Restaurants in Hawaii

amoisakis

Hello All we will be taking a cruise in November to the Hawaii islands and were wondering about great places to eat with a child. Here are our stops:

Honalulu any recommendations for lunch and dinner.

Hilo

Kona

Lahaina

Tx for all your help

PS i was told of a great hamburger joint near the surfers that is awesome. They have hamburgers with pineapple. Does any one know of this place

How food saavy is your child? Age? Into one particular food group more than another? Are you talking for on shore excursions or are you staying for a few days before or after? You will have the option of eating on the ship, but each port offers a wide variety of local foods. If you're looking for lunch only, that might make a difference in restaurant because not all are open then (like Kona Inn)

Every island will have the standard fast food chains, along with some local favorites- nearly every place in Hawai'i that serves hamburgers will feature a hamburger with pineapple as one of their selections.

Ar you taking excursions in each port, just staying in town or renting a car. That will also make a difference as to what might be available. Also you might check with your excursions as some provide lunch as part of the tour.

Charlie

PS i was told of a great hamburger joint near the surfers that is awesome. They have hamburgers with pineapple. Does any one know of this place

It might be Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina - right on the water (actually over it) and very, very good! We were there in September and can't wait to go back!

How food saavy is your child? Age? Into one particular food group more than another? Are you talking for on shore excursions or are you staying for a few days before or after? You will have the option of eating on the ship, but each port offers a wide variety of local foods. If you're looking for lunch only, that might make a difference in restaurant because not all are open then (like Kona Inn)

Every island will have the standard fast food chains, along with some local favorites- nearly every place in Hawai'i that serves hamburgers will feature a hamburger with pineapple as one of their selections.

Ar you taking excursions in each port, just staying in town or renting a car. That will also make a difference as to what might be available. Also you might check with your excursions as some provide lunch as part of the tour.

Charlie

Thansk Charlie for getting back to me. Our daughter is very food saavy ather young age of three as we have done lots of traveling with her in the past 3 years. We will be renting a car at each port and taking in some sites but most important enjoy some beach time but would like to be able to go to some good restaurants. As for dinner places we only need a recommendation for Oahu as we will be there overnight the others lunch of breakfast places. I have heard of Dukes, Cheeseburger palace. Ant recommendations would be greatly appreciated angie

Honolulu - Well, Duke's has a great view, but it can be on/off with its service and food. We have had great meals there and then a so-so meal next time around. Can't beat the view though! We also enjoy Sam Chow's (breakfast, lunch & crab) and there is a huge selection. Another local favorite is Maple Garden (it's buried back in the city on 909 Isenberg St. - across form the old stadium). Whenever we're in the city, family always drags us there. Good news is that they love kids and really dote upon them! another thing to do is ask the hotel staff what they would recommend has a local favorite for the keikis - they will be sure to have several suggestions. There is also Ala Moana, which has a food court and various chain restaurants (should you run into one of 'those' kinds of days).

Hilo - people may scream, but I love Ken's Pancake House - it's 24 hours and the menu is available for the entire time. The syrups are the real star. If you're heading up to Volcano National Park, stop at KTA or Safeway and pick up something from the deli and picnic at one of the many outlooks - it will be something that it not easily forgotten. We love to walk down the Kilauea-iki trail (bearing right so that you don't go down into the crater and walk until you get to the benches - what a view and by dropping down into the crater, the only thing you'll hear are birds and the wind)

Kona - for kids - Oodles of Noodles is fun. Not expensive and they have a special kids menu that is almost as good as the adults! It is a standard for our GD, who at 14 still tries for the kid's menu.

Lahaina is the only one that I'm not going to be much good with. We just don't go there as a rule. I would defer to other's suggestions for this stop.

Hope that helps a little.

Charlie

Archived