled up filled up and left. I would say 100 people in line at that time and that was the tail end of those getting off.

On our return we were off quickly but the ship was much later getting into port for some reason. Lines were just getting started at 9AM or so.

We did not cab either way as we had vehicles nearby.

The cab problem in Vancouver is supposed to have been looked after by the addition of more licenses being issued. Time Will tell.

Hi Betty!

The ship (Radiance) was docked by 6:30-7:00am. We disembarked around 8:45-9:00am. We were in a cab no later than 10:00am and at our hotel by 10:15. You should be able to make the noon bus. If you want to take the train (and have the time), it departs Vancouver around 6:00pm. The train ride is supposed to be beautiful.

Anne:)

Reverse question ... is there a problem getting a cab from a local hotel to the Ballantyne pier to sail out of Vancouver.

Never.

The problems always seem to be getting cabs from Ballantyne back to the city / airport / wherever in the morning. Cabs prefer to go the Canada Place to pick up people as its in a nicer area of town and easier/quicker for them to get to.

I've waited up to an hour at Ballantyne trying to get a cab, whereas at Canada Place one never has to wait more than a few minutes.

Archived